Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Alpine Head Unit

Old 12-06-2013, 11:12 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Alpine Head Unit

I've been thinking of upgrading my head unit in the CR to something with a bit more sound quality and some flexibility with iPod, etc. I came across this one. I'm not sure if anyone has this unit in their vehicle? I've been reading the Electronic forums but there just seems to be some much information on so many choices. However, Alpine units seem to be the head unit of choice among many owners. So I've decided on an Alpine unit and that fact that the units merge well with the Modify DCI. It seems to have all the bells and whistles plus a tuning app for iPhones. Any experience and thoughts are welcome.

Alpine - CDE HD149BT
http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cde-hd149bt/

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hji1G3KMExU
Old 12-07-2013, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote name='s2k4life_az' timestamp='1386403958' post='22911706']
I've been thinking of upgrading my head unit in the CR to something with a bit more sound quality and some flexibility with iPod, etc. I came across this one. I'm not sure if anyone has this unit in their vehicle? I've been reading the Electronic forums but there just seems to be some much information on so many choices. However, Alpine units seem to be the head unit of choice among many owners. So I've decided on an Alpine unit and that fact that the units merge well with the Modify DCI. It seems to have all the bells and whistles plus a tuning app for iPhones. Any experience and thoughts are welcome.

I've never heard anyone with an Alpine complain about it I've always had the upper end Clarion Models but I think Alpines are probably better. That model you are getting looks pretty sweet and I'm sure it will sound nice. Are you using an aftermarket Amp or the one built into the Alpine ? I've found the biggest difference is the Amp your using.

Good luck!
Old 12-07-2013, 08:40 AM

I was not going to get an external amp. Lots of AZ members have told me that just getting a better head unit would probably give me a lot better sound given the higher amps. Maybe an amp down the line would be an option only of it could be taken in and out fairly easily to keep the weight of the CR down given track days, erc. Upgrading speakers would be higher on the list for me especially ones that are amplified.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Sony HU with the Modifry wired DCI. While it did cost come extra money I do not regret the DCI for a second.
Without it the dash buttons would be useless.

I did not touch the speakers and the sound is loud enough to hear over the exhaust with clarity.

I would also highly recommend getting a HU with bluetooth on it for audio. Plugging in your "ipod connection" is cool, but unnecessary.
The BT auto connects when you start the car and starts streaming audio off the phone without you doing anything.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:43 AM

The HD149BT has Bluetooth capability plus it also has an app that let's you tune the EQ functions from your cell. I'm sold on the Modifry DCI. I don't think there's another one in the market that would interface a easily as the DCI.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by s2k4life_az
I was not going to get an external amp. Lots of AZ members have told me that just getting a better head unit would probably give me a lot better sound given the higher amps. Maybe an amp down the line would be an option only of it could be taken in and out fairly easily to keep the weight of the CR down given track days, erc. Upgrading speakers would be higher on the list for me especially ones that are amplified.

I agree with your progression as that is what I did. I started out with swapping out the deck and getting some good component speakers. Then about 1 year later I upgraded the amp. Depending on what type of amp you get, it will make a big difference especially depending on how loud and clear you want it However if you have aftermarket exhaust then its going to be even more challenging. Sometimes I don't realize how loud I have the radio until the top goes up

But getting just a good deck will make a world of difference from the stock unit. I think that stock unit might the worst one I've ever heard in a car.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:07 PM

That's what I thought as well. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a nice alpine headunit sitting in my living room that was in my s2k. its an IDAx305S I really liked it, its all digital no cd player so no moving parts to break. I always kept it hooked up to a flash drive for music. it will stream pandora from your phone also its setup to do it. I have always been a fan of alpine equipment solid quality
Old 12-07-2013, 10:38 PM

Yeah I have has older Alpine HU's and CD changers in older cars. They worked well but were very expensive as they wee considered the top end systems.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:45 AM
gnk

Alpine definitely works with the Modifry DCI, but that isn't the only option. If you go to the Modifry website, you can see what brands of HU are compatible. I still haven't installed my Pioneer DEH-80PRS (overkill for my current application), but my plan was similar to yours. Start with HU only, then see if I need an amp for decent sound. I originally got a different interface, but then noticed that the Modifry DCI could be used with Pioneer (if you get the right Modifry version). It seemed like a better choice for ease of installation and keeping the steering wheel controls than the original one I had.
I haven't looked at your specific Alpine proposal, but here are things I looked for that were important to me:
Ability to play CDs
Ability to play CDRs encoded in either MP3 or AAC (not on all HUs)
Ability to play flash drives through USB (not on all HUs) encoded in either MP3 or AAC (not on all HUs)
Ability to charge IPOD or Android through USB (not on all HUs) - also control an app like Pandora that is on the phone
Blue tooth for either iPhone or Android
Aux input
Variable color display to match factory look - especially at night
Variable color display can be connected to headlight switch to change color scheme for day vs. night - for day, black letters on a colored background is more legible, for night, colored letters on a black background may be preferable.
Edit: also, if you might possibly do an amp, check the number of preouts and the voltage of the preouts. 4 or 5 V is better than 2.5 V.

Quick Reply: Alpine Head Unit