UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Car Care & Detailing

Old 05-22-2014, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsh
Well on the odd occasion I've cleaned my roof using G101 it tends to turn a bit grayer/lighter rather than darker .

G101 may have removed a bit of the colour

Having used both 303 and Renovo I still think AG Instant Tyre Dressing is better !!!!

I recently bought some Gyeon tire and ,while its the best stuff I've used so far for tyres a test area on the roof was a bit too shiny !
if you dilute it so it's quite strong that may well have been the case...

I cant say I've ever chosen to use a tyre dressing on the convertible roof's I've detailed, but if it's water based and does the job i cant see it ruining anything beyond repair. Still, wouldn't be my first choice
Old 05-22-2014, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by jsh
I have used some of the so called "nano" coatings in the past .Specifically Aquartz (before it became Cquartz) Cquartz,Wolfs Hardbody and the latest Bodyguard as well as P22 and Gyeon Prime and Mohs .

My interest in Crystal Serum is centered around the fact that ,from what i've read , it should be possible , rather than re-apply every 6 months (summer/winter prep) that any minor wash / dry marring would be in the coating rather than in the clearcoat thus preserving the clearcoat.

Being available to the trade only I cannot apply this myself so need to know if the additional cost is worth it as my clearcoat must be getting a bit thin by now

Also a bit nervous about my polishing efforts being scrutinized and ridiculed by a professional detailer
Okay, so you're familiar with how most of them work then, the Crystal Serum works in the same way, except it forms a harder layer as would GYEON MOHS+ when baked onto the paintwork to give you essentially another harder layer of clear coat to prevent swirls and scratches re-appearing.

These new coatings are designed to be applied as easily as possible, yet set as hard as possible and last a long as possible to give you the best finish and protection for your paintwork.

The reason for Gtechniq holding these coatings for the use of their accredited detailers only is to help support their own network of detailers (customers) and prevent amateurs from doing more harm than good to their own cars. You can always have 100% trust a professional detailer will look after your car as much if not more than you do yourself, because if any others are like me and how i work, my car is my pride and joy and the last thing person i would want to leave it with to make it look it's best is someone that doesn't really give your car the care and attention you give it yourself at least.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
For me it's living in a hard water area - how do I not get water spots for those in-between washes ? Do I really have to buy a big fluffy towel and dab my car dry with it or are there better tips - like something I can add to a rinse
Pop down to your local Dobbies, and purchase 'Greased Lightning' Showroom Shine, no need for any water ... I have used the Optimum product recommended earlier but the Showroom shine is superior in my opinion ... and no water required at all.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:49 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I missed you reply before S2k_nut - many thanks, I'll have a go with that when I finish my ONR.

I'm here for another question today though. I have some Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour left over from my, er, wheels and have a couple of chrome rocker covers on the boat Chevy V8 that I'm about to install. (you can see where this is going can't you?)

If I coat my rocker covers with C5 will it stand the heat/environment or should I just not bother 'cos it'll flake/change colour/make my hair fall out?
Old 04-23-2015, 09:49 AM

C5 is expensive if I recall, and you don't get a lot of it, I would save and use it for the car wheels. Chrome just needs polishing.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an area on my car that looks like its been hit by the gritting lorry. Clay barring has removed the grit but left
pinprick marks in the paint. Would Poorboys Black Hole fill these and is Monte Carlo Blue considered to be a dark
colour?
Thanks Eddie.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by prince buster
I have an area on my car that looks like its been hit by the gritting lorry. Clay barring has removed the grit but left
pinprick marks in the paint. Would Poorboys Black Hole fill these and is Monte Carlo Blue considered to be a dark
colour?
Thanks Eddie.
MCB is a dark colour but Poorboy's blackhole will not resolve a paint issue as you describe. Polishes/waxes/colours are not a permanent resolution to damaged paint. Get it fixed properly, whether that is wetsand/polish or paint (which I expect) but filling the gap with essentially 'boot polish' is not a fix.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:08 AM

Ey up, I suppose here is as good a place as any to ask this.

Is jag paint quite soft? or as I suspect my mother has been driving through a rainforest on the way to work judging by the scratches down the passenger side.

Car's only 6 month old, I wouldn't mind but I bought the bloody thing!

Now After I attack it with 3m compounds I have been recommended some carbon collective sealants. Anyone with any experience with these? Been told they offer a very hard protective layer.

Cheers

Tom
Old 04-25-2015, 02:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper
Originally Posted by prince buster' timestamp='1429827473' post='23589066
colour?
Thanks Eddie.
MCB is a dark colour but Poorboy's blackhole will not resolve a paint issue as you describe. Polishes/waxes/colours are not a permanent resolution to damaged paint. Get it fixed properly, whether that is wetsand/polish or paint (which I expect) but filling the gap with essentially 'boot polish' is not a fix.
I expected to repaint it but wondered if there were any modern quick fixes that would help disguise it for now.
Damage has gone down into primer so wetsand is out.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by prince buster
Originally Posted by cheshire_carper' timestamp='1429911570' post='23590355
[quote name='prince buster' timestamp='1429827473' post='23589066']
colour?
Thanks Eddie.
I expected to repaint it but wondered if there were any modern quick fixes that would help disguise it for now.
Damage has gone down into primer so wetsand is out.
[/quote]

It will mask it but PB BH is very temporary and imo not that good. I wouldn't bother. If you simply must, the turtle wax black box from halfords will achieve the same, temp aim.

I'd concentrate on the fix more than the mask.