New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Autocross Prep and Progression *56k beware* New Ride!

Old 05-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Autocross Prep and Progression *56k beware* New Ride!

i know this topic is covered quite a bit on the R&C forum, but i just wanted to shed some light on an amazing piece. i didnt know about this item until i started autocrossing. yes its expensive but worth every penny, specially if you are gonna race your car.

side by side with an ap2 bar, i believe its rated at 311 lbs/in. the gendron sway bar i have is the 1.25" hollowbar.

it comes with ball bearing mounts that requires no servicing.

all i can say is the car is a totally different car now, i drove it for 4 miles on my usual off ramps and what a difference it made. the entire shakedown i had a grin from ear to ear. it def inspires confidence, it corrected the twitchiness and the snap that the ap2 is known for.

if any one is in the market for a bar this should be one of the top choices to consider. its on the expensive side but im a firm believer of " doing it right the first time " if anyone wants a ride to see how it feels ill see you at the hump day meet.

May 5th 2013

Ran the car at the PCA auto X event. i was aiming to be within 4-5 sec range of the other s2000's prepped for STR. and did just that. i just have more driving to learn im sure i can get it closer the way the car is set up. once i get into 3-4 sec range then ill install the CR shocks and the center adjusters. i ran this event on the 4 y/o used Toyo R1R's ( which btw does not like too much heat, def need to spray them down during events specially with 2 drivers ), i will be picking up another set of wheels and tires tonight 215/245 Azenis RT615k's. lets see how those do. couldnt pass up the on the price for basically new tires.

update 5/31/2013

got some new rubber! decided to go with the Dunlop ZII 245/40 f and 255/40 rear. gotta wear them in for 300 miles and then ill come back and give a review on how they compare against 4 yo Toyo R1R 225/255 set up. lol

6/1/2013

more stuff!!! my FLCA along with new compliant bolts, tie rods ( inner and outer ) valve cover gasket, oil filters, fluids and rotors. im set to go for the season, cant catch this guy off guard.

6/9/2013

yay i got 3rd place at MSNE autox today. the cars capabilities are much higher now. with the new tires working in conjunction to take full advantage of the sway bar was night and day. ran the front tires at 41 psi and rears at 37. the tires are great in heat management for a single driver. at my 7th run is when they started to taper off. ill bring something to measure heat next time. i am definitely impressed with these tires.

video!

yeah i know its bad.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmTonjuvujM[/media]

6/16/2013

Just finished the Evo School. man that was money well spent. the amount of instruction you get is great. the instructors were all really skilled and knowledgeable and were able to pin point and help me fix my mistakes. This is the best way to start autox IMHO. the discipline and techniques were exactly what most will think it is, but having a dedicated instructor in a constant environment helped solidify the technique they were teaching. i def picked up so much more confidence and fixed many mistakes. i will def be attending Evo School Phase 2.

EDIT**

found a gem for anyone starting auto X. written by Andy Hollis on the Miatamx5 forum.

autox tips and tricks

exactly what we learned and the instructors did an awesome teaching us in real time application.

6/25/2013

cant wait to test these out. Qstarz External GPS 818xt with BAFX bluetooth OBDII reader paired with Torque app. let the data logging begin.

also a vibrant J hook o2 defouler. hope this works, the curse of the 06 Ap2 and the dreaded o2 CEL

**UPDATE** 10/12/2013

me and Steguis in RTR having fun.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yor77gBEO7c&feature=share&list=UUFgjci6oeD BTIqF4urJ5cGg[/media]

** UPDATE 11/6/2013**

compliance bushings.. we all know this can happen.

went to harbor freight to get a reciprocating saw and some blades. 40$ color me impressed

and an hour later....

** UPDATE NOV 10 2013 **

found some rust on the under body

hit it with the wire wheel and put some of this.

cut out both sides and started reinstalling with OEM replacement parts.

here is a camber bolt that had rust on it. cleaned up with wire wheel and sand it with some 600 grit to smooth it out. used my impact to make it easier.

now for the good parts =)

yes i know the sway bar isnt on. i have to preload it and make some final adjustments.

i also got to put the exhaust, intake and hfc on but didnt take pictures.

