Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

New Car

Old 08-16-2014, 10:00 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts
Default New Car

As some of you know, I've been looking for a new sports car since I sold my beloved, pristine 2008 Grand Prix White (with red/black interior) S2000 late last summer. I loved the car but was ready for something a little more refined (roads here are horrible), powerful and probably fixed roof (allergies have also been bad). My initial preferences were a Porsche 911 Carrera S (997.2 - 2009+ model), Porsche Cayman S (981 - 2014+ model) or possibly a new Corvette (C7 Z51 - 2014+ model).

Finding a clean 997.2S proved to be quite difficult without paying $80K+ (was trying to stay under $70K), as did a 981S (very few of those for sale in Canada, especially with a 6MT). I couldn't even get a test drive in a C7 (Z51 or otherwise) as they were all pre-sold locally or else they weren't allowing test drives at all.

I kept an eye out online for interesting cars but was resigned to waiting until next year to buy a car when I saw a clean 2008 BMW Z4 M coupe at a local dealership. Low miles (17K), genuine CSL wheels, dark grey, clean and good history. The price was very good and so I mentioned it to my wife. She thought it was a neat car and said, "It's half what you were looking to spend. Just go drive it! If you like it, buy it. If you don't, you're no worse off." So I set up a test drive.

Initial impressions were strong. A big, meaty steering wheel attached to a hydraulic rack, a torquey straight-six engine and a big redline made it a car that had most of what I'd been looking for. The ride was better than the S2000 but grip and handling were very similar. Acceleration was clearly better and the sound from that straight six had a moderately beefy tone that developed into a sonorous howl at higher rpm. I was smitten. I had to have it!

Unfortunately, I couldn't come to a price agreement with the dealership. I knew what the market value was and wasn't willing to pay more, despite the option list (expensive CSL wheels, especially). I walked away, tired of their games ("We have a guy coming in tomorrow with his wife that will definitely buy it!") and decided to wait them out. Sure enough, they came back two days later saying they still had the car....but wouldn't budge on price.

I decided to look elsewhere online and found what appeared to be a clean 2008 model with standard Z4M wheels, slightly higher miles (just under 23K) but privately owned by an enthusiast. I made arrangements to test drive and inspect it. The online ad was fairly sparse on details and, in this case, I was pleasantly surprised by what was omitted from the ad.

The car had nearly 3 years of remaining bumper-to-bumper CPO warranty that the owner had extended when he bought the car a year prior! It also had a two years of wheel/tire warranty left and had already had some major work done (valve adjustment, new rear shocks, new lighting controls, new tires). The car was six years old and still had factory warranty - I was sold. We made a deal on the spot and the car was mine (as of a week ago).

Initial driving impressions were very strong. This car reminds me of a Corvette and an S2000 having a love child, with the best of both cars coming out in the baby. The car has an 8000 rpm redline, so you get a nice top-end pull. However, it also makes 90% of max torque at 2000 rpm so it is very flexible around town. The car is rated at 330 hp and 262 lb-ft of torque, so roughly 90 hp more than an S2000 but a full 100 lb-ft more torque (very low in the rev range, comparatively). With the stock ITBs and VANOS valve timing, the car has amazing throttle response and tractability, far superior than the VTEC system in the S2000. The car pulls hard throughout the rev range (especially from 3500 rpm onward) and does pull harder at the top but not nearly so obviously as the S2000.

Steering is hydraulic (vs electric in the base Z4s) and quite quick with a 14.7:1 ratio (vs 14.9:1 in the AP2 S2000s I owned). General feel is quite good and the steering gets better the faster you go. The steering wheel is very thick and nicely padded (with contrasting red, dark blue and light blue M stitching), providing great feel for the driver. Turn-in is not as quick as the S2000 (blame it on the weight) but far better than any Vette I've driven, including the C7. It's a nice compromise that leads to better long-distance driving relaxation.

