UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Car Care & Detailing

Old 03-28-2014, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Care & Detailing

Hi all, as many people have a lot of questions on the subject of detailing and care care these days, in terms of what are the best products to use and the best techniques etc. I thought I would start a thread to give some call and response to this

So, feel free to ask any questions you need answering, whether is the best product for a certain job, or what compound/polish should you use on your car, this can now be the place for your questions to be answered...

I will personally try to answer anything asked, but all of you feel free to post up your thoughts and suggestions as detailing products are constantly developing!
Old 03-28-2014, 08:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ooh I use

auto gleam shampoo,
maguires clay with water or maguirers detail spray
ag deep shine for dark colours polish.... dark blue on the label.
ag polish total trestment stuff.... red label on bottle
G1 wax

ag wheel cleaner
tutle wax tire shine

leathers get Renapur cleaner and then Renapur leather balsam.

Dash wipes are usually turtle wax for inside

glass gets elbow gease with cloth...

rubbers get shin etsu

carpets get the hoover

soft top gets ag soft top cleaner and protector.

Engine gets gt85.... brush and cloth maybe tooth brush if I have time!

Think that's all....

generally cleans up ok.... just a shame it has swirls and some scrapes.... :-(
Old 03-28-2014, 08:51 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

OK, I am shit at touching in stone chips, I am left with lots of tiny pimples where I have put too much paint on, is there any way to get rid of them without painting or anything extreme etc ?
Old 03-28-2014, 10:05 AM

The swirls are my biggest problem - I use a Porter Cable, a Sonus orange pad and the meguiars Dual Action cleaner polish, but there always seems to be swirls left.

Any suggestions as to what to use that will get shut of them? I don't have a garage or car port, so washing, claying and polishing all need to be able to be done same day?

Admittedly it'll have to wait until the summer, as the car's got a layer of Gtechniq c1 crystal lacquer and C2v3 on it...
Old 03-28-2014, 10:19 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

For me it's living in a hard water area - how do I not get water spots for those in-between washes ? Do I really have to buy a big fluffy towel and dab my car dry with it or are there better tips - like something I can add to a rinse
Old 03-28-2014, 02:26 PM
sjs

Benrnbp - Deionised water filter. Use it to get a couple of watering cans full of water and pour over the car slowly, no more spotting.

sound-Wave - The dual action cleaner will be too harsh, you will need a softer pad and a finishing polish to refine it better, try a compund like 3M ultrafina or menzerna super finish.

tozerman - have a read on wet sanding. The only way to get rid of the pimples properly is 2000 then 3000 grit wet sanding followed by machine polishing, it works well but go easy.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by tozerman
OK, I am shit at touching in stone chips, I am left with lots of tiny pimples where I have put too much paint on, is there any way to get rid of them without painting or anything extreme etc ?
Wet sand and machine polish out dude is really the only way to get that looking good
Check out ammo NYC's YouTube vid on stone chip repairs
You can get touch up applicators similar to what he uses on eBay for a couple of quid

Originally Posted by sound_wave
The swirls are my biggest problem - I use a Porter Cable, a Sonus orange pad and the meguiars Dual Action cleaner polish, but there always seems to be swirls left.

Any suggestions as to what to use that will get shut of them? I don't have a garage or car port, so washing, claying and polishing all need to be able to be done same day?

Admittedly it'll have to wait until the summer, as the car's got a layer of Gtechniq c1 crystal lacquer and C2v3 on it...
That's meguiars #83 right? with an orange pad that should remove all swirls, than followed up with something like #80 on a white pad should leave a perfect finish. Maybe it's technique? check out junkman on YouTube, I use his technique.

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
For me it's living in a hard water area - how do I not get water spots for those in-between washes ? Do I really have to buy a big fluffy towel and dab my car dry with it or are there better tips - like something I can add to a rinse
If your on about water spots from rain then a good sealant/and or wax should help to bead off most water before it gets chance to stain
Old 03-28-2014, 06:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. Langka. Used it for years. Needs a deft deft touch but works well.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BenRNBP

If you get the right jumbo microfiber, this ceases to become an issue. In terms of time a whole dry down is a few minutes.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:43 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/c...up-system.aspx

works for me.

Quick Reply: Car Care & Detailing