S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

3M Paint Defender Application and Review

Old 05-15-2014, 08:06 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
I've been meaning to do this. I'll have my bumper off this weekend installing the brake ducts. It might be a good time to hit the bumper while it's off.
great idea as you can keep the bumper more horizontal and hopefully prevent the runs i got…runs on the bumper.

darcy
Old 05-20-2014, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was 1 can of spray enough for you?
Old 05-20-2014, 01:02 PM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by tsuyoshi
was 1 can of spray enough for you?

Directly from the original post...

I am impressed with this product and give it my full recommendation. 2 cans covered the leading edge of my hood, the entire front bumper, front fenders, and mirrors. I even did the mirrors as an afterthought and even still, the can did not clog. It has very low VOC's and a mask is not needed, although i used one anyway.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Highly recommend having a garage to do this. I did this outside, came out horribly awfully wrong, I am stopping by my friends shop at Honda where he'll provide me with some of the tools/chemicals to take it off

I had gotten my front bumper resprayed with high quality paint from Honda and wanted to protect it from rock chips, I am now content on having it 3m wrapped instead of the spray.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Grip Hrd
Highly recommend having a garage to do this. I did this outside, came out horribly awfully wrong, I am stopping by my friends shop at Honda where he'll provide me with some of the tools/chemicals to take it off

I had gotten my front bumper resprayed with high quality paint from Honda and wanted to protect it from rock chips, I am now content on having it 3m wrapped instead of the spray.
remember to wait for the paint to fully cure before applying 3M clear bra or the paint defender. They recommend 30 days cure time before application.

yes, garage application is best, out of the sun and contaminants in the air.

darcy
Old 05-29-2014, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darcy, would you recommend doing this in two coats instead of just one?
I am guessing cause of the clear nature of the product, you wouldn't just be able to apply coat after coat of this stuff?

I found with plasti dip that if you over spray then you get the runs/waves also. But if you apply a lot of thin coats it's comes out much better.
Has anyone tried applying two coats?
Old 05-29-2014, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Holeecow
Darcy, would you recommend doing this in two coats instead of just one?
I am guessing cause of the clear nature of the product, you wouldn't just be able to apply coat after coat of this stuff?

I found with plasti dip that if you over spray then you get the runs/waves also. But if you apply a lot of thin coats it's comes out much better.
Has anyone tried applying two coats?
3M's directions are very clear- long, but clear. It specifically states to do 3 coats, non stop, with parallel, overlapping application in first the longitudinal direction, then the cross direction, then the longitudinal direction, on 1/2 first. Then repeat on the other 1/2.

good luck.

darcy
Old 06-04-2014, 11:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used this product about a year ago..this is just my opinion:

Pros: it did protect my bumper/hood from rock chips which is really its only purpose, not that noticeable if applied correctly

Cons: My car sits outside and even though i use a really good car cover, the film seemed to develop mold spots under it. there were a lot of them after about 6 months of use and they were very noticeable. Also, and most likley since the car sits outside, over time the film i guess began to fade making it much more noticeable on the car than when i first applied. And finally, I actually pride myself on how clean and waxed i keep my car, again, since it sits outside i dont want the paint to fade so im always cleaning it. I also used the recommended wax prior to applying this product and when i went to remove the film, it literally peeled off in tiny bits. Took me WEEKS to get all of it off. really a big pain in the ass

Overall, I wouldnt use it again and instead would just buy a leather bra for long road trips/track use where rock chips are damn near assured to happen
Old 04-26-2015, 05:40 PM

After talking to my 3M friend, he let me know that the 3M spray on PPF is being discontinued. Whatever stock is available nation wide will be the last. For the Canadians, 3M has a one year stock for Canadian Tire.

The reason, he said, is it hasn't been selling as well as hoped. He says, its a "little too DiY."

For the most part, I've had good success with the product and with proper use, has a place. At this point, my plan is to install the semipermanent PPF from 3M.

darcy