UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Not getting on with my S2000 - back ache

Old 04-23-2015, 12:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An interesting discussion - a few years ago my lumbar region was reinforced by the addition of some titanium rods and screws, the result of a problem which caused pressure on the sciatic nerve. I was at the time doing many thousands of business miles, mostly in a Ford Focus. One of my employer's concessions to my condition was a visit from a woman from Posturite who was largely useless and kept talking about herself, but did arrange for a new office chair (I was home-based) and a "D-roll" for the car seat, which had a removable cover and a strap which was supposed to keep it in position on the car seat. It singularly failed to do this, as the seats had side bolsters.

When I made my escape I kept the D-roll. I removed the cover (and strap) and have inserted the D-profile foam behind the padded seat back panel in the S, where it makes the seat much more comfortable and gives me better lumbar support.

In my Mark 1 Golf GTI days I had a Zender inflatable lumbar support cushion - again, the seat back padding could be pulled forward to enable the cushion to be slipped behind, and was inflated by pumping a rubber bulb, as a doctor uses on the tourniquet when taking your blood pressure. Trawling the interweb I found similar cushions available from Demon Tweeks. If the D-roll continues to provide adequate support I'll stick with it, but I'm tempted by an inflatable cushion simply because it would be adjustable.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:08 PM

Received 245 Likes on 211 Posts

I have a couple of pads similar to the aforementioned d-roll and use one in cars and my van, now I wouldn't be without one, I also have a small lumbar pad made by sparco, same job but less bulky, I'd find an upholsterer and try some bits of high density foam as an experiment?
Old 04-23-2015, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a fellow 6'er I had the same issue in the first couple of months if having the car.

You do end up feeling you are sat too high and the lack of steering adjustment makes finding a good position hard.

Lower seat rails and an aftermarket seat would be the best solution but it is possible through lots of fine tuning to get a position that's comfortable, though you will always feel too high for a sports car in stock form.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by CHIPPO
Looking at the seats later I realised the squab on the rear of the seat is actually only fixed in top and bottom ( certainly on early cars ) so you pull this forward , I experimented with some 1/2" foam sheet stuffed in there several layers in the end until my back ache went and so it's been ever since .
After a busy couple of weeks I now really need to get the seat sorted. The daily commute is playing havoc with my back.

I have a 2004 facelift, do you know where I should be inserting the foam/lumbar cushion? Does it slip into what looks like the pocket at the back of the seat?
Old 05-06-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Yes that's the place
Old 05-06-2015, 12:50 PM

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts

Low down, about 1 to 2 inches above the bottom edge. Slide up / down for your spine.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:02 PM

I've had my car for a week now and i'm going through a sort of similar thing i've been getting a bit of lower back ache. I've put in some eggshell sound proofing foam and focused on finding the right seat position. Going to see how it feels from now as i only did this tonight.

One other thing i was getting was a warm sensation at my lower back then my leg occasionally the past few days, No idea why and it was after driving for like 15mins but the only thing that i changed was my trousers (sounds silly i know) but i think my trousers were that little bit too tight around my waist and potentially cutting off blood flow or something.

Hope you find a solution as it is the most annoying thing in the world!