S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

eTune Review Done By Gernby

Old 01-17-2013, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eTune Review Done By Gernby

I have a 2006 AP2 with Flashpro. My mods are K&N FIPK and Test pipe. I was interested in tuning my car and did not want to spend hours on the dyno as I don't have enough mods yet. Greg aka “Gernby” offered to do an eTune for me. I had never done an eTune previously and was very skeptical but I figured its worth a shot. I had many questions and went back and forth with Greg. He answered all to a point where I was satisfied. Then we got started.

He sent me roughly 7 calibrations that I had a datalog from different rpms at WOT. I sent them all back to him and he got back to me with a new set but this time only 6. I dataloged those calibrations and sent them back. I got back to me a 3rd time with 3 calibrations. I had to wait about 2 months this time around before I got back to him. Due to work schedule and weather conditions I had no choice. Finally one morning I made it a point to get it done and was able to get a final set done. The next day he sent me an actual calibration that I could drive with. My Vtec was lowered quiet a bit and the car just felt great. Throttle response was awesome and I actually started to enjoy driving the car. In stock condition the car just does not feel like however with the new calibration and the mods to go with it I was very happy and am very happy driving the car.

He did ask me to send back multiple datalogs to make sure all was working well. I did provide him the needed datalogs and was told that we are done as there are no more changes he can make.

Last weekend I took the car on a dyno to see how the car was doing. Sorry there really is no baseline to share with you guys. Attached is the dyno.

My idea was to take it to the dyno and have the tuner see what he can do to make any more power with the car. The calibration that Greg sent me is run the 5. His calibration made the most power all the through. My tuner gave it a shot to see what else he could do with the car. Every change that he made lost power on the dyno. I have to say that I am very impressed with my eTune. I will certainly be using Greg in the future for my eTunes. The tuner I used has been tuning Hondata cars for over 10 years so he is very well versed in the software and the car and how to tune it properly.

In the end I am glad I had Greg do the eTune for me. I did spend money with my dyno tuner but in the end it was not worth it as he was not able to do anything more than Greg. I am a satisfied customer and definitely will return. I almost wanted to do the dyno and make sure he was legit and giving me a good tune. I think money was well spent here for peace of mind.

This was a four step process for me but I feel like it was certainly worth it. Sometimes to get things right you have to datalog a multiple times. I myself have tuned K Series engines in the past with the KPRO and feel the more datalogs the better as you get much better information on what changes need to be made to the car. If anyone has any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had an e tune done by Gernby a couple weeks ago! He did the same process with me, sending datalogs/ calibrations back and forth. When i uploaded gernbys final tune for me car I was beyond happy with how it drove.

Its funny how you went to get it dynoe'd after the tune. I was actually going to do that aswell but now I know Gernby dont play games! This guy knows his stuff 110% When ita time to get re tuned he will definitely be my go to e-tuner!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for posting this review! It's great to have feedback, especially when it's positive ...

Regarding your dyno plots, isn't run 2 your baseline (stock tune), and run 3 is the Toda tune?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:24 AM

My other two runs are stock and toda however I did tune the air fuel on those prior to the dyno so it's not an accurate comparison from just stock to yours. Either way yours made the most power all the way through and I am very happy.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I see ...

If you have the dynojet run files, would you email them to me?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 AM

I just emailed the tuner but he only works weekends so I am not sure when I will get it.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:10 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

When I get around to getting another flashpro and test pipe I definitely plan to hit Gernby up. Good review!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:17 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I am another satisfied Gernby customer. He is great to work with, and no one can argue with the results that he achieves with his tunes. I would recommend him highly to anyone, I promise you won't be disappointed.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:33 AM

Gernby aka Greg also helped me eTune my 07 AP2 with a testpipe. I can attest he is very knowledgeable with this and more importantly, he is passionate. After running through the eTune process with Gernby, I can say my car's character has the best of both worlds. When driving under normal conditions, the car gets slightly better MPGs than stock, so my car can stay a daily driver. However, when stomping on the gas pedal aggressively, the vTec comes on early and there is significant extra pep in the step.

I have a few friends in the community with the same car, same year, and when we drive each other's car back to back, they also agree the performance enhancement is nothing short of awesome. My experience with Gernby's eTune is 5 stars all the way. I would highly recommend anyone interested to reach out to Gernby. He has been patient while educating me in the process and responsive to my needs.

Thanks Greg!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg does my eTunes as well. I actually got it last summer. Experience was really good and I can't say enough about him. Turn around time was very fast and it seems he's nailed down his process to a tee so I also highly recommend his service. The car performs noticeably better with it.

I track my car and where VTEC engages, tq is smooth on the track and there's obviously a wider RPM range to stay in VTEC. Unfortunately I haven't tracked it on the baseline tune so I have nothing to compare it to. Maybe I'll trade with a track buddy who has a stock tune and see how that feels in comparison. I haven't noticed fuel efficiency improve significantly but it definitely hasn't gotten any worse.

When I get my car out of storage, I'll be taking it to profunction for some pulls and see what the numbers are so I can add to this review. For reference, I have K&N intake fitted to stock air box (don't ask me why, I bought it with that mod), J's headers, Invidia 70mm tp, and J's 70RS single.

Thanks again, Greg!

Quick Reply: eTune Review Done By Gernby