The "weak point" of the car is definitely the transmission/clutch combination. When cold, the transmission is horrible - hard to shift, clunky and just a chore. Once warmed up, however, it's decent but still somewhat notchy and tough to shift well. Ironically, a buddy of mine bought a new C7 and I drove that today and its clutch and shifter were 100% better than the Z4M. The S2000 is far easier to shift and way smoother than either of them. The Z4M clutch, on the other hand, was a nightmare due to the intrusive clutch delay valve that comes with the car. It took me a solid week of driving before I felt I had generally mastered the clutch and now it's fairly unnoticeable. It is easy to remove and I may do that over the winter, when the car is in storage.

The brakes are amazingly powerful and fairly immediate. The pedal is firm and hits quickly, which takes some getting used to but is my preference (I don't like to have to bury my foot to get max braking power). Heel/toeing is excellent thanks to perfectly spaced pedals. That said, the throttle requires a very heavy foot to get the revs up when downshifting. Alternatively, you can hit the "SPORT" button and it gives much better response...usually with a penalty when shifting up. SPORT mode is otherwise useless, serving to make shifting jerky and unpredictable due to the throttle becoming hypersensitive.

Size-wise, the car is an inch shorter and roughly an inch wider than an S2000 but weighs nearly 450 lbs more, at just around 3300 lbs. It has perfect 50/50 weight distribution as well. However, you sit quite far back, leading to a feeling that you're following the car, rather than pivoting with the car. It was an easy transition to me, since the S2000 also has a fairly long nose, but it's definitely more obvious in the Z4M. The car has a ton of interior room with oodles of adjustment for the seats (fore/aft and up/down), on both sides. Leg room is great, both in length and width. I did a few hours on the highway and found it to be very comfortable. The seats aren't as aggressive as the S2000 but are more suited for daily driving. Damping is quite good (slightly overdamped, I think) but the shocks are set nicely and the car corners quite flat.

In terms of build quality and features, the car is all that I could ever really need. Electrically adjustable memory heated seats, bluetooth, big stereo (I'm no audiophile - I know it's better than the S2000 and that's about it), power folding mirrors, TWO cup holders on either side of the car and self-leveling HID headlights (low and high beam!) make it much more luxurious than the S2000. The car is very solidly built - the doors give a solid "thunk" and the interior is finished very well. While somewhat spartan, I like the analog feel to the interior - basic gauges in front of you (tach and speedometer) with a stereo with basic hand controls and a comprehensive but simple HVAC system. It's simple but functional. My car has the carbon trim package, rather than wood or aluminum, and that's fine by me. Somewhat austere but easy to keep clean as well! Leather is in great shape and shows no cracking or even minor wear, despite 23K miles on the odometer. It still smells new as well.

What about the looks? Honestly, it's not the prettiest car in the world but it's different and it's growing on me. Everyone that sees it asks what it is and really likes it, so it seems to resonate with most people. It's not as pretty as a new Cayman or even the S2000, in my opinion, but the long hood and short rear are classic sports car traits. I don't know that I'll ever love the looks but I definitely appreciate the details. My wife loves it - after we drove the first one she said, "We see Porsches all the time - we never see these. Just get this one."

As mentioned earlier, I drove a friend's C7 today and really loved most of it. His is a base model convertible with 7MT and sport exhaust. The car is easy to shift, the clutch is very light for such a powerful car and it accelerates as fast as most of us could ever want. It's light on its feet and absorbs bumps quite well. Steering is far improved over the C6 but still a bit too light for my taste. The base suspension, while comfortable and capable, is a little too isolated for my taste. Interior build quality was great and the overall look of the car continues to grow on me. It sounds amazing and definitely offers huge bang for the buck. I can definitely see myself getting one in the near future but for now, I think I'll keep the BMW for a couple of years, sell it for what I paid (with a year of warranty still left) and then move on to one of the cars I initially wanted.

I took a few shots of the car yesterday and today, which I uploaded below.

