S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Stock class SCCA autocross rules/class changes 2014 & 2015

Old 03-17-2014, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iamxpL
believe the options were being covered in another thread dont think we ever got finished with that conversation. but yes mazda wheels.
Can you steer me to the other thread? From the 2-27-14 Solo Rules:
13.4WHEELS

Anytype wheel may be used provided it complies with the following:

A. Itis the same width as standard and as installed it does not have an offset morethan ±¼” (±6.35mm) from a standard wheel for the car. The resultant change intrack dimensions is allowed.

B.Wheel (rim) diameter may be increased or decreased 1” from the standard part.

So my AP1 will be allowed to run 1" bigger wheels (17"), but I have to keep the width the same. So, I need to find 17" x 6.5" wheels for the front and 17" x 7.5" for the rear. Anyone have a clue where to find those (TireRack and Discount, and a few others have none). Is this a customm wheel I'd need? And would it really be that beneficial, since the tire width I can do is based on the rim width.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:10 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

it the mazda 3 wheels. they are good for the fronts since they will be 17x6.5 and you can use AP2 front wheels as your rears. I may be wrong hopefully someone chimes in for you. have you explored just staying with your stock wheels and running the 225 square set up that most have done?
Old 03-17-2014, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it the mazda 3 wheels. they are good for the fronts since they will be 17x6.5 and you can use AP2 front wheels as your rears. I may be wrong hopefully someone chimes in for you. have you explored just staying with your stock wheels and running the 225 square set up that most have done?
AP2 fronts are 17x7 ... that won't work

-Marc
Old 03-17-2014, 11:21 AM
Community Organizer

^^ theres your answer. thats gonna be such an oddball size to look for. i know its a dead horse but let the AP1's run the Ap2 wheels!
Old 03-19-2014, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by ConeKiller2
FYI 2008 national champion Greg Hahn won on stock shocks and $200 saner bar! Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by CKit
How many jackets has he won since then? Times have changed a lot since.

competition has definitely gotten stiffer and the tuning of the s2000 has progressed quite a bit. in no way am i discrediting the man im sure he is a talented driver. but you dont wanna go into a gun fight with a knife.to the op, autocross can be as competitive as you want it to be or as fun as you want it to be. you just need to decide how much you want to participate.

Greg Hahn was the only guy in an s2000 CR in 2008. The fact the he won on stock shocks and a saner bar is a "little" misleading. Greg drove great though, and he deserves it, not to mention that I love Greg, and have gotten beers with him more than once in Lincoln. He is a talented driver with many years of experience.

With that in mind, the competitive landscape of SCCA Solo has changed alot since 2008, when I did my first ever autocross. Up to 2013, with some of the best drivers in all of SCCA Solo competing in BS and most other stock classes, you aren't winning on stock shocks. No Solo or Pro Solo championship has been won on stockers since then in BS. This also has to do with the fact that shock technology continues to improve, and the performance benefits continue to incremetally improve as well. As the talent pool deepens, the hardware beneath you becomes more a factor.

Now, this year the talent pool in the street classes is going to be signficantly lower than in previous years at nationals compared to normal stock classes. Not saying there won't be fast guys but there will be alot of guys that will win a jacket in their street class this year that would be mid packers in a class like SSR, STR/X/U and many of the prepared and modifed classes. There may very well be winners on stock shocks this year - but I doubt it. With time however, the street classes will begin to repopulate with top drivers, and more big $$$ setups, and it will return to "par for the course." Except now, instead of just buying a set or two of sticker Hoosiers for nats, you have to test 5 different tire brands to see what is fastest for your car, and what size is best, etc...
Old 03-19-2014, 11:26 AM

I realized recently that my Bstreet car will be more prepped than my Bstock car ever was.

Nick is right, things have changed quite a bit especially in the S2000 world. With all the time and testing put in by some of our fast guys, they've only gotten faster and faster.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Forcednduckshn
Except now, instead of just buying a set or two of sticker Hoosiers for nats, you have to test 5 different tire brands to see what is fastest for your car, and what size is best, etc...
yep, they made stock/street classes more expensive for those who compete seriously. sure, hoosiers are pricey, but it was a simple no brainer mod. now, add a gazillion different types of tires, shaving, mixed tire combo etc and prices will skyrocket over just bolting on hoosiers. a new street tire comes out? whammo more testing thus more $. and the car is slower= less fun. bolting on hoosiers made the car a supercar...

f'n stupid. all of this to satisfy the pu55ies who ran at the bottom of the class and who whined that hoosiers were too much $.

i liked beating STR, for a fraction of the $ with my midpack stock class car. now, STR is looking more like a viable option, but not while the car is a fair weather daily driver for the wife.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:07 AM
Community Organizer

^^ Chris , easy solution. buy the wife one =)
Old 03-20-2014, 07:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually disagree with some of the statements on the landscape changes for stock class. Big $$$ shocks have been around for a lot longer. Although maybe not as highly used as they are now. However there are some other factors that i think you guys are missing here on the shocks. First lets look at participation and depth of talent. I have owned s2000 since 2002 and have been to nationals twice in stock class and once in BSP. The class size has shrunk tremendously over the past 3 years. Look at the numbers

2003 60 (i was 52 of 60 with no co driver and no rains)
2004 49
2005 45
2006 50 Greg 10th I was 14th both trophied with fuel starve on day 1 and stock shocks/saner bar in my 2004
2007 60
2008 58 Greg won in his stock cr other than front saner bar
2009 57 Greg 2nd same setup as 2008
2010 52 Greg 10th in same setup cr, experienced ice mode on abs multiple times
2011 33
2012 25
2013 14

Now keep in mind the depth of talent. I am in no means implying that any of you who have ran the class cant drive. Just that the size and depth of class has significantly gone down which obviously will affect the level of competition. While i have been in the class we have had many great drivers and continue to have many great drivers although it seems many have moved to other classes mainly str. Also i do believe that most of the championships won in s2000 have all been on $$$ shocks and a few on $$ shocks such as koni or tck koni. The class has included drivers such as wynveen, saini, hahn, kozlak(non s2000), klinger, roberts(non S2000), collett, mchugh(non s2000), Mckee, Thompson(non s2000), Stewart, Sipe, Yom, Bauer, etc......

Sacha
86 BSP
Old 03-20-2014, 02:40 PM

^^ Chris , easy solution. buy the wife one =)
it is "hers". i had the cr and the 07 at the same time, for a few years, but it was expensive.

Quick Reply: Stock class SCCA autocross rules/class changes 2014 & 2015