Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

How much should I sell my S2000 for?

Old 04-15-2015, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much should I sell my S2000 for?

Hello, long time member here but I rarely post anything, so most (if not) all of you do not know me.

Sadly, it is time to let my S2000 go and get a more baby-friendly vehicle. If you will, please help me with determining what is the reasonable dollar amount that I should expect for my car.

2000 Honda S2000;
NFR;
~125K miles;
Never been modified;
Soft top was cut so I replaced it with a top with rear glass;
Sony CD player and speakers;
Deep key scratch on trunk;
Light key scratches on passenger side door and quarter panel;
Windshield has 3 rock chips and a crack;
Some scratches on 2 of the wheels;
It runs like a champ, no mechanical issues; and
All fours tires have about 75% left.

Burien Toyota offered me $5000 to trade-in, I "politely" decline. I was hoping to get about $8000 for trade-in and possibly $9,500 if I sell privately, is it too much to ask for?

The value listed on KBB and Edmund are quite shocking, I found that a little insulting. I know most of us are here are S2000 owners so our opinions might be a little bias. But I would like to know what you guys/gals think.

Thanks
Old 04-15-2015, 03:21 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

$5k is way to low. Clean title? If the title is clean it should be a $10k car from what I have seen. 125k miles isn't outragous and $10k for this car is a deal no matter how you cut it. I would talk to a few body shops and see if they could fix the key scratches for a reasonable price as most buyers would use that as a reason to pay less. If the title is salvage you are probably looking in the $8-9k range depending on how the work was done and if everything was well documented.

If it was me I would list it at $12k and let someone feel like they got a good deal by letting them talk me down to between $9500-11,000.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
$5k is way to low. Clean title? If the title is clean it should be a $10k car from what I have seen. 125k miles isn't outragous and $10k for this car is a deal no matter how you cut it. I would talk to a few body shops and see if they could fix the key scratches for a reasonable price as most buyers would use that as a reason to pay less. If the title is salvage you are probably looking in the $8-9k range depending on how the work was done and if everything was well documented.

If it was me I would list it at $12k and let someone feel like they got a good deal by letting them talk me down to between $9500-11,000.
Yes, clean title. I've talked to a friend who owns a body shop, he said it would take upward of $1500 to fix all the scratches. He suggested that the costs to fix the scratches will not cover the added value to the vehicle.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:55 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

$1500? Sounds like you need a new friend. Shop around. You may try messaging Urban_DK as he had some paint work done on his car and the guy he used did a good job and it was much cheaper than others. You could also contact this guy

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/110...#entry23425036

I know several local local members have used him. Maybe at least get the worst one fixed or expect to get less for the car.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

To put in perspective, last year I sold my 01 Silverstone w/ 131k miles for $9500. It was in great condition inside and out, tires had good tread, only thing that didn't make it presentable for sale was the plastic soft top, it was all fogged up but the vinyl was great nonetheless. I would go with what was said above, privately list it for $11500-12k. With the description you gave, you shouldn't have any issues getting interest with all the junk I just looked at on craigslist. If you have any aftermarket, remove it and put it back to stock, buyers are often looking for unmolested cars, radio as well. The last thing you want to do is trade it in to dealer, they would be making 100% profit off the price they gave you.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, I can't believe a person would buy a car with 100k miles for $10-12k. These cars people beat the piss out of them, ap1 rev 9k all day, baby. If you do decide to trade your car into Burien Toyota for $5k, just sell it to me instead for $5k cash I need an ap1 track car sir and I would put great use to your beloved NFR
Old 04-16-2015, 03:29 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

The only way to tell what the car is "worth" is to advertise it for sale.

Try $11,999 on Craig's List and see how many phone calls you get. If you post early in the morning and your mobile phone is ringing on the way to work there's interest. If no calls all day (or two) it's too overpriced to even call on. Start dropping the price.

I guarantee you'll not be able to use your phone at all if you advertise it at $5,000 as you'll be swamped with calls.

-- Chuck
Old 04-16-2015, 07:43 AM

Well, I posted it on Craigslist for $10k firm at around 7 pm last night. Since then I've received two phone calls and three emails about my car, so I guess there is a market at $10k.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:18 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Seattle S2K
Well, I posted it on Craigslist for $10k firm at around 7 pm last night. Since then I've received two phone calls and three emails about my car, so I guess there is a market at $10k.
You can always start high and go down, but you can’t start low and go up. I think your short changing the car a little bit in today’s market, but something to be said for taking your approach of less haggling and a quicker sale. I think you should have no trouble getting 10k for it. I wouldn’t budge far off from that. Other then a few cosmetic issues which are common on a 15 year old car, it looks/sounds to be in quite nice shape. Clean stock mechanically sound examples are getting harder to find and people will pay for them because that’s what they are waiting to find.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on the market, I'd have asked $10,000 as well. Just hold pretty firm to your price--fair deal for both the buyer and seller. Maybe get that windshield fixed, hopefully insurance will even help cover that.

Quick Reply: How much should I sell my S2000 for?