S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission Issue - Rebuild or replace, how long? [video included]

Old 07-22-2013, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Issue - Rebuild or replace, how long? [video included]

So I drove 3 miles hard with no transmission fluid.

I was at Summit Point Main last weekend, and towards the end of my first session on the main straight my car started pouring smoke out the back. No oil light, etc comes on. I pit in anyway. I park the car, and rev it, having someone check the tailpipes for anything coming out. Nothing. I had driven to the track with a spare gas can in the trunk and it had tipped and leaked a bit, so I thought it was some of the gas moving its way out the trunk and landing on the exhaust, burning itself off on the exhaust/diff from the heat.

I took the car out for a quick run outside the track complex to ensure the rest was burnt off (so I thought), and I started getting some 4th gear pop-out. On the way back the transmission is not making good noises, some significant rattling. I limped in, got it on a trailer, looked underneath, and find out my drain plug had backed itself out, and that smoke I saw was my transmission fluid burning up on my exhaust.

Thankfully, the guys with the trailer were nice enough to take me to the closest Honda dealer - I bought a new drain plug, washer and 2 qts of MTF. I was able to drive home, I kept my speeds under 50 just to be safe. I needed to get within 70 miles of home anyway for my free USAA tow if the thing completely failed on me.

The car will engage gear and accelerate fine, but is making some noises. First, there is now some mechanical whine corresponding with revs, which I imagine is some sort of bearing issue on the input side. I also get another noise that I would best describe as a sot of clucking or gobbling, and I have no idea on that one. Given the viscosity of gear oil and that the output is behind the drain plug, I imagine the back end stayed relatively lubricated.

Video Included:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac5lS...ature=youtu.be

I have a friend who is very mechanically savvy (fully builds drag cars himself) who said he'll help me pull the transmission and take a look at it. Basically, I think we should be able to get away with a flush, replace the bearings that need it, and clutch kit and be good, as does my friend. The other alternative is obviously a full replacement. I have a beater that I can daily for the time being, but how much longer do you think the current tranny will last (obviously I'm done auto-Xing and tracking until this issue is taken care of)?

What does the hive mind here think?
Old 07-22-2013, 04:06 AM

Received 1,226 Likes on 754 Posts

I'd imagine the gears are going to be scored. Bearing damage will take a lot more time to develop.

You will likely find it a total loss, as one gear is morbidly expensive. The cost of two gears you could have a used trans ready to go.

Find a trans. s2kiOEparts might have one, PM him.

Check the FS forum, and post a WTB ad (want to buy) In the want to buy forum.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:53 AM

Billman,

Thanks. On the used transmission issue - I should only replace with an AP2 one, correct?

From a quick ebay search I'm seeing AP1s are much cheaper, only reason I'm asking.

Also, I know you it's probably not the best decision, but would I be safe to continue driving the car? And how much life do you think it still has in it if I abstain from motorsport? I still need to get to work obviously. I do have a winter beater but it's still really in the poor-weather-only stages and not quite ready for dd duty.

EDIT: One last question - If my clutch was good before this do I need to replace it? I know its recommended because the transmission is out, but I could conceivably reuse it, correct?
Old 07-25-2013, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by duffman13
Billman,

Thanks. On the used transmission issue - I should only replace with an AP2 one, correct?

From a quick ebay search I'm seeing AP1s are much cheaper, only reason I'm asking.

Also, I know you it's probably not the best decision, but would I be safe to continue driving the car? And how much life do you think it still has in it if I abstain from motorsport? I still need to get to work obviously. I do have a winter beater but it's still really in the poor-weather-only stages and not quite ready for dd duty.

EDIT: One last question - If my clutch was good before this do I need to replace it? I know its recommended because the transmission is out, but I could conceivably reuse it, correct?
If tranny is out refresh clutch components unless you just did it recently. AP2 tranny has better syncros and slightly different gearing I think.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:29 AM

Received 1,226 Likes on 754 Posts

Both ap1 and ap2 trans are equally reliable.

Just need to change flange on the back, and add a yellow box to correct the speedo.

Stock clutch disc thickness is about .330 when brand new.

If you are measuring .305 or better, it can be reused. All depends on current operating technique of the driver.

Anything measuring under that should be replaced.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:41 AM

Same thing happened to my buddy's car. He flushed the tranny several times and drove it the rest of the year before replacing it.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:29 AM

thanks everyone. I already have a replacement sourced and will be getting it swapped in early August.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
I'd imagine the gears are going to be scored. Bearing damage will take a lot more time to develop.

You will likely find it a total loss, as one gear is morbidly expensive. The cost of two gears you could have a used trans ready to go.

Hi, do you know who is the best source for an used tranny now?? Thank!
Old 09-09-2016, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Frankkkkkk
Originally Posted by Billman250' timestamp='1374494772' post='22679608

Hi, do you know who is the best source for an used tranny now?? Thank!
You can find used trannys for the S pretty much all over the forums... It is a b*tch of a job though lol. On the note of the AP1 vs. AP2 trans, the only "big" difference is the slightly better syncros in the AP2 and that the 5th and 6th gear ratios are different, but if you can find an AP1 trans with low miles for like $400 take that deal.