Oregon S2000 Owners The Club forum for S2000 Owners in Oregon and SW Washington.

New/replacement keys...cheap

Old 02-24-2015, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New/replacement keys...cheap

Well, I (like an idiot) lost my spare keys. I had resigned myself to getting them from the dealership because I figured that was the only way. However, after my girlfriend locked our keys in the car and paid a hefty price for a locksmith to bail her out I was motivated to find a better deal.

The dealership told me ~$320 after they ordered the parts (key blank and fob) and would need the car for the better part of a day! Having had a bad previous experience with the dealership (~$350 to run codes for a check engine light) I started calling around and googling. I found a few people that said ACE hardware or Home Depot could do the key way cheaper but I had no such luck.

After searching more, and making PHONE CALLS (remember those?) I found a locksmith in Portland: AA Express Locksmith (97th and Burnside, (503) 251-2751) that could do both the key and fob for a quoted $125 and it would take ~20 minutes! Holy sh%t was I excited aboot that! HOWEVER...they LIED!!!

They misquoted the price, it was only $75 for the key AND fob, and they also only took ~10 minutes to do it. Moreover, they wouldn't accept payment until the function of the new key and fob were confirmed.

Anywho, I hope this isn't gratuitous but I'm just so happy about the savings that I thought I'd pass the info along. If you need an extra key, go get one and get it through a locksmith! If you are in Portland, there is only one place to get it(them) and it's the place I just mentioned.

Happy motoring, on this early arriving spring!

btw, I'm 13 yeas into owning this car (original owner) and I love it as much as the first day...and recently crossed the high-mileage boundary to 45k miles
Old 02-25-2015, 06:38 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That's a great price!
They were even able to program the key/immobilizer?
I'm surprised at that actually. I didn't think that was doable.
Moreso, it won't work for AP2 since those are laser-cut keys, but still good info.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sabre
That's a great price!
They were even able to program the key/immobilizer?
I'm surprised at that actually. I didn't think that was doable.
Moreso, it won't work for AP2 since those are laser-cut keys, but still good info.
Yep, they programmed the key and fob right there, took less than 15 minutes, and I used the new key to get into the car and drive it home just to be sure. There were other locksmiths in town that said they could do the key, but couldn't do the fob. These guys could do both. I have an AP1 so maybe it's different for me, they were super easy to talk to and willing to answer questions so i'm sure you could call and find out about an AP2.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:20 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Fobs you can do yourself actually. They are pretty easy.
The key is what surprises me.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:46 AM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Good tips and info. I might move this to the deals thread.

Ap2 wise you can get cheap blanks off eBay and just have honda do the programming of them. That's usually the most cost effective way from what I've found. Our Hillsboro honda connection generally does the programming for a reduced price.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great information! I've owned my s for 7 years with no spare keys. I'll have to stop by there as my parents live 8 blocks away from that place. Does the key fob look exactly like oem?
Old 02-27-2015, 07:13 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Good to know!
Old 03-03-2015, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by S2k-2NV
Does the key fob look exactly like oem?
Yep, the fob is identical, honda logo and all. The key is generic though, although as someone said above, you can buy a honda blank I think and maybe have them program it for you. I'd ask them first though.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:11 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

How much was the fob?

I am assuming $75 for the programming plus the cost of the key (from Honda) and the cost of the fob (from AA)? I need both as I am bound to lose a key at some point and just took out the #*#^}^{%]^!! aftermarket alarm system so no longer have a fob.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by arsenal
How much was the fob?

I am assuming $75 for the programming plus the cost of the key (from Honda) and the cost of the fob (from AA)? I need both as I am bound to lose a key at some point and just took out the #*#^}^{%]^!! aftermarket alarm system so no longer have a fob.
$75 included the key, fob, and programming. I think the fob+programming was $50

You could always call them and confirm, but that sounds right.

Quick Reply: New/replacement keys...cheap