S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Aftermarket Steering Wheel Advice?

Old 01-23-2013, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Steering Wheel Advice?

For those with personal steering wheels, on street use cars, are you guys worried at all? Lol, i was asking around, and from what ive heard, the seatbelt should lock back in an accident, preventing your face smashing into the steering wheel. Ive read some threads on this, but none have actually answered my question. Will the seatbelt keep you in the seat? Keep in mind, ive never been in an accident, so dont mind my ignorance lol.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:58 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Not sure about other hubs, but the MOMO hub adapter for our car is designed to crumple or bend in the event of a crash...not sure if that helps you.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:44 PM

Yeah, Deff helps me out a bit. Ill look into that
Old 01-24-2013, 01:59 AM

Bump, anyone else?
Idk if this is in the wrong section, if so, can it please be moved.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont really know how well the seat belt will keep you in your seat, but in terms of aftermarket wheels, I race circle track cars and only use aluminum steering wheels because in the event that i crash, the wheel gives and bends taking some of the force from the impact, but mind you thats with a full 5 point harness and a racing seat.

So IMO try and find a aluminum wheel and think about getting a steering wheel pad for the center of it. they sell them in a very squishy form or a high density type.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:04 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

So really you are asking if cars come with an airbag for a reason or just becuase its cool?
Old 01-24-2013, 05:14 AM

Nah, I know their there for a reason, pretty much asking, if i go with an aftetmarket wheel, will I loose my face in an accident.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lil Dre
Nah, I know their there for a reason, pretty much asking, if i go with an aftetmarket wheel, will I loose my face in an accident.
probably, think about it. you only have one cross strap. no matter how bolstered the seat is you will rotate out of the belt. the only way you can insure you staying in the seat is with two cross straps (going with a 5-point harness) but then you have to think about you neck. sure the belts hold you in but what holds your head? In racing we use a HANS device to keep our neck from over extending on impact.

so in laymens terms yes your going to smash your face and hurt your neck in an accident if you hit hard enough.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cars came for years without an airbag, so you won't be any worse off driving the S without one than you would be an older car.

That being said, you cannot say that in an accident you will or will not be okay with or without an airbag. Accidents have to be taken on a case by case basis. There are too many variables. Will you be less safe? Yes. Did people survive accidents before the advent of airbags? Yes. There are just too many factors.

Seat belts are designed to hold you in position under rapid deceleration, but as mentioned by andersonracing - that doesn't do anything for your neck.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:37 PM

If you put an aftermaket wheel in your S,the airbag light will be on. I can't remeber forsure or not but if the light is present the SRS system is disabled (I think). If so, your seat belt tensioner may not work properly. I have an NRG hub that came with a harness that tricks the SRS system in thinking the airbag is still present. No light, and the rest of SRS system is still operational besides driver's airbag or course.

Hope that helps!
Mike

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Steering Wheel Advice?