Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

My Daily Driver - 2014 Dodge Charger SRT

Old 12-07-2014, 09:22 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts
Default My Daily Driver - 2014 Dodge Charger SRT

Some of you may remember my hunt for a V8 family sedan that was sporty enough to take to the track. Earlier this fall it was time to find something that would be as interesting to drive as the S2000, reasonably priced, 4 doors and trackable in its current form.

I dug into the Chevy SS, the Dodge Charger SRT, BMW M5, and Audi S4. Without a doubt the BMW/Audi were of nicer overall build quality, with the price tags turning me off and the history of problems related to both.

This started my focus on the Chevy SS vs Dodge Charger SRT. Both American V8’s, quick, seating for 4 and reasonably priced. Driving both was a very differently experience however. The Chevy SS just don’t have ‘it’. It’s quick, be in lighter on power, and well equipped. It’s the cheaper of the two.

The Charger SRT feels more powerful, has multiple suspension/transmission settings and while the off the line times are about the same it ‘feels’ more powerful at every point in regular driving. The roar in the cabin changes as well, the car opens up and gives a very nice bit of audible feedback to the driver.

The fully loaded interior, with every possible feature available makes it as interesting for me to drive as the BMW/Audi.

The engine and brakes are what really set the Dodge part. You’ll be surprised to know it stops from 70-0 in 152 feet and well they are some of the best brakes I’ve driven in a stock car.

The interior build quality is far improved over domestics of old and the ride quality good. The body and interior panels are tight, soft touch materials used throughout and the info system the best in the business.

So I ended up buying it. I originally went in to put a deposit on the Charger Hellcat but the additional wait, first model year and premium people are attempting to collect turned me off.

I’m 2k into it, 2 oil changes and many hours behind the wheel. It ended up showing up with another $2k in features I didn’t pay for which was a fun surprise. All in all I got a killer deal with a 7 year/85k bumper-to-bumper warranty to cover off the potential long term issues this car might have. Not certain I’ll have it for 7 years but so far I’m impressed with the overall qualities of the car and the online reviews of long term troubles were impressive, better then the Chevy SS. Car was quickly tinted and I had clear bra put on.

My ONLY complaint is the steering is completely numb. Learning the cars limit, power curve and when to do what has been a slower experience due to lack of feedback. Some track days will probably fix that.

Now the question you’re all going to have for me is. Are you a domestic fan? Truth be told, no. This is the only domestic sedan I’d buy and had I not been looking for the V8, larger sedan with track features/abilities, I would have stayed Japanese.

How much do I like this particular sedan? I get a giggle every time I put my foot into it.

On a side note, this car gets me too much attention. In parking lots people stop to look at it, sometimes mid walk between cars. People turn heads at stop lights and on the freeway I get pacers. It’s an odd experience.

In a fun comparison between every day driver and my personal experience I can tell you their review here models exactly my experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggGJSNUGd30
Attached Thumbnails My Daily Driver - 2014 Dodge Charger SRT-img_4333.jpg   My Daily Driver - 2014 Dodge Charger SRT-img_4348.jpg   My Daily Driver - 2014 Dodge Charger SRT-img_4289.jpg   My Daily Driver - 2014 Dodge Charger SRT-img_4427.jpg   My Daily Driver - 2014 Dodge Charger SRT-img_4287.jpg  

My Daily Driver - 2014 Dodge Charger SRT-img_4285.jpg   My Daily Driver - 2014 Dodge Charger SRT-img_4288.jpg  
Old 12-07-2014, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a cop car.....that's why I would be checking it out while on the road.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:12 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats. Thinking about a hellcat charger in the future. I need the 4 doors (4 kids...so many).
Old 12-07-2014, 11:02 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ksdaoski
Looks like a cop car.....that's why I would be checking it out while on the road.
Another awesome thing about them. I find myself moving instinctively for chargers sometimes thinking they are cop cars. Hellcat charger wound be good for clearing the left lane. So many positives!!
Old 12-07-2014, 11:37 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by ksdaoski
I'm not certain if it's that. These folks speed up to stay with me and I see them checking out the car. Had people even tuck in behind me to come around the other side.

Get a lot of waves and thumbs up too.

Originally Posted by ealand0001
Congrats. Thinking about a hellcat charger in the future. I need the 4 doors (4 kids...so many).
I'll likely get one too if they're still making them in 3 years. You don't want the first gen. The reality for me, I never use all the current power. 15mpg mixed driving too.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She is a beauty! Congratulations! My buddy had an 05 r/t. Lightly modded and it was always a joy taking it out. Very capable cars. Enjoy!
Old 12-07-2014, 02:07 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Awesome. Rented a few chargers and I just like them beyond logic. I hate so many things about then but am drawn to them.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:16 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Some of you may remember my hunt for a V8 family sedan that was sporty enough to take to the track. Earlier this fall it was time to find something that would be as interesting to drive as the S2000, reasonably priced, 4 doors and trackable in its current form.

I dug into the Chevy SS, the Dodge Charger SRT, BMW M5, and Audi S4. Without a doubt the BMW/Audi were of nicer overall build quality, with the price tags turning me off and the history of problems related to both.
Funny seeing your list. A buddy went from Charger SRT to Challenger SRT8, to M5 (all about 1.5 years)... Now has a new Cayman S. The M5's gas mileage is a joke. City is like 7-8 mpg! He had a manual and I met someone who was trading in his SMG M5 for the same gas mileage reasons. That V10 is something else, but not practical at all and if something breaks, it's big bucks to fix. That was the other reason they both traded in the M5 in. The first drive sold them, but the reality scared them.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:59 PM
Community Organizer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on the new car! It looks like a beast!
Old 12-07-2014, 05:09 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

These cars, to me, are all about presence, sound and power. I can't say I was impressed with the brakes BUT there's just something about them that is cool. They're big, bold, in your face and they don't apologize for it. Very much at "attitude" car.

I like it!

Quick Reply: My Daily Driver - 2014 Dodge Charger SRT