The Windy City - Off Topic A place to relax and unwind. Off topic section of the UMW.

I don't want to work XXV - Traveling sausages edition

Old 03-20-2017, 06:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 03-21-2017, 04:49 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Test drove the Q50S Hybrid yesterday.

Car broke less than a mile from the dealership. AWD system failure & "Chassis Control System" error.

Salesman tried to get me to peep the other Sport Hybrid they had on hand, I wasn't going to get stuck again.

Also drove a 6 6MT. Clutch was weird, engine sounds terrible, steering feels nice...but that's about all I could glean. Not sure how I feel about the ride/noise isolation/gearing, didn't get enough seat time.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:25 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

lol thanks Sam for getting the title of this thread right! Glad things are carrying on around here.

On Sunday my dad and I went to Veloce indoor speedway and raced go-karts. After the race ended my dad collapsed on the ground right in front of me, face-first into the concrete floor. Thankfully there were some off-duty EMTs there who went to work on him immediately until the on-duty folks arrived. His heart was stopped for about 10 minutes before the EMTs got there and shocked him, and all the medical professionals cautioned me not to get my hopes up.

When he got to the hospital they were going to begin a hypothermia treatment which would have had him in a coma for three days while they cooled and re-warmed his body in the hopes of preventing brain damage. He woke up, though, while they were getting started and was fighting the anesthesia to stay awake. We got in to see him and got him calmed down until the drugs took effect, and were told to go home and send good vibes.

My wife and I got back to the hospital at 8:00 yesterday morning, and learned that they had stopped the hypothermia treatment because he was neurologically active. He flashed double peace-signs (Richard Nixon style) when we walked in the room, and we knew he was going to be OK. Once they got the breathing tube out and we filled him in on what happened (he doesn't remember a thing), he said "well I guess no more go-karts, hey?" He's continuing to recover and, though he's not out of the woods yet, the docs are confident that he'll be back to fighting shape soon. He's got some memory issues, but that's totally normal and those will hopefully go away. They're not sure what actually happened to cause this incident; the chemical signatures of a heart attack aren't there and his heart looks clean and strong. So they'll keep him in the hospital until they develop a theory and a treatment plan, but it looks like he'll be home sometime this week.

If it weren't for those off-duty EMTs, he'd be dead. I'm going to take some CPR classes and try to learn better how to react in these situations, and I'd encourage anybody to do that. Never know when it'll come in handy. I know many of you guys have met my dad and I'm sure he'd be glad for any good thoughts or vibes you can send his way.

Sorry to be a downer, now back to regularly scheduled programming. Time to go home yet?
Old 03-21-2017, 05:53 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Wow, I'm so sorry. All of the good thoughts/vibes/etc., for him, really hope things work out for you/him/your family.
The following users liked this post:
chazzguitar (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 05:57 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Christ that's scary Charlie. Really glad he's alright, please keep us updated.

Sending good vibes your way, and to your dad especially.
chazzguitar (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 07:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am keeping your father in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully he can join us in a couple weeks when I come up to MKE, at least for part of the day; it is always fun catching up with your dad, and I always enjoy his stories.
chazzguitar (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 07:21 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Im very glad to hear he's doing well.
chazzguitar (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 08:34 AM

Thanks everybody. I'll pass your well wishes on and I'm sure he'll be very appreciative. I'll keep you posted!
Old 03-21-2017, 12:23 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Old 03-21-2017, 12:38 PM

At the hospital now, just moved from the ICU to a regular room in the cardiac ward. That's a really good thing, so soon after such a traumatic experience. He says hi to everybody and hopes to see you all soon

Thanks again, everybody!
Charlie
The following 2 users liked this post by chazzguitar:
sam_spider (03-22-2017), TsukubaCody (03-21-2017)

Quick Reply: I don't want to work XXV - Traveling sausages edition