S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Vintage Road Trip Across US?

Old 09-18-2013, 04:46 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Vintage Road Trip Across US?

Lots of us in the Vintage group are retired. Sure, everybody is still busy, but I'd like to suggest that we finally do something that we have long talked about doing! We'll plot an S2000 (run whatcha brung) road trip across the US from the east coast to the west coast and back, following US 50 -

http://www.roadtripu...eliestroad.html

- from east to west and returning west to east on the Lincoln Highway (there is of course some overlap in the routes).

http://www.lincolnhi...assoc.org/info/

People could join the itinerary anywhere along the way, and any member of S2Ki or S2KCA would be welcome to join in. Personally, I'd like to do the entire route.

If there is definite interest, lets do a planning committee with locals helping to plan the itinerary along the way, with day plans to include the history and geography of interesting places to stop and visit across the "Backbone of America". "Road Trip USA" is probably still a good starting guide.

Let's start talking about it seriously. 2014? What time of year would be best, and how long should we plan for the entire trek to take? Could it include S2KCA Days on the west coast? a rest stop in Durango?

Come on, Man!!
Old 09-18-2013, 05:27 AM

Received 1,412 Likes on 766 Posts

Jim, see my post #19 on S2KCA. I think this is a great idea, and I hope that we can make it happen!
Old 09-18-2013, 06:42 AM

Received 4,951 Likes on 3,003 Posts

As they say timing is everything but I am sure we could jump in and do a section of it.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:00 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Jim,

If I could, I would. I just don't think I'll have that kind of time on my hands in 2014.

However, I thought of this article by my automotive journalist hero Peter Egan when I read your original post. Enjoy.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/voices/c...e-65-1-roa0813
Old 09-19-2013, 02:25 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I'd love to do this, but I don't think I have much time available until about 2015 or 2016. If you plan on passing through New York or New Jersey I'd love to drive with you.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting idea. Sort of an Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test for Vintagers, without the acid or "Furthur". I wish I had the time for a what should be a very fun trip.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:16 AM

Received 4,951 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Jim,

If I could, I would. I just don't think I'll have that kind of time on my hands in 2014.

However, I thought of this article by my automotive journalist hero Peter Egan when I read your original post. Enjoy.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/voices/c...e-65-1-roa0813
Good read. I've never done much driving West and have never driven to the Pacific. Pet care is always an issue and it recently became worse when our last dependable one went off to college. None-the-less I can relate to pouring over Goggle maps until the candle burns out trying to find new untraveled roads north, east, south, and west. One of the things I really hate about living in the same location for 30 years.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:34 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

I have interest, just not sure I can do the whole thing.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Jim, since my trip in 2007 didn't materialize See the USA in your S2K I'm interested......
Old 09-20-2013, 08:02 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by S1997
Lots of us in the Vintage group are retired. Sure, everybody is still busy, but I'd like to suggest that we finally do something that we have long talked about doing! We'll plot an S2000 (run whatcha brung) road trip across the US from the east coast to the west coast and back, following US 50 -

http://www.roadtripu...eliestroad.html

- from east to west and returning west to east on the Lincoln Highway (there is of course some overlap in the routes).

http://www.lincolnhi...assoc.org/info/

People could join the itinerary anywhere along the way, and any member of S2Ki or S2KCA would be welcome to join in. Personally, I'd like to do the entire route.

If there is definite interest, lets do a planning committee with locals helping to plan the itinerary along the way, with day plans to include the history and geography of interesting places to stop and visit across the "Backbone of America". "Road Trip USA" is probably still a good starting guide.

Let's start talking about it seriously. 2014? What time of year would be best, and how long should we plan for the entire trek to take? Could it include S2KCA Days on the west coast? a rest stop in Durango?

Come on, Man!!
I have long wanted to drive US RT 50 from Coast to Coast as I have posted before. After S2K Days 11 at Keystone, SD (Mount Rushmore) I did a lap of Colorado before hitting RT 50 on my way back home. I have to state that I was a bit disappointed that by an large that the "mallization of America" has already happened for the most part. Even some of the "Mom & Pop" eateries that I found on my Yelp app had already "bit the dust".

Originally Posted by jukngene
Jim, see my post #19 on S2KCA. I think this is a great idea, and I hope that we can make it happen!
I am in Gene's camp about the route to S2K Days 14. I would also want to check off ND and MT as two of the five states that I have never been too on the way out to S2K Days or at least on the way back depending on if we could pull off a trip out on US RT 50.

I would LOVE to make this drive and S2K Days meet to a part of Oregon that I have never been too (as I have only ever been to the Portland area. I view this in the same light as people that have been to Manhattan and think that they have experienced New York State (including the East End of Long Island, the Hamptons or (especially the North Fork), the Catskills, or especially the Adirondack Mountains).

May I suggest that going forward you (we) try to tie in this road trip with visits to some of the legendary National Parks along the way? As well as the drive / fly model that you and Chris have done so well over the years.

Just my two cents.

Quick Reply: Vintage Road Trip Across US?