**UPDATE**

off the jack stands and all buttoned up. time for alignment on sunday.

got my tune done.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Community Organizer

3/22/14 MSNE autoX meadowlands.

the settings now are as follows.

HKS hipermax 3 sports 13kg front and 11kg rear.
-3.4 camber, 0 toe, max caster FRONT
-2.7 camber, 1/16th total toe REAR
Gendron Sway Bar settings 5/6

video of the first time out in a newly prepped STR car.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvRU0RLk5lA[/media]

** UPDATE 3/26/2014 **
Koni DA 800 lb f / 650 lb r ( shortened rear shock body by 40mm )
Removed sway bar

-3.0 camber, 6.8 caster 0 toe front
-2.5 camber, 1/16th total toe rear.
rear sway bar disconnected

corner balance info will be posted later tonight. forgot the sheet in the car.

update so far. so it only moved my ride height in the front by .25", the weird clunk that people reported about the Koni DA / TC klines , i dont hear it. i used to hear this weird clunk while taking off from a light slowly its now gone. maybe it was my sway bar or i just didnt preload the suspension enough before? in any case the car is quiet now. totally happy.

4/5/2014 SCCA NNJR EVENT #2

new set up, came in mid pack. finally getting used to the car.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVbTPve34q0[/media]

UPDATE! Its a little late but most of you know i picked up a new ride!

Heres what i have done to it so far.

All fluids replaced with AMSOIL and some autocross preparation

Update!

New Karcepts bar installed.

Here is the write up install.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/110...#entry23350783
Old 05-02-2013, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome Hez!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Community Organizer

Thanks John! now i gotta get some tires ordered up, these Toyos aint gonna last another 2 events.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd say the Saner bar is up there in performance, of coarse the Gendron is top choice for a track set up, but for amasing street performance Saner is great. And modiction now sells them under a rebranded name. Good review though, enjoy. Btw what are your settings?
Old 05-03-2013, 03:50 AM
Community Organizer

Right now im running the 3rd hole from the softest setting. (softest is hole closest to the rear of the car)

pulled from another thread.

gendron 1.25" hollow setting 1 578/527/721
gendron 1.25" hollow setting 2 628/571/782
gendron 1.25" hollow setting 3 685/621/850 <<<<<<<<<<<< the middle numbers is lbs/in
gendron 1.25" hollow setting 4 831/742/1016
gendron 1.25" hollow setting 5 917/817/1118
gendron 1.25" hollow setting 6 1016/904/1238

yeah i heard that moddiction was selling it, i got this bar for a pretty good deal so i couldnt pass it up. my other choice but was also hard to find was the Ankeny blade bar.

im currently on stock ap2 shocks and ap2 rear sway. the only upgrades the car has is an exhaust and a berk HFC. im currently running Toyo R1R 225/255 set up. i bought these tires 4 years ago lol. ill be aiming for a set of RE-11A or Dunlop ZII but leaning more toward the RE-11A.

ill be changing set ups as i go, i have a set of CR shocks with swift springs that i will install maybe mid way through the season and get bumped up to STR.

ill get a better feed back once i get to test it this sunday.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:44 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

really looking into getting one of these....but as always,...not sure the cost is worth it. Wish I could ride before I buy.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:53 AM
Community Organizer

to me its def worth it. but the saner bar like mentioned by s2kslav is a real good cost effective replacement. if you want a ride at the next meet you got one.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:03 PM
Community Organizer

got some new rubber for the season. =)
Old 06-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Community Organizer

got 3rd place today at MSNE yay. updates are shown on the edits of first 2 original post.

video!

yeah i know its bad.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmTonjuvujM[/media]

will get better in time!

Quick Reply: Autocross Prep and Progression *56k beware* New Ride!