S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY Steering Wheel Removal/Aftermarket install

Old 01-26-2005, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Steering Wheel Removal/Aftermarket install

Note from the Moderator:

To those asking about the pics:

Originally Posted by Rusler Firbrand,May 26 2008, 11:07 PM
sorry everyone for the pictures not working. we-todd-did-racing is down. i dont know if it will ever be back.

I tried back then asking if anyone would host it for me, but got no takers.

This is for the pm's ive been getting. I know pics would greatly help. if i do ever find the pics, i will bump this thread once again.

**DISCLAIMER** If you decided to start, you are doing so at your own risk! So don't get pissed at me if you screw up! i will not be held responsible for mistakes made. i will not be held liable for any mishaps. please diy with caution.

i decided to make this write up since ive started to see many people have been swaping out thier oemsteering wheel. By removing your steering wheel you are creating your own risk in the case of an accident of no srs airbag.

with this post i just want to try to help out the community, my gf telling me not to do this, but i thought the extra help would be needed.

make sure your car is leveled, and the wheels should be straighten. this is crucial.
also, make sure you have your security code for your radio. you will be unplugging your battery.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome

so you want to install an aftermarket steering wheel/ Quick release. And youve made up your mind and what to do it!!!

here are my products that ive purchased. ive purchased them through a local store. pm me if u have questions concerning the product.

OMP trecento
300mm (11.81 in black suede/titanium spokes $209.95 purchased from OMPUSA.

all the products out of the box.

splash hub, ground ring plates x2, splash lock, splash quick release, 6 bolts to hold other end of qr, 6 bolts to hold steeringwheel, torex allen key, splash lock key

2. wire to ground ring plates
3. srs resistor

Splash quick release and lock

splash qr
Old 01-26-2005, 06:57 PM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tools needed.
*make sure you use 6point sockets, id be afraid to use 12 pts from the possibility of stripping the bolts.

-10mm to remove the battery terminal.
-19mm to remove the main bolt holding the steering wheel.
-torex socket
-extension if you do not have a deep 19mm
a socket wrench would help too.

if your product did not come with an allen key torex, i had an extra torex key laying around. you can purchase them from a local sears. i forget how much, but the price was reasonable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 01-26-2005, 06:57 PM

heres where the procedure begins.

Disconnecting the Battery

you would start of by removing the ground or positive or both terminal of your battery. i removed the ground terminal. This would prevent the airbag from deploying. i gave myself about 3-5min before i started to remove the srs airbag. i did this to make sure that everything was powered down. ive also read in other threads like this one to wait 3min. http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=814006

i would reccommend while disconnecting your batter to start on the next procedure while you wait. this way you wont be hitting yourself and doing every procedure in your car. it would help alot to do this procedure in a comfortable place. you'll know what im talking about when you finish this procedure.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:58 PM

Top part of the Quick Release

here is a diagram, not the exact diagram. but its is similar.

this is the top part of the quick release, plug the black wire to ground. the red wire will be pluged into the horn button.

make sure the ground plate sits on top.

this is the ground plate from the steering wheel. place this on top of the quick release ground plate.

this is how it needs to sit on the quick release.

center the holes to the steering wheel. you dont use all 12, you only use 6 holes

carefully place it ontop of the ground plates, the plates tend to move.

line all the holes together.

use the allen key to tighten down the bolts to a desired torque. you wouldnt want the bolts to loosen when your driving. ive also learned. that if your going to change your steering wheels frequently, get new bolts. ive seen (momo) sell there bolts for around 6-9 dollars. you can use the allen key either way. i find it easier to use it latitude rather than longtitude

once youve tighten down all the bolts. plug the red wire into the horn button. on the horn button there are two pins. one is normally open, the other is normally closed. you want the normally open. so once youve pluged the female plug into the male pin dont snap the horn button just yet. ive done this and turned on the car to find that it was on normally close, and my horn just screamed once i poped the quick release on.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:58 PM

Detaching the SRS airbag

i did not take any before pictures of removing the plastic inserts. there are two plastic inserts on each side. you can use a screw driver, but be gentle. ive managed to use my bare fingers and fiddle them out.

picture shown is the left side. the yellow plug you see is the srs plug from the airbag unit to the srs reel.

