S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

what would u do with $5000? an a stock s2k

Old 06-21-2013, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd call Ankeney racing and order some Penske shocks and mate them to the springs that would work well with the the desired application and valving. Sway bars and then whatever it takes to get the alignment sorted would be next.

Then I'd stuff the widest set of wheels and sticky tires I could make fit on the car.

If you're going racing read the rule books first, digest and re-read. At a minimum I'd then go autocross the car.

I figure if I wanted a ton more power and something that handles better I'd sell the S and buy a 9 year old corvette z06 but for now I dig the slightly smaller size.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:09 AM

I see lots of people upgrade front sway bars or recommend it, but I'm not sure why? Body roll can be countered in a bunch of different ways that I find more appealing (stiffer shocks etc) which don't reduce the benefits of independent suspension the way thicker sway bars do. Thicker sway bars also induce more understeer, especially on a staggered setup, which I absolutely hate. Right now my setup is awesome and I can induce oversteer in a very controllable manner on-demand or if I just push to the limits in a corner all 4 tires break away at the same time. Absolutely perfect neutral handling, my ideal situation. I hope when I go with stickier tires, that doesn't change, and my overall grip index just goes up.

As for the mods, like others have said, it depends on what you want to do. The s is has great everything from the factory, so you could focus on improvements from two sides: handling if you find power adequate or power if you find handling adequate.

Power Modding:
N/A setup:
Exhaust, intake, ECU, tune ~$3k

FI:
Supercharger kit with pre-tuned ECU ~$5k. I'd go super over turbo because they're more reliable and can actually be run on a track for long duration with no issues like overheating. They also have good base maps for most products so you don't need to bother with tuning.

Handling Mods:
wheels/tires/coilovers/sway bars (if you want the easier driving of understeer or if you go square tire setup)/corner balance/alignment
Old 06-21-2013, 07:47 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Wheels if you don't like the ap2v1's, Dunlop ZII, KWv3, J's 70rs Dual and a CT engineering intake. The last 2 are if you keep the stock wheels, otherwise you would be over budget.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:51 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

put out the weight from your car ,is cheapone
aem ecu
comprettion
big pistons
big cams
thats all
Old 06-22-2013, 06:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Invest in the stock market.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:59 AM

BC 2 cam, springs and retainers, Headwork, ecu upgrade with dyno tune and good a nice 70mm berk exhaust.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by rus21s
BC 2 cam, springs and retainers, Headwork, ecu upgrade with dyno tune and good a nice 70mm berk exhaust.
bc cams are a waste of money.. urge cams, headwork, and im
Old 06-24-2013, 06:32 PM

V8 swap !!! Reliable power same weight or less then stock and it still handles the same..... 350hp stock is so sweet and no one has one..... You will be the talk of your local car meets.....

Lee
Old 06-24-2013, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by s2kt3
V8 swap !!! Reliable power same weight or less then stock and it still handles the same..... 350hp stock is so sweet and no one has one..... You will be the talk of your local car meets.....

Lee
If you wanted small and V8 then get a Miata. Flyin' Miata has been churning out everything required for a LS series V8 in a Miata for years - and you'd have about 300lbs less weight Their current base engine is a 430hp LS3 and this can be combined with every part required to do the swap from engine mounts, headers, transmission, driveshaft and rear end inc new diff. They have a handling package too that's allow their cars to take FTD at a number of Autocross events.

If you have a nice S2000 and $5000, sell the S and see if you can buy an Elise
Old 06-25-2013, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Swampy1970
Originally Posted by s2kt3' timestamp='1372127536' post='22628799

Lee
If you wanted small and V8 then get a Miata. Flyin' Miata has been churning out everything required for a LS series V8 in a Miata for years - and you'd have about 300lbs less weight Their current base engine is a 430hp LS3 and this can be combined with every part required to do the swap from engine mounts, headers, transmission, driveshaft and rear end inc new diff. They have a handling package too that's allow their cars to take FTD at a number of Autocross events.

If you have a nice S2000 and $5000, sell the S and see if you can buy an Elise
Elise is a sidegrade at best, and arguably a worse sidegrade oftentimes.

-ex Elise owner.

Quick Reply: what would u do with $5000? an a stock s2k