UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New soft top!

Old 04-08-2015, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New soft top!

I'm booking in at carhoods northern for a new soft top (as long as I get the replies I'm expecting haha)

Well my 07 soft top is looking a bit tired and I fancy sprucing it up a bit so Im thinking of going for a dark red/burgandy colour. My car is moonrock grey.

What do you guys think of the colour choice (should I play it safe and just get a black one? ) also have you heard about these guys at all? A few people I have spoke to said the work they do is outstanding. What do you think?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2015, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Ste Short
should I play it safe and just get a black one?
Personally, I would say yes. Although I am sure there will be people along shortly to suggest different colours to black and encourage you to do that.

Get what YOU want at the end of the day, I would say if you are keeping the car for a long time that's a good idea. On the other hand I think a non standard colour for something like a soft top may put buyers off when it comes to sale time.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:43 AM

I see they come to your home and expect it will be guaranteed given that it costs a massive £1100

I'm personally going to Swansea to get mine sorted by Jack
Old 04-08-2015, 10:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ste Short
I'm booking in at carhoods northern for a new soft top (as long as I get the replies I'm expecting haha)

Well my 07 soft top is looking a bit tired and I fancy sprucing it up a bit so Im thinking of going for a dark red/burgandy colour. My car is moonrock grey.

What do you guys think of the colour choice (should I play it safe and just get a black one? ) also have you heard about these guys at all? A few people I have spoke to said the work they do is outstanding. What do you think?

Thanks
I'm having a new mohair top fitted, I've done a lot of research and I've found prices from under £300 to £1300. The guy I've chosen comes to you for an extra £30, well worth it to me.
Not Jack Smith price but the for the convenience and quality it's worth what I am paying to me. I have no personal experience to doubt that for what Jack Smith charges you get a reasonable job but if you take the cost of 6 hours labour off the price it doesn't leave much left for the hood so I am prepared to pay the extra.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the Jack Smith roof, it's not perfect in that there were a few threads here and there, but it does the job, looks great and keeps me dry.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:47 AM

Jack Smith had a burgundy hood when I went down to have mine replaced on my 07 Moonrock. For the price I thought it was worth the experiment and I really like the look... Although admittedly it would work better on a silverstone or black car. I'm not sure if I would have taken the plunge if I were paying main dealer prices. For the money Jack does a tremendous job, there really isn't any reason to let your hood get ratty looking for the price he charges!

The colour is personal after all, but I'm still pleased with my red hood!
Old 04-08-2015, 10:51 AM

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/1099859-new-hood/
Old 04-08-2015, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me, if I had a good low miler I'd probably opt for a quality job but I'm not sure I'd pay top money for a burgundy one, maybe a very dark burgundy, I'd go for a standard look.
I seen a silver 06 MX5 on Gumtree recenyly with a dark brown roof which looked really good but not with red seats
Old 04-08-2015, 11:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing wrong with Jack Smiths roofs, decent thick material, stitching nice and strong, no water getting into the cabin and colour hasn't faded after a year. £300 bargain, you'd be silly to pay £1000+.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchy
For me, if I had a good low miler I'd probably opt for a quality job but I'm not sure I'd pay top money for a burgundy one, maybe a very dark burgundy, I'd go for a standard look.
I seen a silver 06 MX5 on Gumtree recenyly with a dark brown roof which looked really good but not with red seats
06 with 36k, FSH by Honda so serviced every 4.5k. I therefore would like a quality hood and I don't have to waste time that I need for more important things driving over 200+ miles each way, plus the cost of petrol and a hotel.
I have no reason to doubt Jack Smiths work but I need the hood to be a guaranteed quality one in mohair, plus the guy coming to me gives me time that I need for other things so that is a bonus.
We all have different requirements, other people will do things different.

Quick Reply: New soft top!