Oregon S2000 Owners The Club forum for S2000 Owners in Oregon and SW Washington.

2005 Clutch replacement recommendation

Old 11-16-2014, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Clutch replacement recommendation

I need to get the clutch replaced in my 2005 S2000. I am located in the portland, oregon area. Any recommendations on who to take the car to? Looking for a reputable shop or even a club member who knows how to to do it. I don't have the knowledge or tools or even the place to do it myself. Obviously looking for best deal I can get but I also want it done right and have a good replacement put in. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jimboslice?
Old 11-16-2014, 09:14 PM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

A few locals have done it (NAs2kCR) and also there are a few shops within the area are familiar with our cars (TrackForged, PRE, PSI etc)

I'm sure others will chime in.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:25 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

A group of friends and I actually did my clutch on a garage floor this summer. If you plan on doing it yourself, there are some things you should know:

1. The DIY's aren't super awesome. Sure, they tell you how to do the big stuff, but there's a lot left out. However, the tools listed in the DIY gives you everything you need for the job, besides a flywheel tool to hold the FW in place so you can get get the bolts off.

2. Devote an entire weekend to do it with a few friends. The job isn't technically difficult, but there's a lot to do. We did it in 18 hours straight cause it had to be up and running ASAP, which made the job really not fun. We started at 2pm and didn't finish till 6am, with a couple hours of breaks total. I think it'll be much easier if you give yourself a couple days to do it.

3. Be prepared for your friends to bitch and complain about your car for weeks afterward.

There you go. If you can find a place and tools, I'd be willing to lend you a hand since it's still fresh in my mind. I don't have a space to do the job in, unfortunately.

If you decide to take it to a shop, Trackforged is a good option, and it was quite affordable.

As for clutches, DO NOT GO WITH COMP. Unless you plan to go FI or something, just get an AP1 flywheel (8 lbs lighter) and OEM disc, pressure plate, and bearings.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-17-2014, 09:30 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I took mine to AR Auto Service in Lake Oswego http://arautoservices.com this summer. Have been going there for a few years now, great shop. Mainly catered towards the Spec Miata, BMW, Porsche and Lotus track crowd, which means fairly expensive, but their expertise is incredible.

If I recall, labor came to about $750 - 800. OEM clutch and bearings from Dick Honda for $500.

I personally wouldn't recommend track forged for various reasons. Shop is a mess, unprofessional and the work I have had done there is not impressive. Another big reason which I won't disclose on here...

PSI is very much like AR in that it's clean, professional, technicians have a high level of expertise and just generally a nice place to be.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:04 PM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Okay, now whose ready to do my timing belt for me??
Old 11-17-2014, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^not I sir...
Old 11-23-2014, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses back. Unfortunately, I do not have a place to do it on my own. My garage is too small, yep, even for the S.

I took it by clutchdoctors and they quoted 950 parts and labor including resurfacing the flywheel. Not real big on having them do it...no particular reason, just a gut feeling which may or may not be correct.

Guess I'm not used to paying so much to get a clutch done but realize there is a lot of labor involved. Not trying to cheap out on it, just trying to get it done right with the right parts for a fair price.

If anyone out there is good at working on these, I'd gladly pay to have it done, as long as you know how to do it right.

If not, I will figure it out. It's not gone, but definitely feels ilke it is on the way out. My understanding is that it's self adjusting so I don't think a adjustment is a option.

I have learned a lot on the posts and forums on here. Rarely post (obviously) but appreciate having it as a resource and guide when needed.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrocket
Thanks for the responses back. Unfortunately, I do not have a place to do it on my own. My garage is too small, yep, even for the S.

I took it by clutchdoctors and they quoted 950 parts and labor including resurfacing the flywheel. Not real big on having them do it...no particular reason, just a gut feeling which may or may not be correct.

Guess I'm not used to paying so much to get a clutch done but realize there is a lot of labor involved. Not trying to cheap out on it, just trying to get it done right with the right parts for a fair price.

If anyone out there is good at working on these, I'd gladly pay to have it done, as long as you know how to do it right.

If not, I will figure it out. It's not gone, but definitely feels ilke it is on the way out. My understanding is that it's self adjusting so I don't think a adjustment is a option.

I have learned a lot on the posts and forums on here. Rarely post (obviously) but appreciate having it as a resource and guide when needed.
I have done several and it is a big enough hassle that I sure would not want to be in that business. Takes me a couple of days on the floor of my garage so I feel the quote you got is ok for price. There are enough little things to pay attention to and difficult fasteners that drive the 'book' time (without FW surface) to 8 full hours so with retail labor rates of $80 to $120 and shop charges of 2 - 3% you will find most are even higher.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:24 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Pay the extra and go to a reputable shop...what clutch are they using at clutchdoctor?