S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Cams that actually make power?

Old 10-21-2014, 02:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cams that actually make power?

In the spring im going to be getting k-pro so i figured why not drop in a set of cams and some valve springs before i got a tune. My current mods are FIPK, Maxbore TB, 70mm test pipe and 75mm single exhaust. I previously had a rsx which was k-pro'd and cam'd. I went with the brian crower stage 2's cause at the time they were a good bang for your buck cam for the k-series. Now i've been doing a lot of research on these forums and a ton of people are using the brain crowers in our s2000's but everyone has mixed feelings about the gains. There are some people who drop them in and without any tuning net 12-15whp. And there are some that make more power with the stock cams. I also read that the cams for the f20/22 arent engineered for the f-series engine and that companies are just using the k-series profile with the s2000 cores. Is there any truth to this? Are there any cams out there that have been engineered for the f-series that make power?? Why dont kelford or drag cartel make any nice cams for our f-series? Should i just drop in a ap1 intake cam and call it a day? lol... Goals for the car are to keep in n/a for a while with a puddymod diff and 4.56/7 gears....
Old 10-21-2014, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

going off my engine ap1 cams in a f22 seem to work well
Old 10-21-2014, 10:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The s2000 is hard to improve upon, Honda spent alot of R&D for there anniversary car, bearing in mind Mr Honda himself loved racing and fettling with engines..... the F20c was created with a very high standard in mind, hense all the awards it had for the highest power n/a production engine etc etc. As OE the head is very very good with flow tolerances some tuners would be happy to have after its moddified p&p etc. Or recycling previous k series profiles... because its easier! But not really the right idea....

Cam companies usually produce cams to improve upon production cars performance, so it's relatively easy to improve as during the oe design process massive compromises are had . Honda had a no compromise appraoch with f20c so its very hard to really improve upon.....

the f22c is compromised due to the usa emissions regs Honda changed the cc of the engine to comply, Honda has history with lowering emmisions without catalyst technology, a reason why Honda started doing so well in america was this on their early cars.

adding in the earlier cam of the f20c may well be a good idea imo. Custom grinds are available for cams but the engineer better know this stuff when dealing with this... as common principles dont apply to the F2xC :-)
Old 10-22-2014, 02:40 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Disagree. And that's based on many years of modifying these cars.

Some Hytech cams on my previous engine along with breathing mods made a big difference. There are many threads on here regarding gains from cams so I'd do some research.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MB

Some Hytech cams on my previous engine along with breathing mods made a big difference. There are many threads on here regarding gains from cams so I'd do some research.
Ill have to look into the hytech cams and i have done my research and thats exactly why i made this thread. i can pull up 5 threads where people made decent gains and 5 threads where people made negligible gains....
Old 10-22-2014, 06:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$2,500 for cams breaks the bank for me
Old 10-22-2014, 07:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MB

Thats cool :-) in your experience are these for track use or road? Loosing vtec engagement? With decent idle?
Old 10-22-2014, 07:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In order to properly run cams you really need to degree the cams with cam gears. For years the only alternative was Toda. Skunk2 recently released cam gears for the F20/22. There are a few profiles on the market but none that I would personally run on my car. I've been waiting for a good profile to come up. My car is pretty much maxed out with regards to bolt on modifications.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:10 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by weatyGT
Originally Posted by MB' timestamp='1413974439' post='23378502

Thats cool :-) in your experience are these for track use or road? Loosing vtec engagement? With decent idle?
I had them in car when it was still road legal and they drive very nicely with no idle issues. They aren't too wild looking at the numbers. They are also very nicely made.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:25 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

F20 cores are tough to get but we are working on it. These motors stand to pick up tons of power with a good cam
Attached Thumbnails Cams that actually make power?-img_20141023_111352700.jpg   Cams that actually make power?-img_20141023_111447865.jpg   Cams that actually make power?-img_20141023_111340857.jpg   Cams that actually make power?-img_20141023_111502171.jpg  

Quick Reply: Cams that actually make power?