S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

New Hertz Component Speakers, custom tweeter install!

Old 05-21-2014, 07:04 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default New Hertz Component Speakers, custom tweeter install!

So I installed a set of Hertz DSK165 components into my 2000 S2k. I struggled with the tweeter mounting location for some time and came up with this solution. First some background.

I used DSK 165s on my Honda Ridgeline with great results. I chose them because of quality, value and efficiency. If you do some research you will find they offer good value for the money. To install the woofers I had to remove the oem speaker basket and mounting point. The size of the speaker will not allow use of the OEM basket even with significant cutting. It just made more sense to use a 1/2 speaker spacer on top of dynomat around the speaker hole. I drilled new holes. The crossover was mounted in the door and I tapped into the factory wiring.

Regarding the tweeter I knew I wanted to keep them in the door to avoid excessive wiring through the dash. I was originally going to flush mount them in the oem (02+) location. I didn't like that idea, because the inconsistency of the door panels. They would not fire in the same direction. Also the mounting surface would not be flat, so the install may not look clean. Then I though low on the door panel by the handles, but I was afraid of burying them too low and it not being much better than stock.

Once I had the speakers, I switched gears and decided not to flush mount. The idea of cutting a 1.5" hole in my door panels did not appeal to me. The tweeter pod that came with the speakers looked like a good option. I decided to use the pod in the lower location firing up and across. They are mounted low but they both fire to about the roll hoop on the opposite side. See pics

So as far as sound:

My system was completely stock before this and I am running the factory HU, for now. The improvement over stock is remarkable, but one would expect that. First, they are way louder than stock, even with just this change I can hear the music much easier. I would guess that has to do with the high efficiency. The SQ is considerably better and so is the imaging. But compared to my Ridgeline, which has factory tweeter locations in the dash firing up, the imaging is not as good. The tweeters in the S2k can sound overly bright, especially on the drivers side and the sound stage is a little too low.

Now I was able to compensate for that by backing down the treble and fading the speakers to the passenger side. Using the direction nature of those frequencies I was able to move the sound stage up a little. It sounds as if those frequencies are coming from the center dash just above the shifter. Still too low, but miles better than stock.

So overall I am very happy. A dash mount would have been better for imaging but I was able to cheat it enough by having the tweeters firing up. Considering the wiring was simple and I only drilled very small holes in my door panels, I think it was the right move.

If you want simple and way better that stock, I would recommend this.

If you the best SQ and imagining, I would pillar or dash mount.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job!

Interesting place to mount them, never thought of that placement.

I mounted mine here (holesaw'd it)

They don't look too flush here but when I mounted them in the car they look stock and you'd never know the difference.

The great thing was that I took out slightly more material than needed (after this pic was taken) so they sat a little further back which created a slight indentation around the tweeter mount.

New Hertz Component Speakers, custom tweeter install!-0qpd9dx.jpg
Old 05-22-2014, 10:30 AM

Those look good! That was the first plan. I chickened out cutting the hole on the panel. Actually I can easily remount them. There is only a small slit in the leather I can easily repair.

I still think flush mount looks best, but I am happy with the way mine came out.

How do they sound? Not too many people use Hertz in the states. I think they are a great value.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
Those look good! That was the first plan. I chickened out cutting the hole on the panel. Actually I can easily remount them. There is only a small slit in the leather I can easily repair.

I still think flush mount looks best, but I am happy with the way mine came out.

How do they sound? Not too many people use Hertz in the states. I think they are a great value.
Yeah they sound great, I have some grounding issues at the moment with my head unit so I can't truly attest to their sound quality however.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:50 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Very nice install, Apex1.0. It looks fantastic!
Old 11-29-2015, 11:13 PM

Do you have any photos of the work you did to install the 6.5s? I am also considering the Hertz in my AP1.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:10 PM

I needed .5" spacer, drilled into the door. No issues. I also used dynamat under the speaker mount and around the door.