Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE11A vs Pilot Super Sport vs. Rival

Old 08-16-2013, 12:07 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoazn
Originally Posted by DavidNJ' timestamp='1376681133' post='22728476
Whats the difference between AP2 and AP2V2 wheels? Why go one size bigger? Can the 1/2" wider width make that much difference on the street?
Only the look.

225/255 gives more tire width and still is within the rim width spec for the tire.

The vote seems to unanimously be RE-11A. That should tell you something.
Width isn't always better. Sometimes sidewall support adds better steering response.

The RE11A only comes in one 18" size and none larger....all the rest are 17" and below. The PSS comes in sizes for 4500# cars with 500hp. It might be that a 2800#/240hp car with a low CG has different demands.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Originally Posted by alSpeed2k' timestamp='1376503088' post='22724219
[quote name='s2ka' timestamp='1376061365' post='22715442']
I've had the RE050, PSS, and RE11. I haven't tried the RE11A but it seems to me the biggest change was a huge reduction in price, so I'd be surprised if there was a significant improvement considering the tread pattern is virtually identical and it's just a revision version of the RE11. I currently have two sets of identical 17x7.5 +50 and 17x9 +63 CE28 wheels, one with RE050, one with RE11. I had a set of PSS on the exact same wheels. All tires in OEM sizes, 215/245.

Anyway, here's my take on them.

The RE11 has more grip but it's not a huge leap for street driving. In the old days you could go from a Goodyear Eagle to a Yokohoma A008R and be blown away by how much more grip you got from sticky tires. Now, it's more about the trade-offs because the performance gain is miniscule for the street. The downside to the RE11 is that they're not very good until they warm up, the fronts are wide so they rub a little on my 1" lowered car. The sidewalls feel pretty stiff but not harsh. The steering response feels a little slow and muted, even though the grip is high. Life of the rears should be around 10k miles for street driving. It's a good looking tire, if that matters.

The PSS were not very impressive to me. It's an ok tire that's probably better suited for a BMW sedan. On and S it kind of skates around like a Falken RT-615. The rears look a little too narrow for the spec size, for the stock wheels it should be fine, I'm on 17x9. The ride is decent, the grip is decent. The warranty says 30k miles, but that's just for non-staggered sizes, for the OEM S2000 sizes you don't get a mileage warranty. They just didn't do much for me, and I'm a big Michelin fan.

And now the RE050. Honda and Bridgestone designed these just for the S2000. The rears are wide, the fronts are narrow. Good rear grip, crisp steering response, no fender rubbing. They work good as soon as you fire up the car, no warm up needed. In the corners they break away with consistency so you know what the car is going to do at all times. They're overpriced and not extreme performance, so people bag on them. But after trying almost a dozen different tires on my S I still think they're the best all around street tire if you exclude price, which isn't a big factor for me. I just want the best feeling tire for the car, and that's the RE050 for me.
Hmmm, interesting! For me the OEM 050s were stiffer, and that's about it. To me the RE11a's are better in every other way! Mind you I have the RE11a's (never drove the non "a's") in a 225/255 configuration on OEM AP2V2 wheels. I love the RE11as!

To the op, I haven't driven the PSS before, but based on my experience with the RE11a's I don't think you would be disappointed with these. Also, go for the 225/255 combo if you like to corner hard!
Whats the difference between AP2 and AP2V2 wheels? Why go one size bigger? Can the 1/2" wider width make that much difference on the street?[/quote]

What psychoazn said & possibly a small weight difference and yes, I think so, if you take spirited mountain drives; easy Saturday drive, probably not.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:28 PM

It also raises the CG by 1/4" and the roll center.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It also raises the CG by 1/4" and the roll center.
You're honestly not going to notice this, if you're asking us what tire you should use.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are flat out convinced PSS is better in every way, shape, and form, then just use it as your preferred tire. RE-11A is my choice. If you're looking for someone to change your mind, I have track friends who swore by the PSS. And then they tried an Extreme tire. The rest is history.

*Deliberate punctuation used for emphasis.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:52 PM

I'm pretty convinced the RE11A is the better tire on an S2000.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adrs2k
^ No the PSS is not even close to the RE11A in performance. You can't compare a 300 tire to a 200 tire performance wise. Not saying PSS isnt a good tire, its just not in the same league or even close to the RE11.

agreed. do they make pss in a 255?
Old 08-29-2013, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell yea, if you want a Extreme performance tire on the car, go with Pss if you want Max performance
Old 08-29-2013, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by hatchhero
Originally Posted by DavidNJ' timestamp='1376725936' post='22729381

Hell yea, if you want a Extreme performance tire on the car, go with Pss if you want Max performance
That's not what people are saying. The RE11A is the better tire in all regards except to a small degree in some wet conditions and wear (maybe).

Tire Rack Extreme/Max even Grand Touring aren't absolutes. The PSS, 2 years ago, was thought to be the equal of virtually all the TR Extreme Performance tires of the time. Winning overall, it placed a close second the best of the then Extreme tires in lap times.

Since then we have the RE11 and RE11A, the Direzza V2, and the BFG Reveal. Dunlop went in a weird way with the V2. The V1 was the class leader when it came out 5 or so years ago.

My guess is the S2000 would work best with a larger front tire using an adjustable bar to tune balance; this helps keep with the Torsen diff which needs the inside rear wheel on the ground. Some find just going a size bigger all around helps. Equal all around is common on GT-Rs, although IMHO the S2k is a way more fun street car..

This is a fitment guide on this website: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/342...fitment-guide/
Old 08-29-2013, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hatchhero' timestamp='1377786330' post='22751377
[quote name='DavidNJ' timestamp='1376725936' post='22729381']

That's not what people are saying. The RE11A is the better tire in all regards except to a small degree in some wet conditions and wear (maybe).

Tire Rack Extreme/Max even Grand Touring aren't absolutes. The PSS, 2 years ago, was thought to be the equal of virtually all the TR Extreme Performance tires of the time. Winning overall, it placed a close second the best of the then Extreme tires in lap times.

Since then we have the RE11 and RE11A, the Direzza V2, and the BFG Reveal. Dunlop went in a weird way with the V2. The V1 was the class leader when it came out 5 or so years ago.

My guess is the S2000 would work best with a larger front tire using an adjustable bar to tune balance; this helps keep with the Torsen diff which needs the inside rear wheel on the ground. Some find just going a size bigger all around helps. Equal all around is common on GT-Rs, although IMHO the S2k is a way more fun street car..

This is a fitment guide on this website: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/342...fitment-guide/
[/quote]

Take those tire tests with a grain of salt especially for track use. The tests are done with cold-ish tires for a single 30-ish second lap... EPS tires need more heat than that heat to reach their true potential, whereas the PSS and other max performance summer tires are designed to generate peak grip at lower temperatures. Also each tire requires a different setup (alignment, pressure, and even driving style) to extract everything from it, which tire rack doesn't do. Im aware the last part isn't really feasible for tire rack to do, but just pointing it out.

My point is the most valuable data from the tests tire rack does to me is the subjective stuff. The objective data is fun to look at but it doesn't always tell the whole story. Grassroots did the same tire test with the new generation of EHP tires and came up with completely different results.

One last thing to point out is that the same tire brand/model may use slightly different compounds for different sizes throughout its size range.

Quick Reply: RE11A vs Pilot Super Sport vs. Rival