Profile view

Z4MCoupe_FirstWeek-1 by Jo_Da_Cu, on Flickr

Engine bay

Z4MCoupe_FirstWeek-13 by Jo_Da_Cu, on Flickr

Kick plates in the front door sills

Z4MCoupe_FirstWeek-12 by Jo_Da_Cu, on Flickr

Interior shot

Z4MCoupe_FirstWeek-15 by Jo_Da_Cu, on Flickr

Front wheel/brake details

Z4MCoupe_FirstWeek-5 by Jo_Da_Cu, on Flickr

Rear 3/4 view

Z4MCoupe_FirstWeek-8 by Jo_Da_Cu, on Flickr

Big hood shot

Z4MCoupe_FirstWeek-9 by Jo_Da_Cu, on Flickr

Arguably the best view of the car, in my opinion

Z4MCoupe_FirstWeek-4 by Jo_Da_Cu, on Flickr

"Artsy" B&W side shot

Z4MCoupe_FirstWeek-2 by Jo_Da_Cu, on Flickr
Old 08-24-2014, 08:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been a fan of the Z M cars, the the coupes are tough to find. Yours looks very mint, nice find
Old 10-14-2014, 10:05 AM

UPDATE:

I've had the car a little over two months so wanted to give a quick update on how I like it now that I'm more used to it.

1. Engine is still as impressive as the day I got it - very tractable, very easy to drive around town, great top end and lots of low-end torque. Great sound, though a little quiet now (an aftermarket intake might do the job).

2. Ride is still pretty rough - nothing has changed my opinion of that. Being a fixed-roof car, it's still more solid than the S2000 in every aspect, which I've enjoyed. We're getting close to winter here and it's nice to have heated seats from time to time.

3. Steering - sublime, with excellent feedback. It's a little heavy at slow speeds but it just gets better and better, the faster you drive it. A huge step forward from the S2000, in my opinion.

4. Attention/Looks - this car gets more attention than anything I've ever been in. NO ONE knows what it is, unless they're a big BMW aficionado or major car enthusiast. "M"? What's that?" they always ask (that's the only "name badge" on the car - it doesn't say Z4 anywhere). I've had a few near-accidents happen by people looking at it instead of the road. Pretty funny but I'm glad for the tinted windows, most times, as people do tend to stare.

5. Transmission - I'm completely used to the CDV now and it poses no problem. Transmission is still notchy but I'll change the fluid when I bring it out of storage in the spring (why change now, when it's just going to sit for six months?). Definitely the weakest part of the car, from an enjoyment standpoint...

I took it to its first track day yesterday and had a ton of fun with it. A few unpleasant surprises but overall, quite a bit of fun and fairly quick.

1. Understeer - it's there and it's noticeable, mostly on slow corners. I ran with the DSC on, all day, as there is a fair bit of concrete at our local track. I let an instructor drive it at the end of the day and he commented on it as well. It's safer than oversteer but the car definitely pushes in many corners. I scrubbed the outer edge of the driver's side front tire pretty badly all day. That said, in sweepers, it's fairly neutral and the throttle easily sets the attitude of the car. It's quite simple to get the back end to step out a bit, so it's not like you can't beat the understeer...

2. Stock tires (Continental ContiSport Contact M3) - they suck for the track. It was a cool day (about 60*F, give or take) but I couldn't get much heat into the tires and they had relatively low grip limits. The tires are very vocal (ie, they squeal a lot). I was duking it out with an E92 M3 all day and he had Michelin Pilot Super Sports that were warming up moderately and it showed. Upgrading the tires will be a joy next year, once I burn through these. Apparently these tires need a hotter day to really work decently but in the end, they're a high-perf summer tire, not a max-perf summer tire like the Pilot Sports and the difference was significant.

3. Brakes - I tracked it on stock pads and fluid. I could overheat them pretty quickly (about five laps) BUT they never went away completely. I still had plenty of brake power - the pedal just went a lot deeper on the floor. A set of more aggressive pads and better fluid will definitely help. They were better than my stock S2000 brakes, by a long shot, though! Bite is strong, pedal feedback is good and they're well-matched to the power of the car.

