S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Ohlin's DFV R&T Review

Old 01-14-2015, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ohlin's DFV R&T Review

Hey all. I bought a set of Ohlins DFV a few months and wanted to share my thoughts on them with the forum. Having spent many hours of my life researching different suspensions, I can't tell you how helpful reading through reviews on this forum were making my decision. Thank you to you to those people who shared. Let me tell you a bit about my s2k first. It's a DD and never been tracked. I have a K&N intake, berk hfc, act HH PP, ap1 flywheel, bridgestone RE-11's and now Ohlin's DFV. My s2k had ~115k miles on it when I decided to upgrade the suspension. What I was looking for was a significant upgrade in handling without a large comprise on drivability, as I live in an area where the roads are generally bad, and ease of tuning. My price range was less than 3k. I had initially bought a set of KW club sports, which I ended up having to sell in a pinch. When I was ready to buy again, I came across the Ohlins DFV. What drew me to these and away from buying another set of KWs was the technology, street drivability and the ease of tuning.
I made the purchase from Patrick at URGE designs and want to mention that it was a pleasure to do business with him. Not only was the transaction itself smooth, with on time delivery, but Patrick was available through email and phone to help me out with question regarding install and use. I would certainly do business with him in the future.
Now onto the review. Ill break it down into three categories: handling, drivability, tuning. (just to add, I have only ever had the oem suspension on my car and have never driven an s2k with an upgraded suspension)
Handling: Wow haha. I didn't know what to expect coming from a stock suspension and I was definitely grinning ear to ear when I finished a run on my favorite road. I was literally was able to take corners 25% faster, at all speeds, with more control, right of the bat. The car feels so much more controllable with out sacrificing the fun factor. What's very noticeable is that the floating feeling of the stock suspension at high speeds, especially when cornering and hitting a bump, is greatly diminished. Now I am not an engineer, but I would probably attribute this to the dfv technology, which is designed to keep the tire on the road. Overall, I would say this is a big improvement from stock. While I have no objective baseline for comparison, I would say that you track guys would be loving these.
Drivability: The roads around me suck for the most part. The ride is stiffer than stock and at times can be bone jarring, but its tolerable. This is to be expected though if your considering a solid suspension upgrade. However, there's never been a time where I've hit a rough patch in the road and said "damn I wish I had my stock suspension back". Never.
Tuning: Installed them myself. Took about 5 hours. It was the first major modification is did myself. Adjustments are easy. Simply turn a knob to adjust rebound and compression simultaneously. The rear drivers side knob is a pain because of lack of space in there secondary to the fuel line. I kept the ride height at manufactures recommended setting.
Overall I am really happy with my purchase. I certainly would recommend the Ohlin's dfv to anyone and to get them through Patrick at URGE Designs. I hope this helps everyone. Feel free to ask me any questions. By the way, the s2k looks great lowered.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice review. I've yet to hear a bad thing about the DFV's. What size wheels are you running? Did you have to roll the fenders? Any tire scraping? TIA.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:20 AM

The Ohlins were, and still, are my favorite modification to the car. I found the factory dampers to be overly stiff over bumps, which to me was odd with soft stock spring rates. I'm curious though, what do you have your dampers set at? I've found I run things VERY soft compared to others on this board(12 clicks from full soft). I also found that there are in fact 34 clicks from stop to stop and not the 30 advertised, which made for annoying mis-adjustments after autox before I realized it.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by jamesac83
The Ohlins were, and still, are my favorite modification to the car. I found the factory dampers to be overly stiff over bumps, which to me was odd with soft stock spring rates. I'm curious though, what do you have your dampers set at? I've found I run things VERY soft compared to others on this board(12 clicks from full soft). I also found that there are in fact 34 clicks from stop to stop and not the 30 advertised, which made for annoying mis-adjustments after autox before I realized it.
I have mine set at 9 from full stuff all around. On the stiffer side for a DD but I love it, haha.

34 clicks? I don't think I've counted that many...
Old 05-05-2015, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by uh0h50
Nice review. I've yet to hear a bad thing about the DFV's. What size wheels are you running? Did you have to roll the fenders? Any tire scraping? TIA.
I am running the stock 04 wheels and am currently running Ohlin's recommended ride height (I believe its about 1 inch lower. I didn't have to roll the fenders and there is no tire scrapping. However, now that's its warmer out and because the s2k looks so damn sexy lowered, I plan to drop it another 3/4 to 1 inch. Hopefully that won't incur and issues.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:59 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Also on Ohlins Epic suspension Will be finally tracking on these come October.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:04 PM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

I don't know how you can wait so long! First thing I did when I put mine on was test them, then track it!
Old 05-05-2015, 06:24 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
I don't know how you can wait so long! First thing I did when I put mine on was test them, then track it!
They've seen charity laps at VIR (110+ down the back straight) and a week at the dragon...trust me...they got an initial workout
Old 05-05-2015, 06:28 PM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Here was my initial working of them... I'm pretty sure two wheels got off the ground here too.

https://youtu.be/1z81bQigKKo?t=2m50s