UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

MB goes racing season 4

Old 03-10-2015, 12:49 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default MB goes racing season 4

I was beginning to think I'd never see the car back up and running!

Basically last season was a total disaster. POS engine built by Urge failed and took an age to get fixed, reinstalled and mapped. I've had to fully fund the repair myself, which I still maintain is unacceptable for an engine lasting less than 100 miles for what this cost. It's been a big financial hit and ruined my race season.

The car was putting out a lot of power, at the advised 9500 Rev limit. It hit 275 whp (325 bhp) on TDI dyno, about 70bhp more than an S with a few breathing mods. But not much good if it destroys itself within miles.

I got it rebuild by a real expert in these engines, but he ditched the shaved 2.2 crank for a standard one as he said it was not a good idea to modify a crank like the one supplied. Same Pistons etc have been used, but the whole assembly has been very finely balanced. Given the heavier crank I was expecting it would be putting out less power... Anyway Romain mapped it today at SRR, and I requested an 8500 rpm limit. We found that it actually needed a lot more fuel from 8000 onwards, so it's making more power than before the rebuild! A real testament to how it's been put together, and it sounds unbelievably smooth. The cams appear to want to make power up to 9500 but there's no way it will run at those piston speeds.

End result is 240bhp at the wheels / 285 atf, but with close to 200 lbs ft torque Not worth comparing the TDI and SRR graphs as they are totally different dynos, but on the TDI one you can see mine vs stock car, then assume it's probably now making even more at 8000 rpm onwards.

It's a beast on the road, especially given it's sub 1100kg weight and 4.4 diff

Other mods are a Koyo rad and 25 row oil cooler as the previous one was full of dead bearings. Added another Spa gauge for fuel pressure and coolant temp and also changed the intake setup with a couple of ducts.

Anyway, the plan is to get it on track and get some confidence in its reliability. I should make a handful of races this year, including Silverstone 40 minute race 10th May, possibly Rockingham the following weekend and Spa in June.

Fingers crossed!

Old 03-10-2015, 12:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great to see this fixed Mark! Best of luck for the new season!

Mike
Old 03-10-2015, 01:04 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Best of luck Mark, car looks good
Old 03-10-2015, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job mark. Does your ecu see oil pressure and can it run Rev limits per oil pressure!?
Old 03-10-2015, 01:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh and I really like the carbon gear shift surround thing
Old 03-10-2015, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great! What do you race it in? Roadsports?
Old 03-10-2015, 01:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to see you've come through all that crap with Urge and out the other side with a great engine.
You're old one seems to be particularly fond of the twisty roads in the highlands!
All the best for the new season
Old 03-10-2015, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good work Mark, take those silly fwd cars down!
Old 03-10-2015, 01:48 PM
MB

Thanks all, will be sure to report progress.

Originally Posted by mattie170
Good job mark. Does your ecu see oil pressure and can it run Rev limits per oil pressure!?
It's set to cut revs to 3000 on 115/120 deg c oil temp, and same for pressure but can't remember what psi! I just have to tap a wire from the SPA to the ecu but it's all setup. Coolant temp cut too.

Originally Posted by Pleb
Looks great! What do you race it in? Roadsports?
Honda VTEC Challenge previously, but will be racing it in CSCC modern classics this year.

Originally Posted by Mortlach
Good to see you've come through all that crap with Urge and out the other side with a great engine.
You're old one seems to be particularly fond of the twisty roads in the highlands!
All the best for the new season
I should never have sold that! Glad it's running well.

Originally Posted by nick300zx
Good work Mark, take those silly fwd cars down!
That's the plan!
Old 03-10-2015, 01:49 PM
MB

Here's the race it died.

http://youtu.be/9UOFMUIaIG0

Apparently the kerb did it

Quick Reply: MB goes racing season 4