S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

As clean as I am going to get it... (i think)

Old 02-11-2013, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default As clean as I am going to get it... (i think)

This coming friday, I am about to own my first S2000. I personally cannot wait. Here in Canada, they are definitely a premium compared to prices in the states. So here she is...

2004 NFR S2000
- US import 1.5 years ago from California - CLEAN US carfax/carproof BUT had a recent damage to the front passenger fender when parked at a local store (Claim cost: $2,178.77)
- 69,000 km / ~43000 miles - imported at ~30K Km and was used as a DD for another 30K.
- Comes with OEM Hard top
- Comes with Both Winter (on aftermarket wheels) and Summer (on OEM wheels) tires

On Inspection from a honda tech:
- Car fully checks out with no issues on electrical/mechanical
- VTEC kicks in smoothly (Damn is it fun/scary to bring up the car to red line on 2nd gear on a busy street at that time - I have yet to drive a faster car)
- slightly bent jack points (wrong use of jack points)
- Body shows wear on the hood/bumper (part of normal/DD use). However, there are 2 small nicks on the rear bumper (either he backed into someone or someone backed into him).
- ALL Vin stickers on all body panels still
- a $2000 claim for a dent on the front passenger fender (as noted above)

What needs to be fixed/repaired as soon as my hands get on it:

IMMEDIATELY FIX:
- clutch master cylinder leaking which has to be repaired
- a small tear on the hard top seal
- hardtop strikers (comes with the sale) (rattling noted by honda tech)
- Obtain seat locks, and hard top locks.

LATER (maybe after summer):
- AP2 OEM Body Kit w/ factory lip spoiler.
- 2 small nicks on the rear bumper (still thinking about it - what do you guys think?).

My goals for the car:
- Hard top on 3/4ths of the year so the soft top doesn't get used/stretched/torn
- as close to 100% stock as possible until 2-3 years from now.
- Garage kept
- Driven only on summer days (either sunrise or sunset) with the top down (I can't wait for this feeling. I dont know what it feels like but I can tell its going to be awesome because just before sunset, I love lowering down my windows and opening my sunroof to have the warm air flow through the interior)

My DD is a 2012 Hyundai Elantra - this will get me to and from work so i can pay off for the S2000 and the DD. LOL

Photos:
It's the only photo that I've got so far - taken on an iphone.

MY QUESTIONS TO YOU:
- Would you guys recommend fixing the bumper damage? (I'll post a photo later) At the same time, I might even consider respraying the entire car while fixing the small nicks in the paint (Don't know yet).
Old 02-11-2013, 06:02 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like a great deal! Congratulations!

I'd suggest driving the car a few weeks before you decide whether to repaint the bumper--- then you'll be past the "new" stage (although some of that never ends!!). and can decide whether to just fix the bumper or respray the entire car.

Again-- congratulations!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:04 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Marloon - I'm likin' what I see. Re the paint chips. How's the paint overall? You can try touching up the chips with Dr Paint Chip if they are not too numerous or large. Maybe just a good detailing with an orbital buffer might work.

Otherwise, it looks like you have yourself a good car. Enjoy it to the max !!!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by jetboater
Sounds like a great deal! Congratulations!

I'd suggest driving the car a few weeks before you decide whether to repaint the bumper--- then you'll be past the "new" stage (although some of that never ends!!). and can decide whether to just fix the bumper or respray the entire car.

Again-- congratulations!
That's exactly what I want to do... I'm in love with the idea of this car! To me, it represents my selfish intentions to please my own wants/desires. Before I bought my elantra, i've always wanted a sports coupe. Unfortunately, I forced myself to buy a sedan because I was thinking of my ex-gf and family at that time. But after some time of owning the elantra, I realized that my passenger seat, and rear seats don't actually get used all that much. At that time, it was a debate between the Fr-s and the Elantra, and then when I owned the Elantra, I was thinking of adding the FR-S on as a garage queen/weekend warrior but I realized that these two cars share some similarities such as being a closed car, and having room for extra passengers. I then realized that the S2000 might fit the bill better because 1) it has more power 2) it has a more timeless design 3) higher quality in materials 4) is a convertible. I CANNOT wait to drive it downtown to just show it off during spring, summer and fall and then baby it during the winter time!

Originally Posted by Soof
Marloon - I'm likin' what I see. Re the paint chips. How's the paint overall? You can try touching up the chips with Dr Paint Chip if they are not too numerous or large. Maybe just a good detailing with an orbital buffer might work.

Otherwise, it looks like you have yourself a good car. Enjoy it to the max !!!
The paint overall is pretty good. It didnt have a wash and it looked to be in a better condition compared to my DD as it was garage kept and the guy did take good care of it. There are small nicks in the front bumper when the guy drove it on the highway.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:55 PM

The paint chips on the front bumper are gonna happen--- stop by the dealership and pick up a bottle of the OEM touchup paint --- then clean the area where the chips are with rubbing alcohol and touch them up---will make a big difference.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:04 PM

The paint chips on the front bumper are gonna happen--- stop by the dealership and pick up a bottle of the OEM touchup paint --- then clean the area where the chips are with rubbing alcohol and touch them up---will make a big difference.
thanks for the tip. I'll do a full detail on the car once i get it to see if i am satisfied with the paint condition. i'll definitely take pictures.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:20 PM

One of the best tips I read when I first got mine was about the front bumper. Even without a front lip, it's low enough to hit any parking "block" or curb when you pull straight into a space. The tip was that, to avoid pulling into a parking space too far, to line up the door of the S2k with the BACK door of the car next to it. Seems odd but once you do that and get out of the car, you'll find you're parked perfectly. I've done this pretty much every time and only hit the bumper a few times in 7 years.

If you haven't yet, be sure to read the info in the stickys at the top of this forum (the "read this first...." one especially)--lots of good info for new owners
Old 02-11-2013, 07:34 PM

One of the best tips I read when I first got mine was about the front bumper. Even without a front lip, it's low enough to hit any parking "block" or curb when you pull straight into a space. The tip was that, to avoid pulling into a parking space too far, to line up the door of the S2k with the BACK door of the car next to it. Seems odd but once you do that and get out of the car, you'll find you're parked perfectly. I've done this pretty much every time and only hit the bumper a few times in 7 years.

If you haven't yet, be sure to read the info in the stickys at the top of this forum (the "read this first...." one especially)--lots of good info for new owners
THANKS FOR THE TIP! This is a great one! One of my favorite features about the car is the LONG hood and the hammerhead look of the front end. LOVE IT and I can't get enough of the S! I can't wait to drive it around town!

Bring more tips you guys!
Old 02-12-2013, 04:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marloon
Would you guys recommend fixing the bumper damage?
I'd suggest waiting to see what sort of rock chip collection you get.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats...looks like you got just about everything lined up and have done your homework, a huge plus. As others stated, drive it around for a few weeks and take your time deciding what to do. I will tell you, as others have, the car sits so low that it is inevitable that you will get alot of chips on the front bumper. I have the touch up paint from Honda and use it to touch things up when necessary but it seems like every 4-5 years a good repaint of the front bumper will be a good investment.

Fix the items you mentioned and keep the aesthetic portions on hold until you get a better feeling for car.

Once again, congrats!!!

Quick Reply: As clean as I am going to get it... (i think)