UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Drifting the s2k

Old 08-18-2013, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bloke in the mx5 didn't look too bothered smacking the armco!

Looks great fun, although i would hate to go through that armco section where he crashed, as i had snapoff oversteer and hit some armco in the wet!
Old 08-18-2013, 11:01 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for posting this, an enjoyable watch on your you tube channel. Not sure I'd get the hang of it too quickly, are these drifting sessions supplied with tuition or is it pretty much run-what-you-brung ?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:45 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Looks like fun .... but the use of 'confident even on public roads' doesn't fill me with confidence - one thing when the traffic is all going the same way on known quality tarmac on a private track ........ quite another on the open road.

Given how cheap those days are, is it even worth the risk doing it elsewhere
Old 08-19-2013, 02:12 AM

yes they offer tuition throughout the day at £25 a for around 1 hour.They take you out and teach you certain things and let you practice, then jump back in to see how your doing. To be fair they jump in and out of your car all day so its money well spend. Unclefester once your as good as me you can drift any where . In general you dont take a car your emotionally attached to or your daily driver because accidents do happen. With that said my very first session 2-3 years ago I took my s2 elise!! I learned very quickly and bought a cheap mk2 mx5. It took some stick I can tell you and up until recently she was my drift car until the diff blew. So I started to use the S2k and its so much easier! If your not really sure you know what your doing take it easy!, practice on the long wide corners!, get some lessons, practice. These days are full with all different level 'drifters' and we all start somewhere. What I started to do was to drive around the circuit as fast as I could so I could see how the car reacted. This worked for me because you cant really drive that quick because its so slippy and I got the hang of correcting the car once i'd lost it. Then I started clutch kicking on the wide long corners so I could get use to the drifting feel. Then just basically started to link all the corners and applying the hand break. You will quickly learn how to position the car for corners or obstacles. It took me around 5 sessions to get the hang of everything and then just practiced ever since. I have posted in the events section for the upcoming sessions at Oulton park and I am more than happy for anyone to jump in with me if they fancied it on the day.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:18 AM

If anyone asks, that first 360 was deliberate

Looks fun I do love drifting but there's not much in that between having an awesome slide and clipping a bunch of tyres and smashing a bumper off or hitting the armco and wrecking your car. 'think I'd feel too shit about ruining my car if I did that
Old 08-19-2013, 02:21 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I thought the 1st one looked intentional too
Old 08-19-2013, 02:29 AM

defo wasn't intentional as you come through the armoc there's all dead leaves and tree sap and stuff plus the water they wet the surface with is from the lake which is full of algae, so its very slippy. There was loads of spinning in the S throughout the day as it was my first time drifting her, big difference in power,weight,grip,throttle response from the mx5. I must have span around 8 times. All good fun. Ill try and find some of my mx5 videos and upload them to youtube.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:32 AM

"Looks fun I do love drifting but there's not much in that between having an awesome slide and clipping a bunch of tyres and smashing a bumper off or hitting the armco and wrecking your car. 'think I'd feel too shit about ruining my car if I did that "

It is great fun. Dont use a car you want to keep mint. Loads of guys bring mot failures / rust buckets on a trailer. The days are about having fun and learning how to drift, not about worrying about smashing or wrecking your car.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:39 AM

Yep, I had a bimmer 330 I built up as a drift car before my current S, kind of used that to get it out my system although at Santa pod! I may get another skid toy for the winter though, it is really fun
Old 08-19-2013, 02:47 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

once your as good as me you can drift any where - sounds like the kiss of death to me

Quick Reply: Drifting the s2k