UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

LSD Motorsport Tanabe Touring Exhaust

Old 06-26-2013, 03:29 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Default LSD Motorsport Tanabe Touring Exhaust

After a good few months of searching for an aftermarket exhaust that meets the following requirements i found something
- Low Noise specifically able to pass noise tests at UK tracks
- Good quality
- Lighter than stock
- No Raspyness like the cheap Jap cans you get on ebay
- If i gain some power then great but more interested in abit of weight loss and long lasting stainless.

I found the Tanabe Medallion Touring exhaust which claims to be 93db

I looked at the costs of buying one in the UK and the only retailer i could find of the Touring exhaust was FunkyPower at a cost of £965. Not cheap as im sure you can agree but compared to say the scorpion/cobra exhausts in the UK at least it was a proven exhaust in terms of noise for my requirements. In the past i have brought noisier exhausts and tried to quieten them down but always found it to be abit of a bodge. Loads of drone and very little difference in terms of noise for alot of agro.

I read a few comments and posts on here on people who had imported their exhausts through LSD Motorsports in the US. I went on there website and managed to get the exhaust with shipping for just over a $1000 including postage. I had spoke to LSD regarding import tax's and came to a figure of around £100. So a total cost of £800 with a saving of £150 over a UK retailer.

Any worries about LSD Motorsport quickly disappeared when they sent me a tracking number and a delivery time of less than a week. The exhaust turned up yesterday and i had it fitted in less than two hours. I cant believe the shipping was only $120 for a box that weight 26KG and is huge.

Anyway here's a few photos of the fitting

The old exhaust was pretty good for 7 years old but the welds around the hangers on the rear boxes were starting to corroded quite badly. A few rattles when revving for noise test and letting off the gas, almost like a baffle plate was coming loose.

This exhaust is listed for 00-05 AP1 models and i had heard that the the tailpipes can stick out abit more than the factory items when fitted to an older model car. There is also the difference of hanger design where the later S2000's have two 3 holed rubber exhaust hangers compared to the two holed items on the earlier models. I got round this by buying some universal exhaust rubbers so that i had an element of adjustability on the exhaust alignment. The exhaust pipes do stick out further than OEM but it doesn't look stupid.

Im really impressed with the exhaust, the stainless steel looks amazing and the fitment is very good. The only tiny issue is that the exhaust is in 4 pieces.

- Mid silencer
- Y- Piece
- 2 x Rear silencers

The gasket between the Y piece and the Mid silencer has alot of play in it when bolting it up, You could bolt the flanges up with the gasket hole being off centre and blocking the exhaust flow. Im hoping on fitting a slightly larger holed size gasket so that it still seals but without any room for it to block exhaust gases.

Started the car up and was abit gutted with the lack of noise coming from the exhaust, sounded quieter than stock which i have had tested many times at 90db. After a good 30 minute run at 70mph the exhaust sounded much better, no raspyiness but a lovely bassy tone. No real drone at motorway speeds and higher in the rev range its drowned out by the KN. Just what i wanted! I run an Invidia Decat which also has an effect on noise i would imagine.

Im glad i spent abit more and got that noise that i wanted rather than something insanely loud for £500 and then living to regret it.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks amazing. Really looks good quality from the pictures you have posted.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 06-26-2013, 09:38 PM

Where did you get your rubbers from mate? I have a scorpion on a pre facelift
Model and it sits to the left. Tried bending hangers but has no real affect. Not loads but really bugs me. Looks really good on your car mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2013, 03:00 AM

looks fantastic, love the look on brand new exhaust I use LSD motors I got a Invidia Q300 and it cost me £550 including shipping and tax so I was over the moon and love it ever since
Old 06-27-2013, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by C3wrb
Where did you get your rubbers from mate? I have a scorpion on a pre facelift
Model and it sits to the left. Tried bending hangers but has no real affect. Not loads but really bugs me. Looks really good on your car mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ebay is your friend!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-TECH-rac...item2c6a3a3d5a
Old 06-27-2013, 10:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good Mark, very similar in styling to my GReddy SE

Have you got a shot from the side to show how much they stick out from the bumper?
Old 06-27-2013, 12:28 PM

They stick out of the recessed part of the bumper where the OEM tailpipes are but its not like they stick out miles. Drove it again tonight in the rain and have to say i love the sound at low revs, nice and bassy, that noise all disappears when you get to 4K revs at motorways speeds, its almost silent.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:27 AM

Looks good and I like the fact that it doesn't drone.
I wonder if the concept G is the same, or if that one drones??
Old 06-30-2013, 12:04 PM

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAGVMKieung[/media]

Not a video i made but shows the sound up close

The exhaust has bedded in abit more, sounds loud when revs are below 4000rpm. Not drone but quite boomy. Once you give the car abit more throttle it quieten's down.

Will jack the car up tomorrow and just check all the joints to make sure there isn't any leaks. Doesn't sound like its blowing but you never know!

Quick Reply: LSD Motorsport Tanabe Touring Exhaust