UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Supercharging - how important is an oil cooler and uprated radiator?

Old 04-22-2015, 01:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Supercharging - how important is an oil cooler and uprated radiator?

Hi guys,

I'm going supercharged very soon so just looking at supporting mods. On the US side of the forum they do say an uprated radiator is highly recommended as well as an oil cooler - but in the UK we don't really get anywhere near the temperatures they get so not sure.

Once I get the supercharger I do intend to do a few track days and I have been reading that cooling is an issue. I think once done I would probably say car will be used 70% Road and 30% Track with hopefully a few long Euro runs along the way.

I've never had an issue with temperatures in my standard car however.

I have a CAI (AEM V2) in my car at the moment which will have to be removed when I install the supercharger BUT I would like to fabricate something similar so wouldn't want to mount an oil cooler in the drivers side front of the bumper and the middle will obviously be taken up with the intercooler. Any other good mounting points? Passenger side might be too long a run and reduce oil pressure too much I was thinking.

Regarding the radiator, since I would like to fabricate some kind of cold air intake, which is the slimmest I can get that still offers a cooling improvement?

Thanks for your suggestions
Anees
Old 04-22-2015, 01:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get all of that and relocate your IAT sensor.

The sensor heat soaks in the manifold and gives a false reading resulting in a drop in power.

Temps wise, the hotter you get the more your bearing clearances will change, too hot can mean stuff breaks. Fit an OBD style gauge/reader to watch your water temperatures and an oil temp sensor, pit in when it's getting too hot.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since you mentioned track days I agree, the oem radiator is actually pretty good I ran no oil cooler and oem radiator for years on my old 15psi Novi sc setup.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:26 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have an oil cooler & still have my standard rad although admittedly I've only done 1 track day since going F/I over 2.5 years ago. I've done long motorway runs (5+ hours) and never had any issues with heat.

If I were to start doing more track days then I would definitely be looking at ways to keep temperatures down.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have spent a fortune trying to keep temps under control. I have been able to drive the car hard enough on the road to even get a fullblown rad to start cooking. Without a doubt the dual pass rad I had made sorted all water temp issues, even on track two weeks ago running 1.6 bar boost it ranged from 84-87c(I'm turbo now so it puts more stain on oil cooling than sc). I run a 25 row oil cooler and a 80c oil stat with -10 lines. I have found -10 lines improve oil pressure at high rpm over -8

Do all the above and you will be sorted. As a side note you don't need any big fancy fans as the rad is so good, down side is the rad is about £600 but that's cheap compared to a mugen which isn't even in the same league.

Cooling and a good tune are key to fi being reliable. As razz said move the iat sensor as its a false reading. Best to get it out of the engine bay if you can and just after the ic(if you run a ic).
Old 04-22-2015, 01:52 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Trackdays on a NA engine will chuck 125c into the oil pretty easily so i think an oil cooler is essential on a track car. It will just take the edges off of the temperatures. You need to size your cooler wisely thou as the S2000 oil pump flows alot of oil and in fitting a cooler you can end up causing alot of oil pressure restriction which would probably outweigh the benefits of the cooler.

Generally more rows = less pressure drop. I opted for the largest Laminova cooler which is big and clumbersome but it does the job and the pressure drop is minimal.

The oem rad is good but chances are yours is old and the fins will be corroding. I fitted a tegiwa item and the coolant temperatures improved massively. There is no chance im going to overheat on track with the wider rad. It gives me some peace of mind on track which is what you need when pushing on.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:30 PM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Useful stuff to this. I'm supercharging in the summer, and I expect to use it on track.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:55 AM

Thanks guys - very useful info!

Oil Cooler wise I was thinking of going for the Mishimoto unit

http://www.mishimoto.co.uk/honda-s20...kit-00-09.html

(Not sure where to mount it however)

and for the radiator
http://www.mishimoto.co.uk/honda-s20...nce-00-05.html
Old 04-23-2015, 05:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Mishimoto rad will still over heat if used hard on track. Only way around it is the use of massive fans which aren't cheap. To get the cars boosted and to keep cool on track you have to spend serious money! Be careful with big fans as they can cause idle issues as they pull such massive currents.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by mattie170
The Mishimoto rad will still over heat if used hard on track. Only way around it is the use of massive fans which aren't cheap. To get the cars boosted and to keep cool on track you have to spend serious money! Be careful with big fans as they can cause idle issues as they pull such massive currents.
Seen that Tegiwa make a similar radiator too and so do Koyo. Any differences or are they all a much of a muchness?

I would like a cold air feed similar to my AEM V2 for the supercharger so ideally I'd like a radiator as slim as possible or smaller fans (which I know makes it less efficient).

Any recommendations on where to mount the oil cooler?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Supercharging - how important is an oil cooler and uprated radiator?