UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

NFR s2000 Progress, Bushes Ohlins etc

Old 11-18-2014, 12:45 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default NFR s2000 Progress, Bushes Ohlins etc

Hi, i have owned my s2k for around 6 months now but its never felt right around corners etc, and because of that i lack confidence in the car to drive it like it should be driven as it feels like its just going to fly off the road, it drives straight etc and does not pull to any side.

anyway i decided i wanted to get he car checked out and geometry looked at and re-searched best place to go which sounds to be center of gravity, i have exchanged a few messages with them about getting my car geometry done, and they are asking me to take the car for "health check consultation" which comprises of basically checking if any bolts are seized, taking it for a test drive checking tires and suspension components, lasts 2 hours, and is going to cost me £150 before i even have the geometry looked at, is this standard practice?

seems a bit over kill, i would like my bush's sorting and replacing next year if they are seized, but surely they can just try and get the best geometry they can with a few seizes and let me know whats stuck and what isn't and cost to fix it? rather then paying £150 for a check, and then another wad of cash to get the geo set, and then another wad to sort any problem?s
Old 11-18-2014, 12:51 AM
UK Moderator

Received 299 Likes on 257 Posts

Firstly, they are called "Center Gravity".

Secondly, they are very expensive, and some would argue that you get what you pay for, and some would say that the cost and time is un-necessary.

If you would like a basic check and alignment, it should cost around £100 or so, try www.alignmycar.co.uk for a place near to you.

If you let us know your locations, we can probably recommend somewhere local.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:15 AM

I am located in worksop, near doncaster/Sheffield i dont mind traveling for a good place, also is any photo's available of the parts i need to spray with penetrating oil to try and loosen them up before the geo so i stand a better chance of them not being seized?

I am thinking of calling Bram Racing in featherstone, they are around 30-40mins away from me and come up on align my car anyone heard of them or had experience with them?

Edit

I have booked my self in with bram racing, who have all the equipment to do the check, apparently he has never done the alignment on a honda s2000 but has all the profiles for uk spec etc so will see how it goes on Saturday and will report back!

I did ring a company called Sheffield prestige, and when i asked if they had experience with the honda s2000, the guy sounded quite rude and basically said something along the lines of "its a car at the end of the day, cant be any harder then a aston martin or or jag XK"
Old 11-18-2014, 01:50 AM
UK Moderator

You can find the standard alignment specification in the FAQ, to help compare.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
You can find the standard alignment specification in the FAQ, to help compare.
Thanks i have printed it off to take it with me to make sure it tally's up with what their system throws up and to make sure they dont throw on a pre face lift geo setting.

One question, why does the list say Front at inspection, and then front at adjustment?
Old 11-18-2014, 03:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i paid £120 for my geometry, this price did include the adjustment bolts being pulled and greased. however non of my adjustment bolts where actually seized up, if they are then the price will go up a fair bit depending on labour etc.

heres my thread from a few weeks ago when had mine done...im from Oldham, not too far from you and can happily recommend paul at drury lane, oldham.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/110...#entry23377472
Old 11-18-2014, 03:59 AM
UK Moderator

First, make sure you have the correct specs for your year of car.

Inspection is a simple "is it sort of OK?" range, and Adjustment is what to aim for if you are adjusting things.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:20 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I have had my car done at Centre Gravity and the price you mentioned is correct. After all work done it was the best part of £500.
If you just want your geo checking don't go there. However if you want a chassis expert to inspect your car, and use a grease on bolts wich he will guarantee will never ever sieze, do a full road test of your car, check your shockers on a special dyno, ask you what you want and know what all the implications are of any particular change and get both sides to a 2 minute tolerance then go and see Chris @ Centre Gravity.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm with you there Tony. You do get what you pay for. I've used Chris twice and have an extremely well planted car especially through the corners. Chris is extremely exact in his work and once you're there, you'll appreicate what you are paying for. My last set up cost £315 (inc VAT).

Originally Posted by tozerman
I have had my car done at Centre Gravity and the price you mentioned is correct. After all work done it was the best part of £500.
If you just want your geo checking don't go there. However if you want a chassis expert to inspect your car, and use a grease on bolts wich he will guarantee will never ever sieze, do a full road test of your car, check your shockers on a special dyno, ask you what you want and know what all the implications are of any particular change and get both sides to a 2 minute tolerance then go and see Chris @ Centre Gravity.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See my post above, all my settings are within '1 tolerances of each other, bolts greased and a road test on the most accurate machine there currently is. The garage owner Paul who did the set up races in and is a podium finisher in formula ford....now I've never been to centre gravity but have heard that they do quality work, however I'd rather pay £120 than £315 or £500, for me what seems to be the same work, unless I'm missing something...just sayin

Quick Reply: NFR s2000 Progress, Bushes Ohlins etc