Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts

Old 09-30-2013, 11:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts

I had bought my 07 S2000 new and since the six years ofownership, I have thoroughly enjoyed the car even though I don’t know how todrive it to its full potential. In thefirst year of owning the car, I’ve attended two local autox events and felt badfor beating up on the car. For somereason, I didn’t feel bad autox-ing my previous Civic Si, Prelude andCelica. Regardless, I decided to stopautox-ing and just drive the car on the weekends when needed.

This year the S hit 58k miles on the odometer and I alsostarted to frequent the S2KI forum. Withreading all the mod reviews, in return gave me plenty of reasons/excuses to modmy S even though I’ve always told myself that whatever came on this car wasalready good enough so I wouldn’t mod it unless it was worn or requiredmaintenance. Regardless, I went alittle overboard with the mods. Firstwas the roll-bar, then the ASM exhaust. Idid some interior touchups with Mugen steering wheel, NSX horn and redlinegoods’leather shift boot and elbow pad cover. Shortlyafter, I bought new rotors and got my Volk CE28s and calipers powdercoated. I even drove down to VirginiaBeach to pick up a CR bumper/lip and trunk with wing (Thanks Pete/FISH22). Oh the J’s front and rear strut bars wasbought on a whim. Then I decided tore-spray the car. I thought I was donebut then I decided to sign up for the Fall Dragon event. This last bit gave me plenty of reason toconvince myself that my now 59k miles stock shocks and springs needed to bereplaced.

After “consulting” with some forum members, voices in myhead and reading on a couple of coilover reviews, I decided to go with theOhlins DFV. I contacted Urge Designs andworked with Patrick to put in a deposit for a set. After a one month wait, the Ohlinsarrived. I want to give a “Thank you”shout-out to Patrick over at Urge for his almost immediate responses to my emailswith questions and his help on resolving the FedEx two failed deliveryattempts. Customer service over at UrgeDesign is just plain awesome.

Install & Ride Quality

Living here in NY, I have access to one of the best, if notthe best S2000 mechanic, Billman. I hadBillman install the Ohlins and do a couple of test drives to see how the carhandled. The drop on the car is minimalas I wanted the car to sit close to stock height to avoid scraping going in/outof my garage. A few weeks after, I tookthe car down to Marion, VA to drive the “back of the dragon” and the “snake”. I survived both. The car felt great. It felt planted. With the smoother roads, less bumps, the ridewas very close to stock. For starters, Ihad both the front and back dialed in at 10 clicks, recommended byPatrick. Tire pressures were at 30psicold all around. For the ones that neverdrove the “back of the dragon” and the “snake” going down to Fontana Dam, Ihighly recommend it. It was fun andengaging. I’m a city boy, this is someexciting stuff for me. Two days later, Ifinally got to drive on the “tail of the dragon”. I had left the rears at 10 clicks but decidedto up the fronts to 12 clicks. Mind you,all this time, I had left my VSA on. Driving through “tail of the dragon” and “hell bender”, I can feel therear wanting to break loose more often. After looking at some of the GoPro videos, I can see the VSA light comeon a few times.

On the way home from Fontana Dam, I upped the front to 15clicks and rear to 12 clicks. Passingthrough VA and its smoother roads, it felt fine but the moment I got back intoNJ/NYC, I had to reset everything back to 10 clicks so I don’t feel like I’mlosing my teeth as I go over bumps.

Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase of the OhlinsDFV. The quality of the coilovers is topnotch. Albeit it did come with a verysmall defect that does not affect performance, I am happy with resolution thatPatrick over at Urge Design was willing to offer. This again is a testament to the highcustomer satisfaction that Urge Design provides for its customers. The ride quality in NYC roads is noticeable. For me, it is a good upgrade but the ridequality cannot and should not be compared to stock ride quality. After all, it is on stiffer springs. I noticed that it was slightly more jarringbut according to my fiancé, she did not notice a difference of ride qualityuntil I told her, I had changed the spring and shocks on the car.

Autox

I attended a local autox this past Saturday. Prior to the event, I had installed Eibachsway bars with stiffest on the front and softest on the rear to help with theover-steering I felt I was getting from the car. The first four runs in the morning was mesliding around on the course with constant adjustments on the dampening andtire pressure after each run. I wentfrom 12 clicks/30psi in the front and 10 clicks/28psi in the back to 15clicks/29psi in the front and 12clicks/28psi in the back. The car just kept sliding. I started the afternoon runs with 10clicks/30psi in the front to 10 clicks/28psi in the back and kept it that wayfor the remaining six runs. The car feltmuch better. I just got back to autox-ingso I’m still a bit rough on the edges. Iintend to attend another even in October before the season ends.

I apologize for the long read as a review for the Ohlins DFVturned into a bit of a build thread.

Ohlins (9/3/2013)
[attachment=46191:image.jpg]
[attachment=46192:image.jpg]
[attachment=46193:image.jpg]
[attachment=46194:image.jpg]
[attachment=46195:image.jpg]
[attachment=46196:image.jpg]

At the Dragon (9/10 - 9/15/2013)
[attachment=46204:image.jpg]
[attachment=46205:image.jpg]
[attachment=46206:image.jpg]
[attachment=46207:image.jpg]
[attachment=46197:image.jpg]
[attachment=46198:image.jpg]
[attachment=46199:image.jpg]

AutoX (9/28/2013)
[attachment=46200:image.jpg]
[attachment=46203:image.jpg]

Random
[attachment=46208:image.jpg]

[attachment=46209:image.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts-image.jpg   TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts-image.jpg   TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts-image.jpg   TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts-image.jpg   TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts-image.jpg  

TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts-image.jpg   TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts-image.jpg   TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts-image.jpg   TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts-image.jpg   TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts-image.jpg  

TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts-image.jpg   TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts-image.jpg   TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts-image.jpg   TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts-image.jpg   TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts-image.jpg  

TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts-image.jpg   TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts-image.jpg  
Old 10-01-2013, 01:56 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Keep up the good work....
Old 10-01-2013, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by jonner
Keep up the good work....
Thanks!
New toys for the weekend toy. One for safety reasons really.
[attachment=46234:image.jpg]

[attachment=46235:image.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts-image.jpg   TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts-image.jpg  
Old 10-01-2013, 05:50 PM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Floormats are super rad!

I'm super jealous of your suspension! Car looks great.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Feezy
Floormats are super rad!

Thanks. Those ASM floormats are pricey but I think they are pretty durable.

Don't be jealous, just sell one of your gears lip and help fund a set.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:07 AM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by TW00Si
Originally Posted by Feezy' timestamp='1380678620' post='22806428
Floormats are super rad!

Thanks. Those ASM floormats are pricey but I think they are pretty durable.

Don't be jealous, just sell one of your gears lip and help fund a set.
Haha. I've got a few sets of the OEM premium mats. I don't need more floormats... or maybe I do! I really like the style of the ASMs better than the OEM premiums, but the fact that they are totally flat kills it for me. I really love how the OEM Premium ones contour to the shape of the floor when going over the humps.

I'm looking forward to more pictures of your car.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interested in selling your premium mats?
Old 10-03-2013, 05:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car is awesome! I really like the look of a CR with a soft top.

Is that a J's hood?
Old 10-03-2013, 06:11 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking good, Rico!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:06 AM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Looking real good. Inspiring

Quick Reply: TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts