The Windy City - Off Topic A place to relax and unwind. Off topic section of the UMW.

UMW Formula 1 Discussion Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 05:47 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by JHo
Originally Posted by Ferrari812' timestamp='1349884676' post='22072371
[quote name='chazzguitar' timestamp='1349876972' post='22071984']
worrrrrrd?

http://uk.eurosport....-074805792.html

Honda shows interest in F1 return
Meh.... Just one guys personal opinion who happens to work for Honda.

Kinda the same sentiment when the left. We'd love to but can't afford it........

I'd rather see them attack LeMans, and develop some more road going relevant technology for sports cars and trickling down to normal cars.
[/quote]

Yeah, I don't see it happening. Honestly, I don't really care if they do come back, their less than stellar performance over the last years is reason enough for them to leave it alone. I think "afford" is the wrong word choice, I think it's more that they can't "justify" the cost and unless something drastic changes, a return for Honda in F1 is not going to get enthusiasts to run out and buy Accords and Crosstours.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:21 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, with the turbo-6 motors coming down the pipeline and the supposed introduction of a new civic type r in all markets (including the good ol' u-s-of-a) with a factory turbo-4, there may be some relevancy there?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Site Moderator

Relevancy, sure, but Honda used to have cars that you could tie directly in with a racing history and pedigree (NSX & S2000) and now it seems they're simply interested in econoboxes or appliances. I don't mean to sound harsh, but you've got the likes of Mercedes, McLaren & Ferrari all of which have cars many people dream of owning, even Lotus has that, but Honda, really? Until they release the new NSX the only benefit they could add to F1 would be as an engine supplier only.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:30 AM

Sure, makes sense... kinda like a Renault approach? Though, that Alpina concept looks fu*king wicked...
Old 10-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Site Moderator

Yeah, basically, Renault is a good example, same for Cosworth. Unless Honda has a sports car in the lineup I'd agree with them (Honda) that they can't afford or justify a return to F1 other than as an engine supplier. I'd be fine with that.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:04 AM

uhhhmmmmmmmmm

http://www.startribune.com/sports/mo...1.html?refer=y
Old 10-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Site Moderator

Old 10-12-2012, 11:36 AM
JHo

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I hope this brings about a couple things.

First, if they air it on NBC Sports, hopefully NBC can get that station on every basic cable package and complete with ESPN.

Two, they need to keep the current broadcast team. They are amazing with the crap resources FOX gives them.

Three, give those guys passports a bunch of stamps. They should be live at the venue to do actual interviews. Not call if from a booth half way around the world (which they are awesome at even though...)

I'm kind of excited that maybe, just maybe F1 won't play second fiddle to soccer on a dedicated racing station any more (sorry Sam, that was damning of Speed to cut away from F1 for soccer). The Indycar coverage is real good, so hopefully they can bring something to the table.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:25 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

This is only good news if nbcsn is moved to basic cable packages. Otherwise, ratings will shrink considerably. Indy car viewership on cable is nearly non existent, because of being buried on nbcsn. Frankly, I blame the Indycar/nbcsn partnership for the overall shrinking of indycar popularity.

The other bad news buried in that article is the dismantling of speed network. Admittedly, I'm tired of some of the crap on there, but where else will we find decent racing like CTSCC, etc
Old 10-15-2012, 04:22 AM

I liked how the guys addressed it during the broadcast on Sunday... Hobbes said something like 'I've been through three networks already, no reason to worry about it.' I hope that's a nod to the fact that they'll be making the move as a group.

What'd you think of the run on Sunday morning? Team orders allowing Vettel to pass Webber like that into the first corner? Massa being told not to pass Alonso (obvi)? Most entertaining part of the run for me was when Hamilton got that astro-turf stuck in his turning vane (think that's what they called it)... I can't imagine what his reaction to that radio message would have been.

All in all, aside from the Kobyashi/Button/Rosberg shunt, a pretty clean weekend. Good to see these guys getting back into form.

Quick Reply: UMW Formula 1 Discussion Thread