The Windy City - Off Topic A place to relax and unwind. Off topic section of the UMW.

Visitor's Guide to the Windy City

Old 05-29-2011, 09:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vuey
hey guys

Ive booked the Marriott Downtown/North River in Chicago, is this a good spot to be in ?

Is it close to the main city center ?

any feedback would be great !
I don't know how I missed this, so I'm sorry for the delayed response.

For being in the heart of entertainment and shopping downtown, you're in about as good of place as any. You're right on the stretch of Michigan Avenue known as the Magnificent Mile, and State street is also close by. There are plenty of great restaurants and bars all within walking distance, too.

Originally Posted by Kobe

good suggestions..

visiting from June 5th to June 17th.. though only a few hours off work to see things..
Thanks! Hopefully you'll get a chance to at least walk around at eat at a few of our great restaurants and maybe take in some live music.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm going to be placing chicago in the B slot of my adventure with everyplace inbetween A and A.. being optional.. the last time i was in chicago would be in the 80's... i guess it would be safe to say it could have changed... like they actually repaired a trench hole.. i can hardly wait...

was suggested at gun point to post up here...kind of a heads up..

has anyone ever heard of a place called Fritz That's It.. or R J Grunts..
Old 03-27-2012, 02:14 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Bringing this thread back from the dead as I'll be in Chicago over the weekend of April 13th for a short vacation. Any recommendations on where to stay or what to do while I'm in town?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:31 PM

It's a little further from a lot of the more major Chicago nightlife, but the Chicago Metro Crowne Plaza (in Greektown, on Halsted St.) treated me very well when I had to organize a 220+ people convention there, and I know Sam (sam_spider) stayed there before for a meet we had back in January.

I'd offer to grab a drink with you, but I'll be down at the dragon!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by K1ngfunK
It's a little further from a lot of the more major Chicago nightlife, but the Chicago Metro Crowne Plaza (in Greektown, on Halsted St.) treated me very well when I had to organize a 220+ people convention there, and I know Sam (sam_spider) stayed there before for a meet we had back in January.

I'd offer to grab a drink with you, but I'll be down at the dragon!
It's worth it though, it's a nice hotel and at least half what the others are. I've stayed at a lot of hotels downtown, I'd definitely stay there again.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and i just arrived yesterday. We are staying right across the street from grant park.
After only being here for several hours this has already started to become one of my favorite destinations.
Toronto is similar in many ways, but Chicago is so much cleaner and friendlier.

Plans:
Shedd Aquarium
Michigan Ave Stroll
Cubs Vs Mets (should I book in advance or is it okay to just purchase from the box office on the day of?)

Need to have pho while I'm here as well since I make it a point to have it in every city I visit. Any suggestions?
And how far is it from the grant park are?
Old 07-30-2012, 06:07 AM

Received 1,142 Likes on 1,063 Posts

My friend is taking his nephews to Chicago (ages 8 & 9). Any suggestions for kid-friendly activities? They are already planning to go to Shedd and possibly the Children's Museum.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:20 AM

The Lincoln Park zoo is pretty awesome, and they may enjoy going up in the Sears tower.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:25 AM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea Sears tower could be fun and while your in the area you can check out the beach.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shareall
My friend is taking his nephews to Chicago (ages 8 & 9). Any suggestions for kid-friendly activities? They are already planning to go to Shedd and possibly the Children's Museum.
Museum of Science and Industry. Awesome place for kids their age.

Quick Reply: Visitor's Guide to the Windy City