S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Stock class SCCA autocross rules/class changes 2014 & 2015

Old 11-01-2013, 09:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not new to the sport, newer than some, but more experienced than others. I've been doing this for 9 years now. My beef is similar to alot of others' I have heard from: I really want to race, I really want to compete, but I can't afford to be competetive. It seems like that was one reason for creating the 'street' class in the first place. I know they made up some 'bs' about how the R-comps drastically change the handling charasteristics of the vehicle so that it isn't the same as a 'stock' vehicle. While that is all well and true in some cases, you have to realize that the RT classes grew for a reason, and they grew quickly. Maybe it was that the tires were cheaper, therefore the cost of running was cheaper. Maybe it was because some cars had an advantage and others didn't when on 'street' tires, it's all very individualized, but we all have to agree that there are probably a LOT of people at your local events that would be more attracted to the sport if there was a way for them to run competetively on a much smaller budget. It just so happens that I'm kind-a in the same boat.

All this being said, I am glad to hear that some cars (or drivers!) are competetive on stock shocks. That atleast gives me hope that the car *should* be somewhat competetive being that it has all the other mods for street class. Now I just need to continue my own improvements, as well as get some better tires (Kumho XS's that have a production date in 2008 are not exactly the stickiest or softest out there).
Old 11-01-2013, 10:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by austincrx
I'm not new to the sport, newer than some, but more experienced than others. I've been doing this for 9 years now. My beef is similar to alot of others' I have heard from: I really want to race, I really want to compete, but I can't afford to be competetive. It seems like that was one reason for creating the 'street' class in the first place. I know they made up some 'bs' about how the R-comps drastically change the handling charasteristics of the vehicle so that it isn't the same as a 'stock' vehicle. While that is all well and true in some cases, you have to realize that the RT classes grew for a reason, and they grew quickly. Maybe it was that the tires were cheaper, therefore the cost of running was cheaper. Maybe it was because some cars had an advantage and others didn't when on 'street' tires, it's all very individualized, but we all have to agree that there are probably a LOT of people at your local events that would be more attracted to the sport if there was a way for them to run competetively on a much smaller budget. It just so happens that I'm kind-a in the same boat.

All this being said, I am glad to hear that some cars (or drivers!) are competetive on stock shocks. That atleast gives me hope that the car *should* be somewhat competetive being that it has all the other mods for street class. Now I just need to continue my own improvements, as well as get some better tires (Kumho XS's that have a production date in 2008 are not exactly the stickiest or softest out there).
That's the awesome thing about street class. Get some good tires on there and a sway bar and you will be competitive. As long as whoever is winning your local region isn't the reigning national champ, you should be able to beat them even if their shocks are better than yours.

Maybe in the meantime you can start saving up cash for some konis or something so that eventually you can do that upgrade.

I think the best thing you can do in a lot of cases is get somebody really fast in your car. That will give you a great idea, no bs, of how fast your car is. Autocross is all about the driver generally. Even most national champions are leaving a decent amount of time out there. It's a little bit depressing actually when I go from my fully prepped for STR car with $$$ shocks and everything into a relative newbie's car with basically tires and that's it or maybe a sway bar and my times are really a lot closer than you'd think...
Old 11-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And custom valved shocks are not as necessary when you're on street tires because too stuff will shock the tires.

Take RTA / DS WRX. Most people run OTS Konis because nobody makes a good DA shock. There are still stock shock trophy winners in that class.

"Affording to be competitive" is often a matter of how crappy of a car you're willing to drive....

Plenty of ST* co-drives available at reasonable prices.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad to see stock getting back closer to actually stock cars, but they should just leave it at "All OEM equipment".
Old 11-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Former Moderator

The whole point was: "what do you do when your 12 year old 120,000 mile car needs new shocks and they've discontinued the model or OEM prices are just silly?"

Replacing worn OEM shocks with new ones costs more than the TC Kline DAs.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to mention that OEM shocks vary quite a bit so the guy who wants to spend $4k on street class could easily still spend $4k blueprinting a batch of OEM shocks and matching up the best ones and end up spending much more with much less to show for it.

And then since he can't do a cheap rebuild like you can with normal racing shocks, he'd end up having to do it again every year to keep things fresh.

The people who will spend anything at the very top will do so no matter what the rules are.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:23 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Interesting conversation.

I too am in the the AP1 street stock rim debate. So last night i spent many hours researching other rims.

GM has some 53 mm offset, 17x6.5 options, BUT, the bolt pattern is 5x115, not 5x114.3. Maybe grind out the bolt holes? maybe crash then?

i haven't found any great options...yet.

darcy
Old 11-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Former Moderator

Mazda wheels.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

believe the options were being covered in another thread dont think we ever got finished with that conversation. but yes mazda wheels.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by darcyw
GM has some 53 mm offset, 17x6.5 options, BUT, the bolt pattern is 5x115, not 5x114.3. Maybe grind out the bolt holes? maybe crash then?
That's... not a good idea.

Search for the right width and bolt pattern first. Offset if much more easily and safely fixed than bolt pattern.

Quick Reply: Stock class SCCA autocross rules/class changes 2014 & 2015