S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

3M Paint Defender Application and Review

Old 05-10-2014, 08:41 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts
Default 3M Paint Defender Application and Review

I have used 3M products for over 12 years- i have been a big proponent of the 3M Paint Protection Film and used the first gen stuff on the leading edge of my civic's hood. As recently as a few years ago, a friend told me of development work being done on a spray on protection film. Once it became commercially available, i had to try it. It was released in Canada about 4 weeks before RTD 2014.

Here is my story.

First wash the car and allow it to dry. I then used the special wax in the kit- this is a critical step so the film removes easily when its worn.

Second, mask everything that you don't want to get hit with the spray film. This took about 2 hours with the longest time spent on the bumper cut outs. I used 3M tape with the plastic film already attached. You create the first line of tape, then tape over the leading edge of that.

Name:  IMG_0675_zps905f857b.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  40.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0676_zps4e28ad30.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  45.3 KB

Shake the can up real good. Follow the instructions closely for application paying attention to the spray time- one foot of spray coverage every 2 seconds. work on only 1/2 of the hood to start. Go side to side to fully cover, then up and down, then side to side again.

The film will be a milky white colour with an orange peel surface reflection.

Name:  IMG_0677_zps29592391.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  30.7 KB

do the other half with the same technique. DO NOT STOP SPRAYING ONCE YOU START EACH HALF. once entirely sprayed down, remove your leading tape edge. I had some trouble with removing the finicky parts around the bumper cutouts and i accidentally dragged the tape across the wet film. It will leave a slash mark through the film. I ended up shooting the slashed areas with a little extra spray film.

here is an area i accidentally touched the wet film. The film is somewhat amorphous when its wet and these spots will fill in on their own.

Name:  IMG_0683_zps889168fe.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  29.7 KB

after it cured, this is what it looked like.

Name:  IMG_0687_zps670dc00c.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  26.9 KB

As it dries, it will develop inconsistent runs/waves.

Name:  IMG_0684_zps1e002c2d.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  17.2 KB

This shot shows the film very nearly dry, except for the thicker material in the runs.

any runs will cause a thicker area of the protective film. for these vertical surfaces, it will be near impossible to not get these inconsistencies. It does not affect the performance of the film.

Name:  IMG_0696_zpsdcc3cbe8.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  22.1 KB

Once the film dries, the rest of the tape can be removed. I put the car in the direct sun to help speed the curing process. Once cured, the film can be gently washed and waxed- it shines like paint and looks nearly invisible apart from the tape line. During the trip, we washed the cars at a DIY car wash- i was just cautious with shooting the film directly with the high pressure wash.

Name:  IMG_0686_zpsd977c97b.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  38.3 KB

After 2500 miles of driving last year, my lower lip was pock marked and the paint chips made the lower lip look like the milky way. this year was a another story. Definitely fewer chips.

I am impressed with this product and give it my full recommendation. 2 cans covered the leading edge of my hood, the entire front bumper, front fenders, and mirrors. I even did the mirrors as an afterthought and even still, the can did not clog. It has very low VOC's and a mask is not needed, although i used one anyway.

darcy
Old 05-10-2014, 10:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely a neat product. The actual paint on your front lip - is it chipped, or is the 3M product just chipped away?
Old 05-11-2014, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kenshyn
Definitely a neat product. The actual paint on your front lip - is it chipped, or is the 3M product just chipped away?
tough to say. it could just be an impact spot.

darcy
Old 05-12-2014, 05:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How easily does the film come off if you changed your mind?

Not a big fan of the way it runs, but that is to be expected when not spraying on a tacky surface.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by DrakeValle
How easily does the film come off if you changed your mind?

Not a big fan of the way it runs, but that is to be expected when not spraying on a tacky surface.
since i autocross, i'll leave it on until it falls off- protect the paint from cone smudges and the like. Provided the special wax is used, i've been assured it comes off easy, breezy.

I thought the runs would bug me, but i'd rather them than chips. I think if i did it again, i would go a little lighter with the spraying.

darcy
Old 05-13-2014, 06:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Intresting product. If you can get chance, i'd like to see the top of the hood between the non-protected vs protected.

Also, does it only run like that on vertical surfaces or everywhere?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be interested to hear from how long this lasts & how it holds up in the sun.

What kind of wax can be applied?

Old 05-14-2014, 01:05 PM

any horizontal surface will not run like the bumper did. On my leading hood edge there is a very small thickness difference- but it is a consistent difference- ie. no actual drip type runs like on the lip.. The hood is excellent with no new paint chips etc.

The wax I used prior to application came with the kit- it is the most important step- don't use your favourite wax, use 3M's. I had enough left over to wax the surface after it had cured. It can be washed and waxed as normal after curing for 4-7 days. Mine cured in 4.

darcy
Old 05-14-2014, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally a very clear review. Might do it on my front end once its back from the body shop. I will probably take the bumper off for cleaner application and no runs hopefully. Thank you very much for spending the time to do the review
Old 05-15-2014, 09:34 AM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

I've been meaning to do this. I'll have my bumper off this weekend installing the brake ducts. It might be a good time to hit the bumper while it's off.

Quick Reply: 3M Paint Defender Application and Review