Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Yamaha R3

Old 06-25-2015, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't want to threadjack, but S2000junky sounds like you're familiar with KTM. If someone goes the RC 390 route, how is the KTM dealer support in the US? I haven't done a lot of reading but it seems like KTM dealerships might be few and far between compared to the big Japanese brands, and knowledgeable mechanics might be hard to find so service may be spotty. How accurate is this? I know it will vary region to region but I'm saying overall.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:11 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K Al
Don't want to threadjack, but S2000junky sounds like you're familiar with KTM. If someone goes the RC 390 route, how is the KTM dealer support in the US? I haven't done a lot of reading but it seems like KTM dealerships might be few and far between compared to the big Japanese brands, and knowledgeable mechanics might be hard to find so service may be spotty. How accurate is this? I know it will vary region to region but I'm saying overall.
I couldn’t say where you are support wise, but in Seattle area support is very good. As a whole KTM parts are just as easy to acquire as Japanese. KTM has been around since the 70's and really got heavy in the market place competing with Japan in America in the early 2000's, so parts and support these days is identical id say. But I would do a little local research on nearby tech support. As for parts they can be had online easy. Many outlets for ordering stuff online.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I am in small market Minneapolis, and unless you are in a deep rural area you should be fine. I have 3 KTM dealers within 50 miles and 5 within 100. I don't think they do volume and they sell other brands, but I looked at the DUKE 390 and was confident if I needed something from a dealer, I'd be able to get it.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am looking into the starter bike market. There are Ninja 300's w/ ABS for $2500 local to me. At that price, despite the good reviews I'm reading about the RC390, R3 and CBR300R, its hard not to go with the Ninja.

I also would consider the CBR500R, and have been including SV650's in my search as well remembering from back in the day how many considered that to be the best starter bike. Have you checked for any of those OP?
Where do you live? I would love to snatch a 300 with ABS for that price. They're all $3500 and up where I'm at.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:01 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I too am looking into the starter bike market. There are Ninja 300's w/ ABS for $2500 local to me. At that price, despite the good reviews I'm reading about the RC390, R3 and CBR300R, its hard not to go with the Ninja.

I also would consider the CBR500R, and have been including SV650's in my search as well remembering from back in the day how many considered that to be the best starter bike. Have you checked for any of those OP?

I bought the CB500f, and love it. A little more money up front than a Ninja 300 or R3, but I have the abs. It keeps up ok with some bigger bikes with a little work in the throttle and more shifting, and got me 80mpg on my first day long ride. Since I am starting all this late in life it may be my only bike ever and am ok with finding it powerful enough for my relaxed needs.

I might even ride it to Alaska in the next couple years. Seriously. A bike for that kind of ride might need a little more power, but it will make it.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Originally Posted by S2K Al' timestamp='1435114291' post='23658294

I bought the CB500f, and love it. A little more money up front than a Ninja 300 or R3, but I have the abs. It keeps up ok with some bigger bikes with a little work in the throttle and more shifting, and got me 80mpg on my first day long ride. Since I am starting all this late in life it may be my only bike ever and am ok with finding it powerful enough for my relaxed needs.

I might even ride it to Alaska in the next couple years. Seriously. A bike for that kind of ride might need a little more power, but it will make it.
Awesome choice! That definitely sounds like the direction I would have gone too (*sob sob*). Looks sexy IMO. Pics?
Old 09-04-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

I got too hoon around on a Duke 390 a couple of weekends in a row in the Green Mountains of New Hampshire. That bike is CRAZY fun! Makes my SV650 feel like a hulking overweight pig! Suspension was quite firm and damping was very good out of the box, unlike the entry Japanese bikes which invariably have unbelievably (dangerously, even) mushy suspensions, especially forks. The engine wakes up above 6000rpm and the bike is so light you won't believe it's only got 44hp.

I rode curvy backroads, dirt roads that bordered on trials, and some highways, and the bike never failed to be a delight.
NEVER felt like a "budget bike". Coolest new bike in ages! Highly recommended...
Old 09-06-2015, 09:04 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
I got too hoon around on a Duke 390 a couple of weekends in a row in the Green Mountains of New Hampshire. That bike is CRAZY fun! Makes my SV650 feel like a hulking overweight pig! Suspension was quite firm and damping was very good out of the box, unlike the entry Japanese bikes which invariably have unbelievably (dangerously, even) mushy suspensions, especially forks. The engine wakes up above 6000rpm and the bike is so light you won't believe it's only got 44hp.

I rode curvy backroads, dirt roads that bordered on trials, and some highways, and the bike never failed to be a delight.
NEVER felt like a "budget bike". Coolest new bike in ages! Highly recommended...
There is nothing budget about KTM, never had been in their 40 something year history of making motorcycles, no matter what the size or displacement is, all of them are built with the same high level of quality and parts equip and it shows. This goes for their dirt bikes as well. Excellent suspension, Brembo brakes and Gremica hydrolic actuated clutches. Best wheels, bars and accessories. Stuff you would upgrade on a Japanese bike but already comes on a KTM from the factory. Nothing wrong with Japanese bikes, they do what they do very well and I have owned several just like the cars, but KTM has always been one notch above. Like an Italian bike but without the service cost and reliability issues/pains.