S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

map sensor harness

Old 04-15-2013, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default map sensor harness

The harness which plugs into the map sensor is broken and the outer 2 wires came loose. So I pushed out the pins and set the wires back in but the car runs very rough. I believe its running rich, and if I let off the gas pedal the car will stall out and die. Do I need to replace the harness? And if I do, will any honda map sensor harness work? Or only an s2000 harness? I called honda but they only sell the complete wiring harness.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What year? Harnesses changed over the years. The engine bay uses multiple harnesses, but you don't want to have to swap them.

Stalling at idle is a tell tale sign of map sensor problem, but potentially dirty idle air control valve (on the side of the throttle body).

The map reads from a tiny air channel that runs between the throttle body and the intake manifold. This channel can get dirty and block air passage. If you disconnect the throttle body you can access and clear the channel.

However, I suspect your problem is a still faulty connection between the wiring harness and map. Don't know what to tell ya except try to make a better connection between the two first.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is on a 2001 s2000, completely stock. I picked up another harness from a junkyard, I brought my map sensor with me to make sure it fits. I wired it up fine, but it was still running rough. If I start the car now it idles rough, but once I tap the gas pedal, the rpms will drop and stall out once I let off the pedal. After that I got a cel for a vacuum leak, after looking at my oem intake I noticed it is cracked in the area where the hose clamp meets the throttle body. I bought a used intake but its from an 07 model year, I was able to make it fit. I read that the part number is differet in 07 and up. I drilled a hole for one of the lines and connected it. Not sure what it is for, but it is the one that connects to the metal fitting. I'm not getting any check engine lights now, but the car still runs rough including stalling out if I touch the accel pedal.. it also seems to be running rich. I also tried pulling the back up fuse under the dashboard to reset the ecu. But I'm still having the same problem. I did not have any of these problems until one of the wires seperated from the map sensor harness. I also read someone else had a very similar problem until they cleaned the map sensor and o ring and their problem went away. I wish I had the same luck but unfortunately I don't lol. Any further help is greatlyyy appreciated because I miss driving my car at this point lol
Old 04-25-2013, 11:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure the wires are in the plug. I had to replace the plugs on the injectors, because mine was running rough. Turned out the wires weren't making good or any contact with the injector.