S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.
View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
Buddy Club Spec II with test pipe
10.00%
HKS Hi-Power Single with test pipe
37.50%
Invidia q300 with test pipe
30.00%
T1R Single with test pipe
22.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Need Help Choosing An Exhaust with Minimal Drone...

Old 10-27-2014, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Choosing An Exhaust with Minimal Drone...

I am looking for a moderately priced single exit exhaust for my 02 AP1. Only mod is an AEM CAI. I would like some performance and very minimal drone at low RPMs. After 4k I wouldn't mind some loudness, and at WOT I wouldn't mind almost going deaf as long as it sounded good! I drive the car short distances (10-15 miles) on the weekend and would like to be able to have a conversation with the top down at low RPMs with very little annoying drone. I have been locally offered a 1. Buddy Club Spec 2 with invidia test pipe, 2. Invidia Q300, 3. HKS Hi-Power Single with invidia test pipe. I am leaning towards the HKS. Let me know your opinions. I am trying to spend less than $650.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey - i saw your PM about my exhaust for sale and then ran across your thread

The Berk headerback is not what you want if you are looking for minimal drone - it's loud as balls. I recently took it off the car, otherwise I would give you a ride. My wife can't stand it

I'm not sure any of those meet your criteria, the Invidia and Buddy Club are also super loud, as is the T1R depending on which one you get. Being a single, they are inherently incredibly loud with drone. Off the top of my head the closest thing to what you're looking for is maybe the Invidia Q300 single? or the Greddy spectrum elite, but i'm not sure how much those usually go for.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buddy Club Spec II with test pipe - Would be the loudest exhaust there besides going straight pipe. It's actually has a megaphone exhaust tip that amplifies the exhaust sound.. as for drone i don't know.. Look up the this exhuast on youtube for the integra.. its so loud it sets car alarms off lol

I've owned the Invidia N1 Dual exhaust with a 70mm test-pipe and let me tell you. It drones like a motherf**ker. From 3000-4000rpm its really bad, like to put in perspective, imagine putting a 2 subwoofers one beside each ear, at one constant frequency at full volume.. it makes your head rattle i ended up selling it within 3 days, for that reason and the girl firend didn't approve lol.

although the invidia sounded amazing at WOT, no drone just amazing jizz-tastic sound... you can't be at WOT all the time and if you're not its very droney

As for the next exhaust for me... i'm probably getting the berk or waiting until SOS releases there new exhaust system.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

That is not a good list if wanting minimal drone. At all. Some of those are the worst ones for drone out there.

If wanting minimal drone look at Tanabe touring medallion, Apexi ws2, HKS dual, Invidia q300 etc. The ones you listed are some of the loudest and or droniest exhausts available. Not saying they are all bad but definitely far from the quiet low drone category.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure you didn't mean to put the Q300 on your poll instead of the N1?
Old 10-28-2014, 07:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Moddiction reminded me - the best no drone exhaust setup is the HKS Dual with the 63mm test pipe. I've owned it two times and it's fantastic. Has a pretty distinct sound and can be pretty loud at WOT.
To me it has the best mix of Max WOT Volume and Min drone at cruising that I could find.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:26 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by suprmonky73
Moddiction reminded me - the best no drone exhaust setup is the HKS Dual with the 63mm test pipe. I've owned it two times and it's fantastic. Has a pretty distinct sound and can be pretty loud at WOT.
To me it has the best mix of Max WOT Volume and Min drone at cruising that I could find.
+1 for HKS. They also make a single 75mm which would be cheaper and IMO would be a better option than anything you have listed for minimal drone while still getting loud in the upper rpm's. Should be able to find brand new in your budget with test pipe.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:20 AM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

HKS 75mm single drones... If this weren't a track car, I would have taken it off as soon as I bought the car.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:49 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Buddyclub! Do some research. I'd say milltek is the quietest
Old 10-28-2014, 01:57 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

OEM, Mugen. Those have true minimal drone. All the ones you lists will drone a good bit.

Quick Reply: Need Help Choosing An Exhaust with Minimal Drone...