UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Twitchy rear end

Old 04-23-2015, 07:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Twitchy rear end

A few weeks ago, I changed my nearside rear tyre as it was nearing the limit. I currently run f1 eagles on all four corners; since then whenever I'm on the motorway and i decelerate or accelerate, the rear end doesnt run true and the car twitches. (Its really nerve-wracking especially when taking long bends at those sort of speeds) Now this has usually happened in the past when tyre pressures were not at 32psi, and I have checked this. I have balanced the rear tyres (25 and 15 respectively) so its not that. I did jack up the rear on the diff, and noticed that the inside of the rear driver wheel was bouncing up and down. I'm assuming this means a buckled wheel? I also tend to hear knocking / plonk sounds from the rear when going over potholes or over speed bumps as well. I've got some time on a mechanics ramp on saturday so would really like to fix the issue then. Is there anything I can do between now and then to check what the issue is, and purchase parts in preparation?
Old 04-23-2015, 07:43 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

You have changed one rear tyre, how much tread is there on the other plus the rubber will have hardened on the older tyre
Old 04-23-2015, 08:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bloke changes one tyre and can't understand why things are different.

It's a mysterious world out there.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless the treads are similar, its going to feel really weird. Change the other rear too and see how you get on. I think they would have noticed if a wheel was bent when they balanced it.

Checked your geo recently? Could be out and the new tyre is just amplifying it.

Another thought, but I think there are a couple of different 'versions' of the F1 as well for different load-ratings. Did you get the same version?
Old 04-23-2015, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daytona-Dave
You have changed one rear tyre, how much tread is there on the other plus the rubber will have hardened on the older tyre

bad idea doing just one tyre!
Old 04-23-2015, 09:41 AM

Really? I changed the driver side tyres back in September before megameet. There's loads of tread on that tyre. I didn't have this issue back in September when changing the driver side rear. Only came about when changing the passenger side rear.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Trunkz
Really? I changed the driver side tyres back in September before megameet. There's loads of tread on that tyre. I didn't have this issue back in September when changing the driver side rear. Only came about when changing the passenger side rear.
Without wanting to trach you to suck eggs, the car is rear wheel drive, best do rear tyres in pairs.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:13 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I would check tyre pressures / wheel alignment / geo / binding brake / possibly diff fluid.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:47 PM
MSC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others have said and I agree its most likely the fact you didn't replace both tyres on the rear axle. This is one of the ten commandments of rear wheel drive ownership and maintenence
Old 04-23-2015, 12:54 PM

Received 245 Likes on 211 Posts

I had similar thread recently when changing tyres(I did all four though) and now done more miles it is better but still seems to be a bit like yours, on/off throttle on bends unsettles it, going to get the geo checked since maybe more tread is amplifying the effects of misalignment?

Quick Reply: Twitchy rear end