S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Drive Train Slop. How much is normal?

Old 04-01-2014, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Train Slop. How much is normal?

Scenario: I'm in 3rd gear going about 25mph through a long parking lot. I hear what sounds like a bad bearing somewhere in my trans or diff (it's relatively quiet, I can't hear it with my top down). When I tap the gas and quickly get off of it, I notice a considerable amount of what I'm guessing is drive train slop or backlash. It's very audible, and I'm just wondering what is normal. I can post a video soon if that would help.

My mechanic tried to explain to me that the transmission was noisy because of "how tightly they manufactured them" which seems counter-intuitive to me. I would assume if it was tightly manufactured, it would be quieter if anything. However, I keep finding evidence that my car was modified by the previous owner, so who knows of the drive train was treated.

I'm getting slightly off topic. Is there supposed to be a noticeable amount of slop/backlash in these drive trains, or could this be due to abuse and failing components?
Thank you.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:11 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

It's it just a noise bothering you? Did it just start? Compare to another s2k?

This may not help you but, did you change your fluid? I found that quiets things down. Also, check under the shift boot for the foam piece, if its missing that will emit more noise. Also, you could listen from the underside on jack stands to help pinpoint
Old 04-02-2014, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by starchland
It's it just a noise bothering you? Did it just start? Compare to another s2k?

This may not help you but, did you change your fluid? I found that quiets things down. Also, check under the shift boot for the foam piece, if its missing that will emit more noise. Also, you could listen from the underside on jack stands to help pinpoint
I appreciate the response. I haven't had the opportunity to compare with another s2k yet, but I'm trying to find a local meetup to do that. At this point, the noise is just bothering me because it doesn't sound healthy. As this is my daily driver, and soon to be only car, I just don't want something sneaking up on me that might have been less expensive to fix earlier on.

I did recently change the oil, trans fluid and diff fluid. I'll have to check under the shift boot to see if the foam piece is there. It's quiet enough that I don't notice it when the top is down, but it's very amplified when the top is up (only after the car has had ample time to warm up). I would try to listen while up on jacks, but it only makes the noise when the engine is under load in gear. I've heard explanations ranging from bad throwout bearing, bad input shaft bearing, blown gears, failing diff, to "that's just the noise these make". And everyone who suggests something is almost positive it would be that. Thus my frustration.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:56 AM

This is the exact same issue I have on an 09 with just 16K miles. Are they all like this. If i prod the throttle in 1st or 2nd gear at just 1000 rpm's the 'chunter' type of backlash sound is most noticeable. Interestingly my old 1994 Miata (with torsen) used to make a similar noise.

Can someone tell me is this normal?
Old 10-01-2014, 12:04 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

To an extent, these cars have relatively HUGE intake ports so they don't have the best throttle response at low rpms.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:13 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

" I did recently change the oil, trans fluid and diff fluid. "

What tranny oil and gear lube did you use? I recently changed both in my '07. I went to Royal Purple Synchromax (tranny) and 75W-90 (rear end). Car has less gear noise on deceleration. And a more positive feel to the shifts, esp downshifting. Maybe worth a try, before going to major diagnostics.

http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-S...smission+fluid

http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-P...5W-90+gear+oil