S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Haltech Elite 1500

Old 01-31-2015, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Haltech Elite 1500

Hey all, I've been pretty inactive on here for a long time. Making this post to show what the new Elite 1500 will be able to do for our cars. This is just a preliminary post and I will update when I have time. Here are some of the features the 1500 will be capable of doing. The 2500 was just released and is for 8+ cylinder cars, the 1500 is for 4 cylinder applications, although I'm sure it can run 6 cylinder also, but I would recommend the 2500 for such applications. I've been wanting a way to control throttle for a long time and this is the unit that can do it, I know there are others but I really like Haltech's products. Haltech USA is local for me, so its a great option just for accessibility and figuring out what we can do with this thing!! Harness will be a Boomslang patch harness, this way the factory ECU can run the VSA and little silly stuff while the standalone runs the important things. I will be trying to take control of the DBW system, which will be somewhat of an experimental step for this unit, mainly from the aspect of how the car reacts, the Elite 1500 is more than capable but when leaving the factory ECU in place this can cause some issues. That's what I want to find out. Currently the unit is on order, I literally ordered the first one and should have it in hand in a few weeks, as soon as Haltech gets one I'll be picking it up and slowly working on all the functions of it in my spare time, my goal is to get the car running and driving on the unit, after that I plan to install Mahle pistons to pick up the desired 20hp I need to make 300hp at the crank(277 currently). I will update this post accordingly, happy tuning!

Features:

• Waterproof Case

• 4 x Fuel Injection Outputs

• 4 x Ignition Outputs

• 28 x Digital Outputs (TBD)

• 10 x Analogue Voltage Inputs (TBD)

• USB laptop communications

• Drive By Wire (DBW) Throttle Control

• 6 x Engine Position Inputs with extensive trigger type support (TBD)

• Programmable Injector Peak and Hold Currents

• OBDII Capable – set and clear diagnostics trouble codes

• New “ESP” calibration software – More intuitive and easier to use than ever

• Dual CAN Bus communications for OEM and Haltech CAN expansion (Confirmed)

• User definable 5D Tuning – Tune by Gear, Cam Angle or any channel
for ultimate tuning flexibility

• Variable Cam Control – Independently Control up to 4 camshafts (TBD)

• Dual Channel Knock Control – With FFT analysis for accurate detection

• Auto Tune Capabilities – Short and Long term fuel, ignition & boost learning (Confirmed)

• Staged Fuelling – Up to four stages of injectors

• Multi-fuel Support- Support for Petrol (Gasoline), Methanol and Ethanol (Confirmed)

• E85 Flex Fuel Ready – With additional boost tables (Confirmed)

• Closed Loop Boost Control – Multiple Modes – Tune by gear, wheel speed or time

• Closed Loop Idle Control – With learning for consistent idle stability (Confirmed)

• Closed Loop 02 Control – Dual bank control for precise tuning (Confirmed)

• Anti-Lag and Launch Control – Drag and Rally modes (Confirmed)

• Data logging – Internal memory & external laptop logging (Confirmed)

• Multi Level Engine Protection – Set limits for sensors and protect your engine (Confirmed)

• ECU comes fully enabled, no additional charges for advanced features (Confirmed)
Old 01-31-2015, 01:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. I was considering one of these, but decided to go with the Infinity instead. I'm also installing mine on an 06+ chassis. I've decided to remove the stock ECU completely. I'm using a custom patch harness. I'm pulling the DBW controller, and running a cable actuated throttle. The dash is staying in place, but I'm not going to be spending any time trying to get the OEM cluster to work, as I am installing an AiM MXL2 in front of it.

From what I'm reading, it sounds like you want to control the DBW throttle using the Haltech, while retaining the OEM ecu for the VSA. You can't have both, and have to decide on having one or the other. The stock VSA system uses both brakes AND throttle control control. So either you wire the Haltech to control the DBW throttle directly, or you run it as a piggypack to control fuel/spark while the OEM ecu handles the throttle control.

You need to decide how you want to control the throttle before you order the patch harness from Boomslang. They will be wired a bit differently, depending on what you decide to do. For the closest OEM experience, wire it so that the OEM ECU controls the throttle. Once you remove that link between the stock ECU and DBW controller, you're going to have a permanent CEL. Also, the OEM VSA system won't be able to step in to control the throttle if you're using the Haltech for the throttle control.

What's your motivation for controlling the throttle directly with the Haltech? The only reason you'd want Haltech to directly control the throttle would be for advanced traction control strategies, advanced anti-lag setup if you're turbo'd, power cut for a sequential transmission, etc.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the info, the car has some drive-ability issues due to the amount of modifications, this is why I want to potentially generate custom throttle maps. Switching pins in the harness shouldn't be too much of a hassle, its something I want to do some R&D with. I have the pin-out from Honda for 06+ cars. Haltech may make a complete plug and play unit to install and replace the factory ecu based on my findings.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If there's a driveability problem, then the cure is within the main fuel/ignition maps, and the fuel/ignition trims during transient throttle.

Still sounds like you need to figure out what you want to accomplish before you get too deep. Just make sure you know the limitations. There is no way to have your cake and eat it too when using a full standalone with the DBW cars.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:27 PM

Small update, I've had the unit in the car and powered on to make sure its working. Haltech got me a base tune to start with and I just took a class on the Elite, hopefully in the next few weeks I can have it in the car and running and tweaking whatever needs to be done so that I can get the car running nicely again.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by 06Estukay
If there's a driveability problem, then the cure is within the main fuel/ignition maps, and the fuel/ignition trims during transient throttle.

Still sounds like you need to figure out what you want to accomplish before you get too deep. Just make sure you know the limitations. There is no way to have your cake and eat it too when using a full standalone with the DBW cars.

The problem was the throttle body, it was a maxbore that had been in the car for about 4 years. For whatever reason it stopped working correctly, swapped back to OEM and the car runs much smoother. As far as what I want to do, the car is a semi-dedicated track car that can be street driven. That has and always will be its purpose. It's not a serious thing for me, I just enjoy HPDE's and maybe I'll do more with it someday. As for what the ECU can do, its pretty awesome thus far. We just have to figure out the DBW system, Haltech has made some leaps in this department and since I am close to them I hope we can put some time into getting it all sorted and getting the car as close to how it feels from the factory, just with an aftermarket ECU, hopefully better than OEM.
Old 05-22-2023, 04:01 PM

sorry to bring back an old thread. im missing some info and figured the knowledge on this thread would know the answer. running the elite 1500 and pnp harness. did anyone have issues with stock cluster or is it supposed to work as designed without the oem ecu piggyback?
Old 06-03-2023, 10:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is working perfectly fine.