S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Yet Another E-Tune Review for Gernby

Old 02-12-2013, 11:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yet Another E-Tune Review for Gernby

I'm not usually one for reviews, but it would be a crime to the community for not writing one up after the service I have received from Greg. Before I sent payment, he first informed me that his process is a bit different from most conventional tuners and that if the process didn't sound appealing, he would issue a full refund. During the whole process, he promptly responded to any questions I had and I never once felt like he was rushing to get my tune over with. On the contrary, I felt as though the car he was tuning was his own; he never hesitated to perform more iterations or provide more input. I truly feel that getting tuned by Greg is a great value-- the result is a smooth, optimized, and custom tune at a very, very competitive price. I highly recommend Greg to those that are on the fence about getting an e-tune or picking a tuner. However, his actual tuning process can get a bit tedious and nerve racking at times-- because of the specific process, there is a risk of getting pulled over- especially if you live in an area like I do (LA-- anal retentive popo).

Here is a dyno created by Gernby's own E-Dyno. I chose to do 1 stock run and 2 tuned runs so that I could overlay them on the same dyno sheet.

Mods: Hytech 3" Test Pipe + HKS 75mm Single

Red: 'Stock Tuned' Hondata map
Green: Tuned (Run 1)
Blue: Tuned (Run 2)
(Ignore the Black Line)

Old 02-13-2013, 04:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the feedback! You defnitely gained a lot in the midrange, but I sure hate looking at those outdated graphs fom that Excel Soft Dyno.

Here is what they look like on my current software. (which runs real-time, wirelessly while live tuning on my Surface Pro!)

Old 02-13-2013, 04:24 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Great results!

approximately how many WOT runs did you have to do? and what gear do they need to be done in? I can safely do 3rd gear pulls all day long. 4th gear and it starts to get harder to make sure I don't get caught.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:24 AM
Former Sponsor

A person typically has to do 6-9 WOT pulls in 3rd gear up to 7K, and another 9-12 to 8K, but not in the same session.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:39 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

3rd I can do all day long without too many issues. 4th gear starts to get way into reckless driving territory on the streets.

I imagine all of the pulls really need to be done on the same road under the same conditions?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
3rd I can do all day long without too many issues. 4th gear starts to get way into reckless driving territory on the streets.

I imagine all of the pulls really need to be done on the same road under the same conditions?
Nope, that is not necessary
Old 02-20-2013, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In order to do these E tunes, is the only thing I need a flashpro? I have been considering getting an E tune once the weather breaks or possibly just driving out to Evans Tuning since it is not that far from me.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RevvHappy
In order to do these E tunes, is the only thing I need a flashpro? I have been considering getting an E tune once the weather breaks or possibly just driving out to Evans Tuning since it is not that far from me.

You just need an '06+ S2000 and a FlashPro.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of your gains come from fixing the over-lean stock Hondata tune between 3.5-6k. This was causing some appreciable knock in that range, and hurt your power.

Looks like even the E-tune would do well with a little more fuel below 3.5k to fix the knock that is still occurring there.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by urBan_dK
Most of your gains come from fixing the over-lean stock Hondata tune between 3.5-6k. This was causing some appreciable knock in that range, and hurt your power.

Looks like even the E-tune would do well with a little more fuel below 3.5k to fix the knock that is still occurring there.

The Hondata tune was clearly running lean, but that is a normal knock level. He's definitely not losing power due to knock, and his AFR's are fine with the new tune.

Quick Reply: Yet Another E-Tune Review for Gernby