Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Operation Storytime: Nobody Likes the Tuna Here

Old 12-31-2015, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy moly this is one of the best build threads out there! How do you cope with being away from your car for so long? Working in Japan myself I only get to see mine every 5 weeks or so. When I do come home there are always parts waiting to get installed though haha
Old 12-31-2015, 09:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JCCs2k
Holy moly this is one of the best build threads out there! How do you cope with being away from your car for so long? Working in Japan myself I only get to see mine every 5 weeks or so. When I do come home there are always parts waiting to get installed though haha
Lol nice. I wish I was every 5 weeks, I average every other month right now. I guess the same question goes to you, how do you cope? Personally I just drink a lot of alcohol and it numbs the pain.

In all actuality I'm kind of thankful it's turned out this way- couldn't have afforded it otherwise, and I really appreciate the car every single time I get into it. I'm jealous of people who get to drive their car every day but I think when you do you lose a sense of specialness that the car has. I'm kind of happy I get that sense of special every time I get into it.

Sure the s2000 is 'just a Honda' but it's a well thought out car that has everything I need. I'd rather buy a $20k car and put $20k into it making it what I want it to be rather than buying a $40k car. That's just my opinion at least. Haha
Old 01-01-2016, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha. Lots of alcohol here too and lots of time spent browsing s2ki. There aren't too many s2k's out in Nagoya, but on the off chance that I do see one that's modified, they are always done right! I agree tho, when you don't get to drive the s2000 or even see the car for so long, it makes us cherish the moments that much more.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:03 PM

Depending on how long you're there, just ship your car over!
Old 01-01-2016, 01:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhyW
Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer' timestamp='1451526507' post='23840241
You have billions of dollars. Drop the money on the ASM hooks!
Hah! I wish. It's hard to justify that much $$ on such a small part...
Buy the tow hook. Better safe than sorry. I actually thought the Mugen intake was more outrageous in terms of price versus size of part.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:52 PM

The Mugen intake has a performance benefit though.

And I got a really good deal on mine so I can't complain, I can see where you're coming from if it's coming from one of the shops in the U.S. though.

I have a couple of months to mull over what I want to do
Old 01-08-2016, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful. I just moved to LA I need to get in on some of these meets. I feel like an S2000 outcast here in the IE.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:46 AM

I took a last minute trip home this past weekend and got to drive the car a bit, otherwise it's just been sitting in the garage... Other than that, no real updates. I haven't bought any parts, I have some stuff in mind that I want to pick up but no immediate plans to buy anything.

Lucky me, it decided to rain for nearly the entire weekend - I guess California needed the rain but it was definitely pretty lame.

Anyway, no real updates other than some pictures I posted on Instagram.

On Sunday the weather cleared up for a few hours, so I took the opportunity to take the car out and drive around for a bit. I stopped halfway through and took some iphone snaps - I didn't bring my camera with me on this trip.

I went through two tanks of gas over the weekend... At least gas is cheap, right?

Anyway, I'm already back, I was only home for two days. Until the next trip!

Old 07-01-2016, 04:26 PM

Well I guess I'll update this.

June 2016

Back in November I ordered a pair of 9.5+47 CE28's so I could have a square set. I also wanted more clearance in the rear and the ability to rotate tires. The 9.5" has 8mm more clearance than the 10".

So, my CE's came in on the 21st and I installed them on the 23rd! The timing ended up working out, even if it was a bit close. I had planned on being back for the past couple of months, so I'm glad they came in time.

I switched the tires from the 10's to the 9.5's and got them mounted up. For convenience I had it done at America's Tire but they weren't as careful as I would have liked, but no scratches or anything like that. I'll probably go somewhere else next time.

The plan for the weekend was to get the car aligned at West End, go to the Topdown meet, and hit up a cars and coffee.

Friday I stopped by Signature Autobody to say hi to everyone over there. This was my second time ever seeing their shop, as every time I've dropped the car off or picked it up, someone else did it for me... Anyway it was time that I stopped by. Great group of people who do great work, I highly recommend them.

Next it was time for an alignment. I met Chris_Lum at Church so he could get a baseline dyno first, and I have got to say... The city of Long Beach has GOT to fix some of those roads down there... Anyway.

They have some pretty cool cars over there, but most of them are caked with dust and haven't moved in a long time. Here's the old Bulletproof S2000:

He had several s2000's just laying around.

Off to West End! Appointments typically fill up pretty fast, so you have to call a few weeks in advance.

The cool thing about West End is they both only do manual alignments. They don't even have an electronic rack, so it was definitely pretty cool to see how they did it.

My final settings were -1.7F, -2.7R. This is what Darren recommended and I love it so far. It was really weird, before I got the alignment I would rub with both the 17x10's and when I switched to the 9.5's I was STILL rubbing - and I was at -3.0 - but after my alignment and taking out camber in the rear, I completely stopped rubbing. As Darren was doing my alignment he mentioned a few times that the camber was pretty jacked, and my other settings such as castor and toe were way off - so I'm really glad I had it done. I won't mention who did my alignment before but I won't be going back, that's for sure...

Anyway with the driving I've done so far, the car feels phenomenal. I absolutely love it.

Our alignments were each about an hour, and by the time we were done it was time to brave SoCal Friday traffic and the 405 parking lot.

After braving traffic I washed the 405 grime off. Just kidding, I hadn't washed it since January so it was time........

Anyway, time for the Topdown meet. Areen, Chris and I left to go meet up with Tommy and caravan to the meet.

It was a weird feeling following a bunch of well put together s2000's. Weird in that usually you see normal or slightly modified s2000's on the road every day, but not full ASM or full Spoon builds, or even full Mugen builds.

We got to the meet a little early, and stayed for the first 45 minutes until the cops showed up. We left because they threatened to write tickets...

I guess everyone ended up going to a second location but we went somewhere else instead. If we had known we would have joined but, oh well. Another time.

Saturday some friends and I went to Cars and Coffee. It's really changed since the CnC Irvine days... I'm not sure I'm really interested in going back after this time.

Chris_Lum was very gracious with letting me stay at his place for the weekend. Thanks again dude!

Also, I picked up an Arvou towhook from a friend. Still debating how I'm going to mount it, I don't want to completely take out the front mesh, so I'm thinking I'll cut a hole of some sort...

Old 07-01-2016, 04:33 PM

On Saturday night I did a quick photoshoot with some friends. Here are a couple of them. Photos courtesy of Chris_Lum!

Quick Reply: Operation Storytime: Nobody Likes the Tuna Here