UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Craig's s2k

Old 09-07-2013, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Craig's s2k

Hi all,

Firstly hello, just purchased my first s2000 so thought I would start a project thread and introduce myself and the car. I'm from sunny north east Scotland and will hopefully meet a few of you on track!

My car history......

Clio 182 - full on track car

Evo 4 - road/track car

The evo ended by throwing a rod after that I bought A jeep for the winter that I still own and still use when the weather gets bad. I then bought an ep3 type r that was a bloody good car but just not involving enough after the evo. I went on the look out for a vx220 but kept getting drawn to the s2000! I loved the engine/box in the ep3 so knew I would get on with the s2000 and it was a bit more practical than a vx220 so I went and got one!

It's a 1999 import, 65000 miles and pretty much standard! It has braided brake lines and of course the wheels! It has a lot of evidence that once in its life it was fairly modified but I'm happier starting with a standardish car!

So, the car is will be a weekend/track/sprint car so I have been searching and reading far too much on what the best way to go is.

My biggest concern just now is the geo/wheel set up. The current oz's are "square" being 225/45/17 all round. The car tramlines very badly and to be honest is a bloody handful at the national speed limit on the roads around me! It feels very planted, and turns in nicely (I wouldn't go as far to say good though...) but any slight contour/rut/ridge just pulls the car everywhere!

The geo is currently set standard ap1. So do you guys think I should go to a staggered set up (bearing in mind the use it will get) or do I need to alter my geo set up to make the most of the tire sizes being the same? I want to stay 17" for track use for the greater tire selection as well!

I will leave the questions at that just now and hopefully you guys can help out (I have searched a lot but can't find any concise advice, just a lot of American build threads popping up that I have tried to make sense of ).

Anyway, Thanks for taking the time to read and any advice is appreciated!

Cheers
Craig
Old 09-08-2013, 02:01 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Welcome to S2KI mate looks very nice

I'd just opt for some facelift 17's which are 215 45 17's up front and 245 40 17's on the rear as standard. That should be more than sufficient.

Oh and ditch that hideous foglight too Put a red bulb in place of a reverse lamp
Old 09-08-2013, 02:47 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi Craig, enjoy!

All uk cars are AP1 btw
Old 09-08-2013, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome!

Also note that you have got a facelift front bumper which is a brucey bonus :-)
Old 09-08-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome.

Check out the link in my signature for new owners.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:52 PM

hey mate am also from scotland, Outside of Edinburgh. Car is looking clean,like a fresh canvas. I make sure the Geo bolts are all free and not seezed, Then id take it down to clcm at sighthill,You the place ? and get a full geo check up done
Old 09-09-2013, 08:55 AM

Cheers for the welcome guys!

Fog light is a bit but will have to stay as is just now!

Wheels wise I am going to get a set of standard 17's and go from there. Once they are on I will get the geo set up again.

Onto the next question then...... The damping on the car is very good for a standard in my opinion, but I cannot stand the arch gap! I was thinking about going for a set of springs (25mm - 30mm drop) tien, eibach etc so some recommendations would be good, or are coilovers a better option? I can't see the likes of the 500-800 quid range of coilovers being any better than standard but is it worth spending the big money on a decent set straight away?

Again, opinions are appreciated!

Cheers
Old 09-11-2013, 09:09 AM

Progress....

Met up with a fellow forum member and bought his k&n and 4.44 diff, que a couple of hours graft

And all back together

The k&n is just pure noise, sounds much better. The diff, well I can only a say honda should have built the car like this! It is a very noticeable difference IMO and a worthwhile upgrade! It just flys up the box now and feel a lot more torquey low down!

Next up is my new wheels (staggered 17's) and tire/suspension choices to make!

Cannot wait to get it out on track, possibly November but more than likely it will be next year!

Cheers
Old 09-11-2013, 09:29 AM

You don't hang about do you! Are those the same parts that were up for sale a couple of days ago??
Old 09-11-2013, 09:37 AM

Sure is, SCZ4's parts. Very genuine and honest seller

Quick Reply: Craig's s2k