Oregon S2000 Owners The Club forum for S2000 Owners in Oregon and SW Washington.

Any good roads between Bend and Crater Lake?

Old 07-14-2014, 09:49 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Any good roads between Bend and Crater Lake?

Hey all,

I'm going camping this week with my girlfriend and her family at Cultas Lake near Bend. I got the idea to visit Crater Lake on the way back since I've never seen it before. I plan on proposing to her while we are there as well. She absolutely adores going on rides through twisty roads with me, so I thought I'd try to find some good ones on the way.

Thanks for the help fellas.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that is absolutely awesome, I assume she doesn't check the forums then otherwise it might not be a surprise.

I went to Crater Lake back once in 2008, but if I lived down in Oregon I would have do do it annually. From what I remember it was a great drive though in and out of the Crater Lake area, best of luck and have fun!
Old 07-14-2014, 11:12 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Depending on the route you want to go there are several! From Bend to Crater Lake there arent many options though...

Here would be my thoughts:

On your way to Bend:
1) Come down I-5 to Eugene. Take the 195B (I think? might be A) exit and follow MLK JR out to Hayden Bridge, then to Marcola, then Camp Creek Rd. Very fun little back road that lets you skip most of Eugene and dumps you out in Walterville on Hwy 126. Then follow 126 up and take the old McKenzie Hwy (242) into Sisters. Our own little Tail of the Dragon. SUPER twisty and lots of switchbacks. Also nice because you see the foliage change from deciduous to evergreen as you come over the pass. deep green fades to lava flow and then sagebrush and pine. From Sisters, you go into Bend and out to Cultus Lake on the Cascade Lakes Hwy.

2) When you head out to Crater Lake, you can continue all the way to the end of the Cascade Lakes Hwy which dumps onto Hwy 58. You take that back to Hwy 97 and then out to Hwy 138 (terrible road..it's so straight and goes forever!!!!) which takes you to the junction of 230, which you take to the entrance to Crater Lake on 62 where you can then drive the rim.

3) On your way back, you can backtrack on 62->230->138 and follow 138 all the way out to Roseburg/I-5 again. Decently good highway
-or-
Backtrack all the way to 97 and then to 58 and start following it. Once you get to Oakridge/Westfir you can turn off and follow "The Aufderheide" which takes you up to Cougar Reservoir on an incredible back-country road and puts you out on Hwy 126 again.

Just depends on how much driving you want to do.

I'd be happy to provide routing info if you need it.
If you have time, let me know and we can do lunch or something
Old 07-14-2014, 11:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sabre
Depending on the route you want to go there are several! From Bend to Crater Lake there arent many options though...

Here would be my thoughts:

On your way to Bend:
1) Come down I-5 to Eugene. Take the 195B (I think? might be A) exit and follow MLK JR out to Hayden Bridge, then to Marcola, then Camp Creek Rd. Very fun little back road that lets you skip most of Eugene and dumps you out in Walterville on Hwy 126. Then follow 126 up and take the old McKenzie Hwy (242) into Sisters. Our own little Tail of the Dragon. SUPER twisty and lots of switchbacks. Also nice because you see the foliage change from deciduous to evergreen as you come over the pass. deep green fades to lava flow and then sagebrush and pine. From Sisters, you go into Bend and out to Cultus Lake on the Cascade Lakes Hwy.

2) When you head out to Crater Lake, you can continue all the way to the end of the Cascade Lakes Hwy which dumps onto Hwy 58. You take that back to Hwy 97 and then out to Hwy 138 (terrible road..it's so straight and goes forever!!!!) which takes you to the junction of 230, which you take to the entrance to Crater Lake on 62 where you can then drive the rim.

3) On your way back, you can backtrack on 62->230->138 and follow 138 all the way out to Roseburg/I-5 again. Decently good highway
-or-
Backtrack all the way to 97 and then to 58 and start following it. Once you get to Oakridge/Westfir you can turn off and follow "The Aufderheide" which takes you up to Cougar Reservoir on an incredible back-country road and puts you out on Hwy 126 again.

Just depends on how much driving you want to do.

I'd be happy to provide routing info if you need it.
If you have time, let me know and we can do lunch or something
Wow, thanks for all those options! Judging from how awesome it sounds, I think I'm going to take her to Crater tomorrow morning and go with option 1. That way she'll have a shiny new ring on her finger to show the family.

I'm not sure what your schedule is like, but I'll be in Bend from tomorrow afternoon until Saturday morning. If you want to meet up at some point, that'd be great! It'll give me a break from the future in-laws

If you can give me the routing info for option 1, that'd be super helpful!

Thanks again!
Old 07-14-2014, 02:08 PM
Community Organizer

I'll PM you info tonight
Old 07-14-2014, 04:04 PM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Do it!
Old 07-15-2014, 07:09 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Definitely do that. I'm in Medford (for now), so Crater Lake is only an hour away, it's a great drive. You'll enjoy it.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:34 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Was thinking the other day a sticky for good driving roads with links to google maps would be a good idea?

I've been on quite a few lately in the PDX area which would be worthy of sharing.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:15 PM
Community Organizer

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/755...gested-drives/

Doesn't use Gmaps but covers the same concept
Old 07-16-2014, 02:56 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, but no one can respond to that thread, and that appears to be more of a 'group drive' topic, rather than a fun roads thread.

Quick Reply: Any good roads between Bend and Crater Lake?