New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Where can I track my stock S2000 in NE?

Old 03-31-2014, 05:18 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Where can I track my stock S2000 in NE?

I have heard of many different things regarding different tracks and groups. Some say the S2000 has the correct roll over pertection stock, others say you need a roll bar, some say you need to pass the broomstick test.

So what is the straight answer? I am 6.0, with a helmet, my head sticks above the factory roll hoops by a couple of inches. I want to track my stock S2000 without adding a roll bar. I am looking for a beginner event at any road course in NE/NY.

Where can I go???
Old 03-31-2014, 06:32 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
I have heard of many different things regarding different tracks and groups. Some say the S2000 has the correct roll over pertection stock, others say you need a roll bar, some say you need to pass the broomstick test.

So what is the straight answer? I am 6.0, with a helmet, my head sticks above the factory roll hoops by a couple of inches. I want to track my stock S2000 without adding a roll bar. I am looking for a beginner event at any road course in NE/NY.

Where can I go???

Good Grief! I know that it is troublesome and confusing. But ...

I run a stock S2000. Short advice: Get in the car and put on your helmet. Borrow one if you have to. Can you fit under there with the top up? If not, try sliding your seat forward a click or two and recline the seat back. If that doesn't work, try getting a Buddy Seat Rail, as it will lower you maybe 2/3 of an inch. As a novice you will have an instructor, so he too will need to fit under the top.

In any event, the stock S2000 is OK with SCDA and NASA-NE. See the Upstate, NY 2014 Track Day thread, post 1, for the schedule. I've listed all of the stock S2000 friendly events. They still have a "broomstick test", but so far, I don't know of anyone who was sent home. In 2011, I was running top down at Watkins Glen. Track officials called down and I was black flagged for sitting too tall. Photos showed the top of my helmet about 2 inches above the hoops. SCDA had me adjust my seat and put the top up, and I went back out. I've run that way since and never had any problems.

Aashish & I ran at Lime Rock on Saturday with NASA-NE. We wished a few more S2000s were running. Hope to see you out there.

Aashish has Laguna with the factor hardtop. I'm running a rag top, stock hoops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GdY4Y9g-dI
Old 03-31-2014, 06:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How many times do I have to post that SCDA and NASA-NE take a stock S2000 at any New England track. I have been saying it for 4 years now. Just find an event on SCDA1.com or NASA Northeast that work for your schedule, then show up!

Source: I drove my stock S2000 on Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, and NHMS like this for years.

-Mike
Old 03-31-2014, 07:21 AM

You have to post it a lot. If you go on SCDA website, it specifically says cars like the S2000 require a roll bar.

I have searched for some time. The information out there can be confusing.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2014, 07:45 AM

I agree that the information is confusing. That is how I ended up buying the MGA race car - back when Hard Dog was not selling the drop in roll bar. Sign up with SCDA or NASA-NE. It is very, very unlikely that you will have a problem, provided that you run top up.

I believe the S2000 and maybe the the Boxter are the only convertibles allowed without a supplemental roll bar by SCDA and NASA-NE. Miata is a no-go.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:54 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Come to Watkins glen with us in July. You will not be able to figure out the standards of each group and the difference between what they say and actually do until you have run with them.

If you plan to make a habit of it then defiinitely start thinking roll bar. If you are thinking about doing it just once to cross off a bucket list item then go ahead and sign up with NASA NE or SCDA.

Daktruckie is one of the NE track regulars and he has been repeating himself for a while so bound to feel a bit annoyed. Don't read much into it. Just sign up with either NASA NE or SCDA , you should have no problem. I know I never did.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:44 AM

Thanks guys. If I am bit with the bug and start going often, maybe a roll bar is in the future.

I would like to see if its for me before making the commitment.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2014, 12:32 PM

Do you have red blood flowing through your veins?

It's a hoot. You'll love it.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you put a rollbar in the car you can run with COM Sports Car Club. We do a weekend event at various roadracing tracks throughout the northeast and Canada. Sat is a school with instructors and sun is a time trial. More info go to comscc.org. I've run with them for 30+ years!
Old 03-31-2014, 05:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
You have to post it a lot. If you go on SCDA website, it specifically says cars like the S2000 require a roll bar.

I have searched for some time. The information out there can be confusing.

Thanks
Did you find something other than this quote? "Convertibles are required to have a roll bar and/or factory hard top"

The S2000 has factory rollover protection behind each seat. Some convertibles do NOT have this. Don't mistake "roll bar" for "aftermarket rollover protection"

-Mike

Quick Reply: Where can I track my stock S2000 in NE?