S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Anybody make a proper baffled oil pan? IN PRODUCTION!

Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Anybody make a proper baffled oil pan? IN PRODUCTION!

Production Update. Production and shipping starts next week

Last chance to order oil coolers and/or Accusumps for a big discount for those who preordered the pan!

----preorders closing Wednesday, 1/22/14-----
Also, Canton has extended the good deal for the Accusump as well as oil coolers, check the post.

click here -> #374

So, I unfortunately totaled my S2k last Easter sunday....but, this gives me a chance for another build right? Looking at the bright side....

The oil pan I have now has an anti-slosh plate, but that's not really a proper baffled oil pan. I'm sure all you experienced racer's know that a proper baffled pan has baffles and other oil flow control pieces built around the pickup itself. While an anti-slosh plate is helpful, it's not really anywhere near what is needed in oil control.

Looking around at the stuff on the market, I can't seem to find one for the S2k.

Canton Racing, a well-respected 40+ year old racing company, is considering making a proper pan if there is enough interest. Canton Racings line of business is oil control and they've been doing it for decades. They are the inventors of the Accusump. They've made baffled pans for road racing and drag racing for years. Interestingly, a growing part of their business now is drifting. Makes sense, 'cause those guys have high sideway's sustained g's at high rpms.

They are considered to be among the best in the business, but don't rip you off on price like a lot of import tuning companies. As an example, their pan for K-series motors is only $390, with no core charge, which is amazing. There pans are usually steel, so far stronger than aluminum, and if they get messed up at the track, they can be repaired. They always have a couple extra bungs for oil temp sensors and turbo apps, and include a magnetic drain plug. (no, I don't work for them!) Like all well designed baffles, it uses one way oil channels and "trap doors".

https://www.cantonra...n&category=1507

And here's a picture of their prototype (now in production) of their K-series pan designed to use the S2k pump. The pic is the prototype so the production unit will have better looking welds of course...and the antislosh plate is removed so you can see the rest of it better.

In order for them to start building one and get it into production, they have to make sure there is enough interest. I'm asking you guys if you'll email them. Below I've written a sample email that you can copy paste and email to:

(email address removed to help comply with non-vendor solicitation and advertising rules)

Dear Sirs:

I am a Honda S2000 owner who has an interest in a well designed baffled oil pan. Unfortunately most of the others on the market for my car only have anti slosh plates and not proper oil control design. It would be great if your company could build and sell a properly designed pan for my car. Thank you very much for your cooperation.

So, help me out guys and send an email to them.

DavidC
Attached Thumbnails Anybody make a proper baffled oil pan? IN PRODUCTION!-dsc06522.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 09:54 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

pretty sure TrackForge a vendor here has a core return oil baffle program.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently using the Toda baffled oil pan, works great, design of the plate I think is a bit better than others regarding coverage inside and it has an extra bung already welded in if you want to put a separate oil temp gauge in.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
pretty sure TrackForge a vendor here has a core return oil baffle program.
All I see on their website is a $25 add on antislosh plate.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Biohazard
I am currently using the Toda baffled oil pan, works great, design of the plate I think is a bit better than others regarding coverage inside and it has an extra bung already welded in if you want to put a separate oil temp gauge in.
Not to step on your stuff, but all it's got is an anti slosh plate like all the others. And, it's about $200 more than what Canton's will be.

http://www.toda-racing.co.jp/en/prod...0c-oilpan.html
Old 04-23-2013, 10:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the blacktrax baffled oil pan.
http://www.blacktraxstore.com/New-Pr...-Pan_p_39.html

Not sure why you would need anything better than this. Unless you go to dry sump system which is very expensive. A lot of pro race car S2000's use this baffled pan with slicks and no problems. I mean maybe if your low on oil you may have a problem, but if you are going to track your car you should be changing/checking the oil before every event.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Xene
I use the blacktrax baffled oil pan.
http://www.blacktrax...l-Pan_p_39.html

Not sure why you would need anything better than this. Unless you go to dry sump system which is very expensive. A lot of pro race car S2000's use this baffled pan with slicks and no problems. I mean maybe if your low on oil you may have a problem, but if you are going to track your car you should be changing/checking the oil before every event.
Not to step on it either, but....

Same thing. All it is is an anti slosh plate. This type of plate is better than nothing, but does really nothing to keep the oil around the pickup in high g long turns.

BTW, I don't know of any professional race S2000's. Can you tell me who you are referring to? Of course there are lots of amateur racers out there, but the S2k never really caught on with pro racing.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:14 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Yes there is several oil pan manufacturer that could make a very good pan for the S if people would just let them know they want a pan.
Moroso also makes good pans, they have one for a 1.6L honda with 6 trap doors, 2 baffles and a removable sump tray.
http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=10911
I had one of their pans(8 qt.) and a oil/air separators on my dragster back when I raced in the 80's.
They will make a one off custom pan for the S, but if more people would call about a pan they would make more pans for a lower price.

ROD
Old 04-23-2013, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by rrounds
Yes there is several oil pan manufacturer that could make a very good pan for the S if people would just let them know they want a pan.
Moroso also makes good pans, they have one for a 1.6L honda with 6 trap doors, 2 baffles and a removable sump tray.
http://www.moroso.co...p?catcode=10911
I had one of their pans(8 qt.) and a oil/air separators on my dragster back when I raced in the 80's.
They will make a one off custom pan for the S, but if more people would call about a pan they would make more pans for a lower price.

ROD
Thanks for the reply Rod, but you reinforce the point I'm actually trying to make. Nobody makes a really good pan now. A good pan will have baffles and trap doors around the pump, but nobody makes one for the S2000 now. Sure, they are made for other Honda motors as my link shows, and sure someone would make a custom one...but Canton will make one for us, and it will cost less than almost all the others out there, IF we show some interest. Moroso makes good oiling products. In fact, they make an Accusump knock off as well. They make good pans for other Honda motors, but not the F series.

Thats why I'm asking people to just copy/pasted the email in my first post. The guy I know that works there says that's all it will take to show the head guys there that there is interest.

We have a lot of owners that show interest in baffled pans, as a lot of guys have bought some....the problem is that most don't really know what a good pan is. They think that just because it's got a name brand on it it must be good. Unfortunately that's not true. Canton Racing's specialty is oiling. They know it better than almost anyone.

Please people, take a look at the links for them and you'll see the quality product design. Then email them.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2013, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David you alright? What happened to the car? Are you getting another one?

I'm assuming totaled means wrecked?

Quick Reply: Anybody make a proper baffled oil pan? IN PRODUCTION!