Drifting the s2k first session at Oulton Park

#1 User is offline   a3lkx 

• Group: Member
  • Interests:gym,s2000's!!! money haha

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:53 PM

Date: 16/8/2013
Place: Oulton Park
Vehicle: S2000

1st Full session in the S, with make shift Go Pro bracket, fitted via the ariel stub. I was extremely cautious as I know how much these can bite! Good day all in all. Loads of fun. Had my first medical at Oulton to....which is another story.

https://www.youtube....h?v=s7cDcUUS6as

Theres more videos on my channel.

#2 User is offline   MB 

• Group: UK Moderator

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

Nice.

That MX5 was close!

#3 User is offline   Themikewoo 

• Group: Guest

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

View Posta3lkx, on 17 August 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

Had my first medical at Oulton to....which is another story.

Nice video.

Elaborate?

#4 User is offline   a3lkx 

• Topic Starter

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:05 AM

Cheers guys. I seen the mx5 spin so I thought id put the shits up him a little haha :) There are some more videos on my channel.

To Elaborate on the medical! - I jumped in with a guy because he looked like fun ( didn't really have a clue what he was doing but was giving it ago, we all start somewhere right ). well long story short he loses it in the armco and smashes the side of his mx5 off the sides it was great fun! And it was all caught on camera. So the marshals wouldn't let us back on without a medical. I've been to Oulton around 30 times and not once have I been for a medical. I am trying to get the footage off him so ill post it up once I have it.

Here's a picture of my make shift camera mount. :)

Attached File  IMG_4580.JPG (1.96MB)
Number of downloads: 47

#5 User is online   Nottm_S2 

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:14 AM

i wouldnt have dicked about in that narrow bit, armco central. is that where he had his ding dong?

looks a good laugh
man-horns, OEM 17s and a big fat HKS - just iron out the flaws, don't get carried away :D

#6 User is offline   a3lkx 

• Topic Starter

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:20 AM

Ive been drifting for a bout 2 years now and i'm pretty confident even on public roads :) :D. I took it easy in the S as it was my first full session with her and having owned one previously I know how hard they kick you if you get it wrong! Ive done around 20-25 drifting session all in all and around 6-8 track days including Nords and the nurburg GP circuit. The ding dong was in the Armco yes, but not in my car nor was it me driving.

#7 User is offline   a3lkx 

• Topic Starter

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

Footage of the mx5, its been edited and it was alot more fun than it looks

#8 User is offline   Burnsy 

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

This looks like great fun. How often do they do these days? And how much does it cost?

Would love to have a go at this, although I'm sure I'd be all over the place!

#9 User is offline   E4RTH WORM JIM 

• Interests:Comptech Power

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

About £130 from memory.

It's far better when the tracks dry, they wet it due to noise though :(
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
My S2000 - [URL=http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/954146-ewjs-ultimate-ultimate-s2000/[/URL] <span style='color:red'><b>F

#10 User is offline   a3lkx 

• Topic Starter

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

Oulton Park hosts around 12-15 sessions a year. There are other venues through out the uk. have a google search or check out MSV.com. Next session at Oulton Park is 6th sept. Oh and it is great fun!

#11 User is offline   jezer101 

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

The bloke in the mx5 didn't look too bothered smacking the armco!

Looks great fun, although i would hate to go through that armco section where he crashed, as i had snapoff oversteer and hit some armco in the wet!

#12 User is offline   BenRNBP 

• View gallery
  • Interests:Wakeboarding

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:01 AM

Thanks for posting this, an enjoyable watch on your you tube channel. Not sure I'd get the hang of it too quickly, are these drifting sessions supplied with tuition or is it pretty much run-what-you-brung ?

#13 User is offline   unclefester 

• View gallery

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:45 AM

Looks like fun .... but the use of 'confident even on public roads' doesn't fill me with confidence - one thing when the traffic is all going the same way on known quality tarmac on a private track ........ quite another on the open road.

