2013 Speed Ventures S2K Challenge Series #1
Write-up by Dipstick
The inaugural Megan Racing S2K Challenge was held last Saturday, January 26, 2013 at Buttonwillow Raceway Park’s 13CW. The big news for 2013 is a new suite of sponsors donating multiple prizes including cash, carbon splitters, rollbars, and fluid swaps, and other products and services.
Title Sponsor: Megan Racing – $5,000
Gold Sponsor: Wasp Composites – $2,000
Gold Sponsor: Rockstar Garage – $2,000
Silver Sponsor: Rising Star Motor – $500
Thanks to our sponsors for supporting the Challenge!
With rain in the forecast, competitors were hoping for the best… but morning fog and a light drizzle enveloped the track amidst a dense field of Buttonwillow’s signature clay/mud. Every run group experienced multiple offs with several sessions cut short as the Speedventures crew valiantly wrestled cars out of the sludge. Some deposits of mud dragged onto the course wouldn’t wash away, including a generous swath through the apex of the left hander in Cotton Corners.
Despite the harsh conditions, a strong field of new and veteran drivers entered this first event including nine in STREET, seven in MODIFIED, and seven in the revamped SUPER MODIFIED class.
As the drizzle subsided and the track dried out, Session 4 emerged as the defacto Do-or-Die session. Random offs would also cut a few sessions short so the SV crew gridded up the S2Ks for a final run at the lead of Blue 4. Here are the results:
STREET CLASS———-TIME – SESSION – PRIZE
- Jeff Ringer————2:02.896 Blue 4 – $60 Megan Voucher
- Joseph Jafry———2:05.532 Green 4 – $40 Megan Voucher
- Gary Yeung———–2:06.973 Green 4 – $20 Megan Voucher
- Mike Kang————-2:07.797 Blue 4
- Anthony Schifano–2:09.681 Red 4
- Marc Gabay———–2:13.007 Black 4
Masa Tanaka———2:15.758 Black 4
Lorenzo Tan———-2:27.566 Black 4
Julius Tan————-2:27.665 White 4
MODIFIED CLASS——–TIME – SESSION – PRIZE
- Michael Tsay———2:01.823 Blue 4 – $60 Megan Voucher and WASP Composites Splitter
- Brian Bengali———2:02.073 Blue 4 – $40 Megan Voucher
- Dustin Dessero——2:03.859 Blue 4 – $20 Megan Voucher
- Si Tang—————–2:04.191 Blue 4
- Douglas Chan——–2:06.313 Green 4
- Andrew McKelvey–2:10.904 Red 4
- Man Chun Chan—–2:17.983 Green 4
SUPER MODIFIED———-TIME – SESSION – PRIZE
- Chris Elders————-2:00.376 Blue 4 – $60 Megan Voucher
- Ricky Kwan————-2:03.192 Red 4 – $40 Megan Voucher
- Dylan Huig—————2:05.729 Green 4 – $20 Megan Voucher
- Martin Riente———–2:06.700 Red 4
- Albert Gavieres———2:07.735 Red 4
- David Lara—————-2:13.576 Blue 4
- Justin Taylor————2:15.994 Red 3
Congratulations to all the podium finishers!
Unfortunately, STOCK class’s lone participant was Ryan Delgrosso but he suffered a mechanical and had to withdraw. Those prizes will go back into the pool.
Special thanks to our Title sponsor for this event, Megan Racing, who donated all the podium vouchers for this event: http://www.meganracing.com/index.asp
Also, a special thank you to Wasp Composites who donated a $500 Carbon Composite splitter package for MODIFIED class P1 prize! http://www.facebook.com/waspcomposites
We’ll have more prizes from our other featured sponsors to be announced as the next event approaches:
Rockstar Garage: http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/user/108197-rockstar-garage
Rising Star Motor: http://www.risingstarmotor.com/
Please let our Sponsors know how you feel about their support of our series!
Come join us for the Megan Racing S2K Challenge #2 at the Streets of Willow Springs on Sunday, February 10, 2013.
Classing Rules discussion:
Classing questions? Please PM desert tortoise, psychoazn, ddess, JJ1, or dipstick.
Keep the shiny side up!