S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Downsides to canvas top?

Old 04-07-2015, 04:48 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Downsides to canvas top?

In the next couple of weeks, we'll be replacing the S2000's top; too many tears, not going to try repairing them anymore. We've lined up a place we trust to handle installation, and have inquired about a Stayfast (brand?) cloth top instead of vinyl. I'm sure it's going to look great, but are there any downsides? Especially, will it negatively impact the ease of lowering the top? Other issues?
Old 04-07-2015, 05:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tiger1964
In the next couple of weeks, we'll be replacing the S2000's top; too many tears, not going to try repairing them anymore. We've lined up a place we trust to handle installation, and have inquired about a Stayfast (brand?) cloth top instead of vinyl. I'm sure it's going to look great, but are there any downsides? Especially, will it negatively impact the ease of lowering the top? Other issues?
I used the canvas Robbins top & it looks great. Going on about 2 years now. No issues operating the top. I wrapped the bars (in the problem area) with felt tape used on power window tracks to try & minimize wear on the new top, this also seems to work great. The only difference I notice is that the canvas shows more dirt, it seems to be a "stickier" surface than the vinyl top. I wash my car often so this not a big deal to me. In my opinion the canvas looks like a richer black. I also treated the canvas with a spray, I can't remember the brand. Water beads right off.

New top will look great!

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/901...s-oem-softtop/
Old 04-08-2015, 06:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Protectant is a bit more of a pain to apply with fabric versus vinyl.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by takeshi
Protectant is a bit more of a pain to apply with fabric versus vinyl.
Interesting; anyway, the Boxster has a cloth top and in the Porsche community they have a favorite top-treatment product. I guess I'll simply get extra and apply to both.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What I have observed about cloth tops is they eventually show marks where the top folds. I have seen this on my mothers Solara and even on some high end European cars. The problem is the nap of the cloth wears away where the top rubs on itself when folded.

All the top treatment in the world will not add back the worn away nap.

Not condemning cloth tops.

Just an observation.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Downside? Cats.
I need to buy a cover for the Saturn so dad won't be on my case about it lol.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The fabric is far superior IMHO. Can't comment on life as only had fabric 2 years now. Vinyl ? Count my stars. OEM was awesome and used plexus cleaner on my plastic window. Looked great after 10 years but was showing "signs". I went with a Robbins fabric w/ glass. Love it.

As for care:
1) Horse hair brush to scrub
2) Use Rag Top cleaner (w/ brush)
3) Use Rag Sealer

Look is awesome!,,

Utah

p.S. downside is when you wash you need to care for the fabric (scrub and seal); as opposed to just wash.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by HUNTERANGEL121
Downside? Cats.
If a cat takes up residence in our garage, he's gonna have serious problems.

Originally Posted by EELPIE
What I have observed about cloth tops is they eventually show marks where the top folds.
OK, will take that into consideration.

Originally Posted by Utah S2K
2) Use Rag Top cleaner (w/ brush)
THAT's the stuff, I think, that I heard about.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EELPIE
What I have observed about cloth tops is they eventually show marks where the top folds. I have seen this on my mothers Solara and even on some high end European cars. The problem is the nap of the cloth wears away where the top rubs on itself when folded.

All the top treatment in the world will not add back the worn away nap.

Not condemning cloth tops.

Just an observation.
Purchased my s with a canvas top and can confirm, it does show wear marks on the topside of the folds (not terrible looking, but leaves a hue of ( ) around the middle of the top.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:51 AM

Well, picked up the car last night; spent a little more than I would have liked. It looks great. Alas, the installer suggests leaving the top up for a full week while it "stretches". My wife drove it home with me following, she swears the car is quieter inside now. MY only concern are the tension straps, which we had replaced again, working correctly and not allowing the new top to "pinch" and cause new tears.

Quick Reply: Downsides to canvas top?