4. Agility - the Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ twins gave me fits in the tight sections. The lone S2000 driver in my group was not very good so I have no comparison BUT a local friend has a supercharged S2000 and was running about 5s per lap faster in it than his Z4 M Coupe like mine (though he has a lot more track time in the S2000, it has way better tires and he just got his M Coupe a week ago). Overall, the car changes directions well but the tires were pretty limiting, I felt. I was overdriving the car a bit but the tires were constantly howling at me in sections where I felt they should've had more grip. It's definitely not as sharp on turn-in as the S2000, and I miss that badly, but it also isn't quite as stiffly sprung so a suspension upgrade would probably do wonders for it (as it would most cars).

5. Ease of driving - the car is very easy to drive fast. Steering response is excellent, the car is overall quite well-balanced and neutral on everything but slow corners. I could pick and nail apexes easily and the car had a nice little slide through sweepers. I was pushing to 100% of my abilities by the second session and merely learning the track beyond that. Having an instructor lap with me at the end of the day showed me a few spots where I could easily pick up some time on the lap, so am looking forward to my next track day....in June 2015, probably (ugh!).

6. DSC - great program that is quite progressive and doesn't generally limit you. There were a few slow corners where I'd have wanted a bit more tire spin but overall, it was unobtrusive and easy to live with. Much better than the "on/off" switch in the S2000 that constantly caught me off guard with its abrupt nature (I always ended up turning it off in my S2000).

7. Seats - good for track, though not quite as supportive as those in the S2000. My left leg/glute is pretty sore today from bracing but my upper body was well supported overall. Good compromise seat but definitely not quite a "track seat" from the factory.

8. Fun - honestly, the S2000 is more entertaining on the track. It's turn-in, agility and sound are just a blast on the track. The gearbox is clearly better and the car just "dances" with the driver. I love and appreciate the extra power and overall stability of the M Coupe but, if I had to pick, I'd probably take the S2000. Upgrading the tires on the M Coupe may change my mind, however, as I expect turn-in, overall grip and overall speed to increase fairly substantially. We'll see!

Overall, I'm quite happy with the car. I've developed a real affection for its looks, the build quality/feel is very good and the performance for daily driving and occasional track use is more than enough. I can see me keeping it for quite a while, unless I get a sweetheart deal/opportunity on a 911 or C7.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a local friend has a supercharged S2000 and was running about 5s per lap faster in it than his Z4 M Coupe like mine (though he has a lot more track time in the S2000, it has way better tires and he just got his M Coupe a week ago). Overall, the car changes directions well but the tires were pretty limiting, I felt. I was overdriving the car a bit but the tires were constantly howling at me in sections where I felt they should've had more grip. It's definitely not as sharp on turn-in as the S2000, and I miss that badly, but it also isn't quite as stiffly sprung so a suspension upgrade would probably do wonders for it (as it would most cars).

Here is my 15 seconds of fame! great write up!
Old 09-03-2015, 04:28 AM

I didn't get he warranty part. Factory BMW warranty expires after 4 years, CPO is good for another 2. So if the car is already 6 years old it can't have factory or CPO warranties.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:03 AM

Aftermarket (obviously).
Old 09-17-2015, 07:16 AM

Beautiful car man! I pass by you all the time! We live in the same area
Old 09-21-2015, 05:54 AM

What're you driving? I've seen a black AP1 and I've met the guy in the white AP2.

Also, the car provisionally sold this weekend - I have a non-refundable deposit on it and the buyer flies in to take possession in two weeks.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:29 AM

Black AP1. whats next?
Old 09-23-2015, 05:36 AM

Eh - hard to say. Got my first speeding ticket (in ten years!) a month or two ago, so I'm not sure if I want to go up or down in power.

Initial thought is a C6 Z06 - I've always loved the look, even after the C7 came out, and it's quite a light car for that kind of power. However, a 997.2 Carrera S has always been a dream so I might try that (it was my intent to get it, rather than the Z4M).

But I might actually drop back to an S2000 or something similar. The ability to wring the neck of the car I drive and not be TOO far over the speed limit is what makes them fun to drive on the street. The Z4M is already too quick for that kind of driving on the street, so I'm not sure why I'd get a 7L 505 hp beast....but much craves more, right?

Or whatever crosses my path that catches my fancy that I can afford. I've considered a 996 Turbo, as they're relatively reliable and make good power while still offering some of the "rawness" of the older Porsche designs.