*notice that torex screw that you got to take out*

this is the right side of the steering wheel. again another torex screw you must take out inorder to slide the srs airbag out.

remember the torex socket i was telling you about. well this is what its used for. other wise use the torex allen key supplied with your product. and no that red button is not for nazz. its actually one of thos diy loud horn mods.

once you take the last torex screw out, you'll notice that the whole airbag unit will seem to fall out. be cautious when taking it out. there is a plug holding the unit. make sure you take the male/female plug out of the little pocket that it is being held by. it makes the job easier. make sure you slide it out gently instead of yanking it out. you dont want the airbag to deploy. unplug the yellow plug that attachs to the unit.

the plug slides

Removing the plugs

this plug removes the cruise control unit. if i find the time i might just see if i can fab up somthing to make use of the cruise control while using a quick release.

this is the ground for the horn. from my examination when you push the srs airbag there is some sort of metal on metal contact. this plug is for the ground. push the middle clip and slide the female plug off.

the hole shown as a male tab holds the plug in. this is why you need to press and slide.

Removing the Steering wheel

use your 19mm socket to remove the bolt. make sure you use the *snap* technique. you dont want to strip that bolt or its on there for good. i know some people may want the option of using a steering wheel remover. this is the time to use it. although, i find it unnecessary to use it. once youve snaped the bolt. leave the bolt on there. you need it for the next step.

i found a post from honda-tech member.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Relic1,january 12, 2005
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i found that this step needed a little muscling. make sure youve lossen the bolt a bit. do not take it off yet. firmly pull the steering wheel off. it takes a bit of muscle. this is why i kept the bolt there. if i didnt have the bolt stuck on there still the wheel would of smaked me in the face.

once you removed the steering wheel you'll see the srs reel. no need to remove this. you'll need those plugs.

Attaching and Centering the hub
makes sure you havent moved your steering wheel since the teeth may be off. the splash hub has a indented dot underneath the top hole. use this as a guide to center it.

Plug the Srs resistor, option Test drive
this is the female srs connector. use your resistor given. the pins on the srs connector should be connected to the female part of the resistor.

during this process, before you attach the quick release. tighten down the 19mm bolt. i did not know that exact tq spec. i tighten it enough. hopefully somone will chime in as to how much to tq the bolt. it would be wise to see if ur hub is dead center. you can bolt on your steering wheel, tighten it n drive to see if its centered. make sure all the bolts are tighten on. adjust if necessary. take off the steering wheel and proceed to the next step.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:59 PM

Attaching horn
use the ground female plug from the srs reel, and attach it to the strip of wire that will connect to the ground of the hub. female-male

this picture shows the end of the ground wire. the end of the wire is the female part. make sure you stick the ground plates before doing this.

connect the end of the femal part to the male of the male part of the quick release. this part of the quick release will always remain on the hub when you take the top portion of the quick release off. i just matched them red to red. it was easier. just as long as you dont get your ground confused.

this is the ground plate that needs to be sandwich between the hub and quick release. plug the ground onto the plate. there should be a little tab in which the female plug needs to be attached too.

screw necessary bolts. i think it would be wise to use some sort of torque seal. torque seal is what you see on most of the bolts that are untouched. it does not allow the bolts to move freely. however i did not worry about puting torque seal, since most of the parts do not vibrate heavily.

Connecting the Battery

use your 10mm socket to reconnect the positive/negative terminals onto the battery.

dispose of your oem steering wheel. do not place or leave your airbag in an area above or below room temperature. keep it in a safe place.

if your quick release came with a lock then this is the diagram also.

i have tried the splash quick release on the nrg ( my brother use to own the nrg) and it did not fit. however, i tried the lock on the L2 quick release (my friend jeff Japjunkie n it did fit. he can vouch to see if it fit.

this is how the lock would look like. but hes got the regular style hub.

Feel Free to ask me any questions. the job should not take that long. i think it took longer because i had to take pictures. woah, this write up took me a while. GOOD LUCK with the install.

--------------------------The End--------------------------------------
Old 01-26-2005, 06:59 PM

here are a couple of threads i found interesting some helpful, some just informative about a certain product.
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=951326&page=2

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/sh...ue#Post67790134

i wanna thank this guy for doing a little write up.
http://www.flatfours.com/rapfix/

--------------------------Rapfix Worksbell-------------------------------------------------
PM [S2X] On this. Ap1 Rock use to own it. i think you can purchase it from aj-racing.

[QUOTE=dr_jdm]i still like my nrg...damnit
Old 01-26-2005, 07:35 PM

Good write up
Old 01-26-2005, 07:37 PM

heres more pictures of a different steering wheel, thanks to jdm[dc2] from honda-tech

momo top power 280mm

Old 01-26-2005, 07:54 PM

Thanks! I'll have to do this sometime. What was the total cost of the this mod? MOMO

Quick Reply: DIY Steering Wheel Removal/Aftermarket install