Given how cheap those days are, is it even worth the risk doing it elsewhere :)
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   a3lkx 

• Topic Starter

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:12 AM

yes they offer tuition throughout the day at £25 a for around 1 hour.They take you out and teach you certain things and let you practice, then jump back in to see how your doing. To be fair they jump in and out of your car all day so its money well spend. Unclefester once your as good as me you can drift any where Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image. In general you dont take a car your emotionally attached to or your daily driver because accidents do happen. With that said my very first session 2-3 years ago I took my s2 elise!! I learned very quickly and bought a cheap mk2 mx5. It took some stick I can tell you and up until recently she was my drift car until the diff blew. So I started to use the S2k and its so much easier! If your not really sure you know what your doing take it easy!, practice on the long wide corners!, get some lessons, practice. These days are full with all different level 'drifters' and we all start somewhere. What I started to do was to drive around the circuit as fast as I could so I could see how the car reacted. This worked for me because you cant really drive that quick because its so slippy and I got the hang of correcting the car once i'd lost it. Then I started clutch kicking on the wide long corners so I could get use to the drifting feel. Then just basically started to link all the corners and applying the hand break. You will quickly learn how to position the car for corners or obstacles. It took me around 5 sessions to get the hang of everything and then just practiced ever since. I have posted in the events section for the upcoming sessions at Oulton park and I am more than happy for anyone to jump in with me if they fancied it on the day.

#15 User is online   RichwiththeS2000 

• Interests:Cars & Guitars

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:18 AM

If anyone asks, that first 360 was deliberate ;)

Looks fun :) I do love drifting but there's not much in that between having an awesome slide and clipping a bunch of tyres and smashing a bumper off or hitting the armco and wrecking your car. 'think I'd feel too shit about ruining my car if I did that
MY05 Royal Navy Blue Pearl - K&N FIPK Intake - UK Exhaust mod (28mm) - Meister R coilovers - Hardrace Anti Bump-steer kits (front and rear) - Powerflex polybushes - TGM Geo Feb 2013 - Now!

MY01 Silverstone Silver - S2K Works Dual-Exit Exhaust - Garage R Decat - BackYard Special Low Seat Rail - Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs - 17" Rota Fighters - Buddy Club Carbon Fibre Bonnet - K&N Cone Intake Feb 2010 - June 2012

#16 User is offline   MB 

• Group: UK Moderator

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:21 AM

I thought the 1st one looked intentional too :D ;)

#17 User is offline   a3lkx 

• Topic Starter

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:29 AM

defo wasn't intentional :) as you come through the armoc there's all dead leaves and tree sap and stuff plus the water they wet the surface with is from the lake which is full of algae, so its very slippy. There was loads of spinning in the S throughout the day as it was my first time drifting her, big difference in power,weight,grip,throttle response from the mx5. I must have span around 8 times. All good fun. Ill try and find some of my mx5 videos and upload them to youtube.

#18 User is offline   a3lkx 

• Topic Starter

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:32 AM

"Looks fun :) I do love drifting but there's not much in that between having an awesome slide and clipping a bunch of tyres and smashing a bumper off or hitting the armco and wrecking your car. 'think I'd feel too shit about ruining my car if I did that "

It is great fun. Dont use a car you want to keep mint. Loads of guys bring mot failures / rust buckets on a trailer. The days are about having fun and learning how to drift, not about worrying about smashing or wrecking your car.

#19 User is online   RichwiththeS2000 

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:39 AM

Yep, I had a bimmer 330 I built up as a drift car before my current S, kind of used that to get it out my system although at Santa pod! I may get another skid toy for the winter though, it is really fun :)

#20 User is offline   unclefester 

• View gallery

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:47 AM

once your as good as me you can drift any where - sounds like the kiss of death to me :tipwink:

#21 User is offline   a3lkx 

• Topic Starter

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:02 AM

Rich is wasn't green by any chance was it? I might have a picture of it somewhere on my computer. If your good enough you shouldn't be hitting things Posted Image

#22 User is online   RichwiththeS2000 

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:22 AM

Nah it was blue with white BBS LMs :) I hit a lot cones but nothing serious :]

#23 User is offline   a3lkx 

• Topic Starter

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:28 AM

Ahh obversely not the same vehicle. Yea ive hit cones,cars,tyres, barriers throughout my learnings, its all experience and you learn from it. If you dont encounter any of these you dont know your limits and will more then likely not progress.

Ads by Google   S2KI

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users